Fendermaking Course at Audlem Mill - One place left!

NB Alton

Featured Posts

Hi,

Just to let people know, we are once again running our fendermaking course at Audlem Mill next weekend (29th &30th October)and we still have one place spare.

The course is an introduction to the craft of fendermaking, you do not require any previous experience, just a willingness to learn. During the weekend trainees will produce a pair of side fenders and a button fender using techniques of crowning and half hitching. All the necessary tools and materials are provided. The course costs £115 including refreshments and lunch.

For more details or to book a place see Audlem Mills website:- http://www.audlemmill.co.uk/course%20programme.html

The course is designed to be enjoyable and informative and has attracted a number of CWDF members previously. To get their feedback and more information see previous CWDF threads http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=33461&pid=621331&st=40entry621331 and http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36684&st=0&p=660623&hl=fendermaking&fromsearch=1entry660623

:cheers: Brian

Hi,

Just to let people know, we are once again running our fendermaking course at Audlem Mill next weekend (29th &30th October)and we still have one place spare.

The course is an introduction to the craft of fendermaking, you do not require any previous experience, just a willingness to learn. During the weekend trainees will produce a pair of side fenders and a button fender using techniques of crowning and half hitching. All the necessary tools and materials are provided. The course costs £115 including refreshments and lunch.

For more details or to book a place see Audlem Mills website:- http://www.audlemmill.co.uk/course%20programme.html

The course is designed to be enjoyable and informative and has attracted a number of CWDF members previously. To get their feedback and more information see previous CWDF threads http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=33461&pid=621331&st=40entry621331 and http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36684&st=0&p=660623&hl=fendermaking&fromsearch=1entry660623

RLWP and DHutch went last year and had a brilliant time, they made me two fenders which are doing a sterling job fending off Nansen even as I type.

Hi,

hi do you know if there is a course near yrkshire west yorkshire that is cheers owen

Hi Owen,

No sorry I don't know of any courses in West Yorkshire but I think the International Guild of Knot Tyers probably have a local meeting and may offer some help & advice.

However Halifax to Audlem is only 84 miles & an hour & a half by car, there is also good B&Bs nearby! ;-)

Cheers, Brian

Glad to know those fenders are still doing there job Gill. Sorry we couldn't make the banter last weekend, sounds like a good time was had by all.

Cheers, Brian

Hi Owen,

No sorry I don't know of any courses in West Yorkshire but I think the International Guild of Knot Tyers probably have a local meeting and may offer some help & advice.

However Halifax to Audlem is only 84 miles & an hour & a half by car, there is also good B&Bs nearby! ;-)

Cheers, Brian

Glad to know those fenders are still doing there job Gill. Sorry we couldn't make the banter last weekend, sounds like a good time was had by all.

Cheers, Brian

Yes, we had a lovely time, Brian - when are you and Ann Marie coming down the Staffs and Worcs? I'm sure I can square it with Jacko - I'll send him out drinking with Ellen again ...

We do like the Staffs & Worcs, but doubt we will get down that way this winter, but maybe mext spring.... Or we could just go out drinking with Ellen instead!. I'll turn it round, when are you going to come up & see us on the Macc & Peak Forest, you would love it up here!

ATB, Brian

Hi Owen,

Cheers, Brian

Cheers, Brian

hi if the place is still there could you poss give me phone numbers or names of nearest decent B&B

hi if the place is still there could you poss give me phone numbers or names of nearest decent B&B

Peter from Audlem Mill here ...

Just ring us on 01270 811059 if you would like to book on the fender course this coming weekend.

The two nearest B&Bs are Little Heath Farm in Audlem (01270 811324), half a mile away, or Coole Hall Farm (01270 811232), about 3 miles away. The nearest pub doing B&B is the Swan at Wybunbury (01270 841280), about four miles away.

Hope to hear from you!

Peter

Whilst there, at the Mill, pop down to the Shroppie Fly for a pint of Guinness. As good a pint of the Irish nectar that you'll ever find outside of Dublin.

As you clasp your calloused hands around the cool glass, you'll forget the Fid for a moment and replenish your energy levels in readiness for the remainder of the course.

