Choosing a new generator

Featured Posts

Hello

Does anyone have a Travel Power Generator - 230v - engine mounted - either 3.5 or 5 kva?

I'm wondering if this is essential for a liveaboard and if anyone already has one, is it reliable, efficient enough, noisy?

I will have a 3000w inverter installed amd although I will try my best to save on power I will have most of the standard household appliances minus tumble dryer, kettle, microwave and any other non essentials.

Will be CCing and not on hook up.

Any feedback would be really helpfull.

Hello

Does anyone have a Travel Power Generator - 230v - engine mounted - either 3.5 or 5 kva?

I'm wondering if this is essential for a liveaboard and if anyone already has one, is it reliable, efficient enough, noisy?

I will have a 3000w inverter installed amd although I will try my best to save on power I will have most of the standard household appliances minus tumble dryer, kettle, microwave and any other non essentials.

Well from seeing a second hand sale on Ebay ( It went for 48.00 + p&P) Trevel Power is Just a 24v alternator matched to a 24v inverter. So if you have a large capacity alternator and a matching inverter the travel power is superfluous.

Thanks. The alternator will be 175amp and the inverter 3000w - these generators are being fitted for £3250 (3.5) and £4000 (5kva).

So you don't think I will need one?

My opinion is "no" - we too have a 175 amp alternator and a Victron 3000 inverter - the battery bank is a set of 4, 6V 240Ah batteries configured as 12V, 480Ah, and whilst I don't think we are "heavy users", we do have a washer-dryer, Induction hob, ( prefer to not make steam/moisture using a gas hob at night) microwave, fridge and beer cooler, as well as the usual. I am careful to only use the highest power users when on the move, and so far I don't think have ever pulled the battery bank down below 65%.

Nick

They are very useful for the larger consumers like the normal household washing machines that some boats have.

They are not noisy but the engine is - you usually have to run the engine at a decent speed to get the required power from the TP.

Personally, I think they are more trouble than they are worth, so would have a smaller washer and run from the inverter with your engine running on wash cycles.

You talk in future tense, but don't say whether this is a boat you are buying or a new build ??

Make sure you have a decent size bank of batteries, depending on what you are planning to run from the inverter.

If you are paying a professional to fit the inverter, why not ask him the question you have asked on the forum ?

ETA - I've just seen from another of your topics that it is a newbuild.

Hello

Edited by NB Willawaw

With all that alternator output and a good inverter why not consider a big bank of traction batteries like I did. Do a search on my blog for batteries. Remember to use the washer when on the move and you will probably be OK.

I only fitted the genny because I got it for free, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Hello

We have a 3.5 kva TravelPower and a 175a alternator with 2.5 kw inverter. The travel power is on a Beta 43 and it produces full power at about 1200 rpm, at idle about 2 kw. It cannot be heard above the engine noise unless the drive belt needs adjusting. They seem fairly reliable but eventually the brushes on the alternator bit need replacing, but ours is too new to know that, its just what I have read here.

You don't really NEED one but it does make for an alternative / backup source of mains power, something that I would have thought is important for a live-aboard. Also our Dyson doesn't start up well from the inverter (startup power too high) so we always run that from the TP.

Therefore I would describe it as a nice-to-have rather than a must-have, but if you have the money it's probably a good way to spend it.

Edited to mention that the Iskra 175a alternators on a beta 43 is well pullied up so tha it produces it's full output from only just above idle. However I have noticed that it gets very hot at full output (eg mounting frame too hot to touch), and I now think it is better/safer to run the engine faster than stricly necessary if possible (ie not passing moored boats!) so that there is less field current and more importantly, the cooling fan is turning faster.

Edited by nicknorman

Edited to mention that the Iskra 175a alternators on a beta 43 is well pullied up so tha it produces it's full output from only just above idle. However I have noticed that it gets very hot at full output (eg mounting frame too hot to touch), and I now think it is better/safer to run the engine faster than stricly necessary if possible (ie not passing moored boats!) so that there is less field current and more importantly, the cooling fan is turning faster.

I wonder if it would be worth mounting a pc fan either in front or behind the alt?

Tony

Hello

The thing to remember is that running high energy electric items via an engine generator uses lots of fuel. Wind generators and solar panels after the initial cost are free electricity. We used a gas powered 3.5 kva honda to run the automatic washing machine, and a little 650w quiet genny if the batteries where too low to run the computer etc.

Wow - what a fast response! Thank you so much everyone. I'm really grateful for all this advice and will ponder on it for a bit before responding. I do like the idea of solar and wind power (and spending the money on this rather than a generator!) so will do some more research.

It feels like a full time job getting this boat together, but i'm really enjoying it! Exchanged contracts on the house today too so (even though winter is approaching) its all becoming a reality.

Thanks again!

I do like the idea of solar and wind power (and spending the money on this rather than a generator!) so will do some more research.

Your research will probably lead you to the conclusion that you should forget the bit I highlighted and get more solar :)

Tony

Or a good MPPT controller.

