changing a boats name

JerryP

Featured Posts

how do you change a boats name ?,is it as simple as painting over the old name and re-nameing it or is there other stuff that needs to be done ,I've seen some boats with no name at all ,does a boats name have to be registed with BW ? ,final question is it bad luck to change a boats name ?

how do you change a boats name ?,is it as simple as painting over the old name and re-nameing it or is there other stuff that needs to be done ,I've seen some boats with no name at all ,does a boats name have to be registed with BW ? ,final question is it bad luck to change a boats name ?

Yes - you can change it and you should let BW know. Boats do not have to display their name (only the reg. no) on BW waters.

On on some waterways they do.

Edited by MJG

boats and ships have changed their names throughout history, if it was bad luck (and luck existed!) then the Royal Navy would not have been the world power it once was.

Maybe it's because of the bad luck that they no longer are though.... :unsure:

Going :smiley_offtopic: for a sec. this raises an interesting question or 2.

I understand even a boat temporarily going onto the Thames is technically supposed to display it's name if it does not on BW waters.

Temporary made up name plates (paper in the window!!) I understand suffices but -

a - why doe they have to do this? the name is on the BW licence

b - what happens if your name registered with BW clashes with another already registered to a boat based on the Thames. They don't allow two boats to have the same name when registering on the Thames - do they waive that requirement for a visiting boat?

When you go on the Thames the visitor license card has a "V" number on it, you display one of those in windows each side. That number I believe is the boats name as far as the EA is concerned for the visit. The do record the boats real name on the visitor licence application form, but interestingly not the BW number.

When you go on the Thames the visitor license card has a "V" number on it, you display one of those in windows each side. That number I believe is the boats name as far as the EA is concerned for the visit. The do record the boats real name on the visitor licence application form, but interestingly not the BW number.

Cheers.

I heard that it's bad luck to change a boat's name unless you keep the original name on the boat somewhere. We re-named our first boat from Mischief to Jethro. I'm a bit superstitious (much to Boilermans chagrin) and I made a little plaque that we put on the engine room wall that just said 'Jethro formerly known as Mischief'.

I heard that it's bad luck to change a boat's name unless you keep the original name on the boat somewhere. We re-named our first boat from Mischief to Jethro. I'm a bit superstitious (much to Boilermans chagrin) and I made a little plaque that we put on the engine room wall that just said 'Jethro formerly known as Mischief'.

I thought the superstition was exactly the opposite, in that you should not have the old name anywhere on the boat.

Perhaps it does not really matter which way as it's all superstition rolleyes.gif

Edited by john6767

You will also get people tell you that in order to avoid bad luck you must remove all traces of the old name and having nothing on board that refers to it before you put the new name on.

So take yer choice!

It is clear from historical records that changing a ships name on change of ownership both see going and inland vessels was commonplace. Some of these will have sunk or had whatever disaster happen to them but some won't. Indeed some ships that were not renamed over there lifespan also sank and had nasty things happen to them. It is just coincidence.

Now where's my Rabbit's foot!!