And another one bites the dust!

Featured Posts

Well, I have a british one in my own boat, and talking purely from our own point, we fit whatever the customer wants so long as it will work and comply. Having said that, most just want an imported one as they believe them to be 'less hassle', but you are right, most new boats have imported engines.

We always fitted Beta Marine engines, the core is a Japanese Kubota engine, really an engine you would find in a digger or dumper truck.

These engines are so reliable and smooth running we would just not want to fit anything else. Out of 35 builds we have never had a customer issue about engines.

It would be an interesting survey to know how many forum members are unhappy with their Japanese, Korean, etc powered road vehicle engines.

Totally realising that would be :smiley_offtopic:

You've hit the nail on the head Martin.

The plan was always to have her as a 'demonstrator' in the fleet but available for purchase. If she doesn't sell then she will be there next year for hire. If she does sell, we still plan to build another tug demonstrator but I'll update the forum when that comes to fruition.

At the risk of turning into a narrowboatist( :wacko::blink::wacko: ). I quite like that tug. :help:

We always fitted Beta Marine engines, the core is a Japanese Kubota engine, really an engine you would find in a digger or dumper truck.

These engines are so reliable and smooth running we would just not want to fit anything else. Out of 35 builds we have never had a customer issue about engines.

It would be an interesting survey to know how many forum members are unhappy with their Japanese, Korean, etc powered road vehicle engines.

Totally realising that would be :smiley_offtopic:

With you on this one I have had lister, bmc and at the moment Vetus. They ALL do the job well enouigh but having had two boats with beta units fitted the beta is simply better in all manner of ways, to such a point that I only changed the oil at the correct intervals but never felt the need to check its level as it never moved or the water etc.......

• 4 weeks later...

So back to William Piper.

It seems confirmed they have folded, although at least one magazine seems to imply that former employees are trying to carry on so kind of phoenix business out of the ashes.

It is also suggested in a magazine that no one having a boat built has lost money.

However the magazine confirms Pipers failure was due to "being able to pay its bills", so presumably some suppliers may end up having supplied things they don't get paid for ?

So, for this particular company, assuming they had boats in build at the time they shut their doors, does anybody actually know what the situation is for people who were paying to have those boats built ?

You've hit the nail on the head Martin.

The plan was always to have her as a 'demonstrator' in the fleet but available for purchase. If she doesn't sell then she will be there next year for hire. If she does sell, we still plan to build another tug demonstrator but I'll update the forum when that comes to fruition.

Would you re-fit the perkins for a suitably interested punter?

• 1 year later...

Which is a bit cheeky really because the current company didn't build it......

To be specific, they say "Oakcraft Narrowboats are the craftsmen who built Crick Boat Show winners, Pyrus (2009) and Barolo (2011)." so it sounds like former employees

To be specific, they say "Oakcraft Narrowboats are the craftsmen who built Crick Boat Show winners, Pyrus (2009) and Barolo (2011)." so it sounds like former employees

Definitely I would say -

But, if like the much discussed Anthony M the "craftsman" and the "director" are one and the same......

I can't recall what the situation was with William Piper - Tiggers would know, if she were prepared to spill the beans.....

This is excellent news - I greatly admired the W. Piper style, Rayburn-type cookers and reclaimed oak, and was very sorry to hear that they had not been able to make a go of the company. I wish Oak Craft all the best.

The customer for the boat pictured on their web site obviously has a sense of humour: his boat name 'Baleine' is French for "whale", not a very flattering description!

What is french for "of a time" which may be added at a later date, perhaps?

Martyn

Tee-hee!

I remember one of Piper's boats coming down through Cropredy, probably two summers ago, August 2011 - ish. it was being crewed by a couple of the firm's staff including the master carpenter, so I guess they were delivering it to the customer. I recall pointing it out to a couple of American tourists who promptly disappeared inside through its side hatch and were not seen again for ages. I think they may have placed an order by the time they finally emerged.

But, if like the much discussed Anthony M the "craftsman" and the "director" are one and the same......

I can't recall what the situation was with William Piper - Tiggers would know, if she were prepared to spill the beans.....

Wasn't this the scenario where the 'Director' left them in the lurch??.

I suspect these are the folk that were left behind and they have subsequently formed their own company - hence the wording on the new site.

Can't remember - there was some sort of schism in the staff I think. If you have ever been inside a W. Piper boat, as we did at Crick Show a couple of years ago, you'll realise why these guys should be encouraged to fit out more boats.

Can't remember - there was some sort of schism in the staff I think. If you have ever been inside a W. Piper boat, as we did at Crick Show a couple of years ago, you'll realise why these guys should be encouraged to fit out more boats.

We saw Pyrus at Crick in 2009 and it was indeed very very nicely done.

Was that the one with the little "parlour", with tiny tea table, just inside the front doors? If so, we probably followed you through it! Proper engine too, if memory serves. We voted for it as Best In Show but I think it came second.

• Greenie 1

Reason I found out about them is because a friend had some work done there last month, and recommended them to me as having done it well. I looked them up and got a bit confused by the history so had a nose around on here. I love the job they did inside Barolo (even if the exterior is not to my taste!)

Well as I have said I don't know what the situation is here, but as a generic answer on such things, I wouldn't change from the stance I took in the recent "Anthony M" thread.

If these excellent boat fitters are working for a company with a sound financial footing, where anybody handing over staged payments has as good a chance of ending up with what they are paying for as they would from any other reputable company, then that is one thing.

If however a company has been formed on dodgy ground by people who have already had one business fail, and where customers of (or suppliers to), the new business may be at risk, then I personally don't care if they are the best boat fitters ever, I'd rather not see them fitting boats on that basis.

I don't think just being excellent craftsmen necessarily qualifies people as someone you should enter into a business contract with, worth vast amounts of money. If they are not also sound and honest businessmen, I personally would avoid.

I've at least managed not to repeat my thoughts on Barolo, (the concept and exterior of, rather than the fit out - probably just as well! :lol:

There was I am pretty sure a previous discussion on here about this specific case but from memory it was removed (or unapproved as the mods now sometimes call it) - a forum search seems unable to locate it any more at least....

I've at least managed not to repeat my thoughts on Barolo, (the concept and exterior of, rather than the fit out - probably just as well! :lol:

Yes, you're a reverse-layout semi-trad man at heart, aren't you?

Apart from the unnecessary rivettes, Barolo looks pretty fine to me - I cannot remember your previous comments.

I see on t'internet that there is a Steve Hudson Barolo, too.

Company Data: http://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/oakcraft-narrowboats They were set up this time last year.

Well this squares with the fact that your link seems to say that James Birch is one of the directors of the new company.

On the face of it, if it were as straightforward as stated in my link, an employee of the old company, and not out of line with what it says in the advert.

But who knows!