What to do?

nigel carton

Featured Posts

Picking a boat up on friday and delivering to Newbury, the boat is moored on the North Oxford about a mile up from Rose narrowboats. Now the problem is the pointy end is facing north, (50') so its an 8 mile round trip to the nearest winding hole or reverse it a mile to Rose's, what to do!!

Picking a boat up on friday and delivering to Newbury, the boat is moored on the North Oxford about a mile up from Rose narrowboats. Now the problem is the pointy end is facing north, (50') so its an 8 mile round trip to the nearest winding hole or reverse it a mile to Rose's, what to do!!

Backwards matey, it'll be a laugh if nothing else! :cheers:

Backwards matey, it'll be a laugh if nothing else! :cheers:

How about backwards if you leave me a Tangle foot at Rose's narrowboats? bit of incentive!! ;)

Reverse it.

Chuck a mud weight off the bow (tie it to the t-stud first) and it will help keep a straight line.

I'd spin it round for you, before you got there, if the keys were available, but, as we've never met...

Thanks Carl, I've not met the owner either!

When we first bought our boat we moored it at Brinklow Marina and on our first trip I happily chugged past the Brinklow Arm and then realised that it was a hell of a trip to turn around! It was winter and very nearly dark before we got back. I would reverse it, it's not the most interesting bit of canal!

First place to turn is the basin on the LHS by the motorway

Any old lump of "iron" weighing about 56lb will do, so long as its got a hole in it and a good enough bit of chain and rope.

[/quot

you can use a tyre on a shortish rope as a towing anchor ( that's my name for it )to keep the bow in line, a mud weight will be asking to get caught up on a trolley or old stump you'll end up dredging the cut.

Yeh.................

Like that always works ;)

:cheers:

[hangs head in shame] we had great fun though! :cheers: just make sure your favourite mug is safely indoors!

If you have a stout long boat pole then crew in the bow steer with the pole.

or do what the single handers around us do which is tie the tiller straight (well, they say they do but I don't know that they do) and then put it in just tick over in reverse and stand on the bow and steer with the pole... PJs stories are great!

Effective, but not as good a video as the trying to steer backwards for a mile using the rudder, in a howling gales with abuse verbal assistance being offered from all parties around.

Edited by Bob18