We've been ccing 20yrs and haven't got and don't need a generator. We have a 1500 inverter which we use occasionaly. If you build your boat to suit the purpose you will be fine. I don't understand the induction hob to prevent steam. Some cooking creates steam and you open windows.

Sue

We've been ccing 20yrs and haven't got and don't need a generator. We have a 1500 inverter which we use occasionaly. If you build your boat to suit the purpose you will be fine. I don't understand the induction hob to prevent steam. Some cooking creates steam and you open windows.

Sue

I did not use to carry about a genny for holidaying or weekending until the gearbox and engine mounts went preventing being under way or, running the engine.

Having a genny for emergencies is perfectly reasonable.There are other occasions when running a genny makes more sense than running the main engine.

Only a few I have come across get long life out of batts relying upon their engines only and they tend to be frugal in their approach to boating and energy use.

Some who use gennies a lot also seem to get shorter battery lives as well. Somehow they can never get back in what they have used.

Out of interest how often have you had to replace your batts in 20 years?

We have a 3.5 kva TravelPower and a 175a alternator with 2.5 kw inverter. The travel power is on a Beta 43 and it produces full power at about 1200 rpm, at idle about 2 kw. It cannot be heard above the engine noise unless the drive belt needs adjusting. They seem fairly reliable but eventually the brushes on the alternator bit need replacing, but ours is too new to know that, its just what I have read here.

You don't really NEED one but it does make for an alternative / backup source of mains power, something that I would have thought is important for a live-aboard. Also our Dyson doesn't start up well from the inverter (startup power too high) so we always run that from the TP.

Interesting your comments on Dyson not starting up on inverter. I had a Victron Combi 12/50/1500 watt & its inverter ran my Dyson (staircase vacuum only model - can't remember power) without a hitch. It even ran (in error :blush:) a 2kW convection heater without tripping - admittedly not an inductive load. It was later replaced with Sterling 1800 watt quasi sine inverter which not surprisingly also ran the Dyson.

Maybe you have an upright model with bigger motor.

Butterfly

Have you looked into a stand alone on-board generator.

It has been mentioned before (by me) our boat 60 foot narrow-boat, continuously cruising, live aboard is all electric (wait for the comments again :lol:)

We have the tumble dryer yet to be used and we have the kettle (low wattage).

We have a 7kw Cummins Onan. (generator)

A Victron combi which is only 2000 va.

It is all wired to automatically to start the generator if the batteries are to low or the load too much for the inverter.

Edited by bottle

Interesting your comments on Dyson not starting up on inverter. I had a Victron Combi 12/50/1500 watt & its inverter ran my Dyson (staircase vacuum only model - can't remember power) without a hitch. It even ran (in error :blush:) a 2kW convection heater without tripping - admittedly not an inductive load. It was later replaced with Sterling 1800 watt quasi sine inverter which not surprisingly also ran the Dyson.

Maybe you have an upright model with bigger motor.

No it's a small cylinder one. I think it's rated at around 1200watts. The Mastervolt will start it, but it cuts in and out several times as the motor rpm is rising, something that makes me nervous for the longevity of the MV. Once its up to speed its fine but I prefer to power it from the TravelPower. So even though it's rated at more than double the running power, presumably with some overload capability, the startup current / power factor of the Dyson doesn't agree with the MV!

Edited by nicknorman

JMO of course, but if you're building a boat and have some spare money fit a stand alone built in generator, once the boat is fitted out it will almost always be much harder to build one in. But and its a big but, i don't think it is essential to have a generator, I did 10 years livaboard without one, not once did i 'need' a genny. At times when the engine was down I just adjusted my life to suit the power available.

Saying that, the boat i'm building at the moment has a 7kw Kholer built in, it was the first thing I did as I didn't fancy using the Gardner for daily battery charging duties, and the extra power available meant the fitout was not so much hard work (allowing plenty of power tool use) Good thing is that I can get my batteries charged to 'float' once every week. A state of charge that was quite difficult to achieve with just the engine on my old boat.

Good luck

Paul

Edited by GSer

I've got one and it's not noticeable over the engine noise at all.

I've used it for all sorts of things from running the washing machine and power tools to running a 2k soundsystem and lights, all with the engine in neutral. I also use it to charge my laptop, phone and tool batteries while the engine's on making hot water and charging the domestic batteries.

It's never caused me any hassle, yet and I'd definitely like one on the next boat I have. Much easier than a separate generator. :D

Well from seeing a second hand sale on Ebay ( It went for 48.00 + p&P) Trevel Power is Just a 24v alternator matched to a 24v inverter. So if you have a large capacity alternator and a matching inverter the travel power is superfluous.

O_o 48 quid is a bit of a bargain!

Never really considered what it was, but that makes a lot of sense.

It's the convenience that makes it great tbh. I can turn it on from the inside, no messing about with petrol, lugging it about, wires etc.

I suspect a separate built in diesel genny would be just as good.

I'd def miss having a genny, I use it all the time.

Well, not all the time, but when I'm charging batteries I'm also doing 240v stuff and visa versa.