Our neighbour at the Marina, attended last year's course and has since produced some excellent results (mind you, he's a clever sod who seems at home with anything he applies himself to). :rolleyes:

Mike

Edited by Doorman

That may take longer than a weekend course Tim!

Yes I know ;), I'd be interested in a ball park price for one though Brian.

Smaller than the great lump which came with the boat, but a bit beefier than in this original drawing

Profile.gif

Tim

Profile.gif

Proper boat!

She reminds me of our friend's Tug, Frederick Whittingham II, built by Roger Fuller.

1z1se3d.jpg

Hi,

Hi Brian,

Can you please PM me with a quote to make this type of assembly. This fine example was produced by a certain Mr Hollingshead.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

We do like the Staffs & Worcs, but doubt we will get down that way this winter, but maybe mext spring.... Or we could just go out drinking with Ellen instead!. I'll turn it round, when are you going to come up & see us on the Macc & Peak Forest, you would love it up here!

ATB, Brian

I was wandering about on foot a couple of months ago Brian - it is lovely with ace beer and lovely people. So why am I in East Angular at the moment? Sits and ponders.

Ellen the only person known to have floored Jacko with a comment. We were out for an evening of conviviality with the aforementioned Mr Jackson, who after Ellen had declined her fourth pint of mild started to cheerfully rag her about her student status and lack of drinking staying power. Ellen turned to him and said " I can drink more if I wish, but I choose not to". I've never known Jacko stumped for words before. Lovely man though - feeds bonfires by hoisting a 25kg bag of anthracite over the brazier and dropping it in.

Hi Tim & Mark, sorry I've not got back to you sooner, busy day boating with the motor & butty on Marple Locks yesterday.

Tim, I'll work out a price for you next week, it would be an interesting job which I would like to do.

Mike I will PM you later today or tomorrow. Joe makes a damn good fender & is a top bloke.

Hi Tim & Mark, sorry I've not got back to you sooner, busy day boating with the motor & butty on Marple Locks yesterday.

Tim, I'll work out a price for you next week, it would be an interesting job which I would like to do.

Mike I will PM you later today or tomorrow. Joe makes a damn good fender & is a top bloke.

Thanks Brian, his brother Henry is quite a character too!

Mike

Thanks Brian, his brother Henry is quite a character too!

Mike

When Henry cycles up to go to his boat at Brewood, he cuts through the back lanes an comes passed my house. A couple of times I have seen him with two massive bags (I assume with bedding in) attached to each side of the handle bars and another huge bag attached to the back of the bike. I'm amazed he manages but he always seems to be cycling merrily along without any problem.

When Henry cycles up to go to his boat at Brewood, he cuts through the back lanes an comes passed my house. A couple of times I have seen him with two massive bags (I assume with bedding in) attached to each side of the handle bars and another huge bag attached to the back of the bike. I'm amazed he manages but he always seems to be cycling merrily along without any problem.

I've mentioned on the forum previously about our encounter with Henry, when were heading down to Kinver on The Staffs & Worcs canal. We were with friends who moor oop norf and rarely get to see characters such as him.

As we were approaching a mooring near the Navigation Pub in Swindon, this little guy appeared from out of his converted ex-working boat. He muttered something to me in a language unknown, but I gathered he was asking for my centre line so I obliged. After helping us to pull in, he entered into what can loosely be described as a 'conversation' of which I was duly fascinated. He explained about his boat being in Waterways livery and that if he ever wanted to alter it he claimed he needed their permission.

A solitary guy, who after puzzling us with his unusual tones, retired back to his boat. The following morning, he awoke at about 6.30am and prior to starting his engine, hauled the sixty footer some 50 or 60 metres away from us in order not to disturb (some) of the sleepy heads.

What an amazing little man he is :)

Mike

I've mentioned on the forum previously about our encounter with Henry

Henry was in our shop on the Shroppie a day or two ago. He always pops in when passing, and in fact this time there was a slight hold up at the lock whilst BW staff were replacing the wood at the bywash.

I had quite a long "conversation" with Henry, though i'm sure what is was about. I think it was thw winter stoppage programme, and why it should include slight widening of Hurleston locks, but I'm not really sure ....

Lovely man, though!

Peter