WHEEZE of the week

bizzard

Featured Posts

Last week we discussed keeping a boats stance in the oggin level,''trim'',so that it looks nice and is easier to move about in and do things inside without having too many things rollin about willy nilly,like drinks glasses and pencils rolling off tables ect,and climbing and descending steep inclines when walking about.

So here's a way of improving this situation. I described to you how paranoid i am about this nuisance and the absurd lengths i go to to try and get it perfect and keep it that way.

Well here's a way. Depending on what kind of vessel you've got, slightly different adaptions of the idea have to be employed.

Right,go to a model railway shop. Depending on the size and weight of your boat buy say enough railway track to reach to either end. 3.5''gauge would do for light GRP cruisers and anything up to 7.5''gauge for heavy N/B type boats.''Very expensive''

It will be an electric 12v system so buy a nice engine of your choice.Steam ,diesel or electric outline.And about six coal trucks, 12v controller unit,relay switches and other electrical bits.

Now this bit is for for Phylis's benifit whom i know has a most worrying boat trim problem. GRP cruiser's tend to have uneven superstructures,bumps and flying bridges on top so,no good,trains don't like steep hills so,either in the bilge or the cabin floors have to be used, N/B's have 3 options,roof,swipe all the junk,flower pots and stuff off and lay your railway track up there or through on the cabins floor,any obstructions in the way like bulkheads just bust a hole through,paint a nice tunnel portal around it,and use odd bits of curved track to go around immoveable things.You can use the bilge but you will want to watch all the action. Right place train on laid track,fill trucks with Lead,connect track via controller up to your boats battery, wire up incline sensitive switches to track contacts and relays ect ect ect,to controller reverser.

Turn on the juice,walk up and down to alter the trim and be fascinated by the train chugging off in the opposite direction to counteract your weight,stop turn and go back and train will respond and go tother way.All tremendous fun.

All this carry on is so delightful and fascinating that you probably won't bother cruising your boat anymore.Yo can landscape it all,make little stations,.The train can deliver your tea and meals from the galley ect ,the possibilities are endless,and at at all times your boat will be kept in perfect trim. bizzard :closedeyes:

I would go more deeply into the ins and outs of wiring up all the electrics of this system but as it would only bore most folk, and would most certainly attract all the electrical exspurts to home in and snipe away at me.So, sorry to disappoint anyone who might be interested in all that.For those reasons i've refrained from doing so. :closedeyes:

Edited by bizzard

I *&$£ing love this idea!!!! (probably due to never having a train set earlier in life :) )

The train would need to be able to pull 75kgs, or more, about to make any difference to my boat, can they manage that?

:D

Easily.You might have to sprinkle a little sand on the track to help the engines wheel adhesion when going uphill though, usually when its on its way to the front,when weight moves aft. bizzard :closedeyes:

Bizzard, you are a genius. Now I know what to do with all that 00 gauge track and rolling stock that I never got around to setting up for the kids.

Thank you. All that 00g stuff is probably quite valuable,especially if its Hornby-Dublo. Regs Bizzard.

Easily.You might have to sprinkle a little sand on the track to help the engines wheel adhesion when going uphill though, usually when its on its way to the front,when weight moves aft. bizzard :closedeyes:

:clapping: :clapping:

Ahhh...But...(been lookin' for a way to spoil one of bizzard's schemes, since the gimballed chair set me farmers off :unsure: still not right) The flaw in the thinkin' is not taking the weight of the electricity into account. Current <_< calculations show that if the train was going uphill, on the same side as the run of cable, the sudden increase in demand could have unpredictable results, leading to dangerous instability...

Ahhh...But...(been lookin' for a way to spoil one of bizzard's schemes, since the gimballed chair set me farmers off :unsure: still not right) The flaw in the thinkin' is not taking the weight of the electricity into account. Current <_< calculations show that if the train was going uphill, on the same side as the run of cable, the sudden increase in demand could have unpredictable results, leading to dangerous instability...

Yes but i think electrons rush about a bit quicker than the trains do, so should take the train by surprise and a happy equalibrium should quickly be restored.However if this problem that you have predicted, indeed cleverly spotted proves to cause a hi-cup and disrupts all the action and tries to rob us of its pleasure,i'll have to resort to plan ''B''again,and radio control it by micro-proscessors and chips and things,and tweek it all now and then plugged in to my George Foreman Sandwich toaster. But will avoid all that if pos,hate over complicating things. :cheers:

Your number Dave 69700 was a GER N7 0-6-2 tank engine,i expect you're aware of it though. :cheers:

Nope.

One of 134 eh? it might have been 69700 but not 'Dave' but don't forget 69700 is an area of France .....and..and ..it's also a narrowboat registration number. Funny that!

bizzard,i do applaud your ingenuity and industrial enterprise!

may i suggest to your good self a more eco-friendly and holistic solution?

i never saw it,but a few years ago they released a film called THE HORSE WHISPERER,so,could you not,gently,train a flock of (possibly anorexic)HUMMING BIRDS to trim your vesssel?

they would be more interesting than plant pots on your roof,and they may even endow you with a certain amount of KUDOS?

good idea?maybe,my only concern would be that they might just sound like DEAN S'S generator?

you could put them indoors after 8 pm,good man!

• 5 years later...
On 03/10/2011 at 20:08, cereal tiller said:

bizzard,i do applaud your ingenuity and industrial enterprise!

may i suggest to your good self a more eco-friendly and holistic solution?

i never saw it,but a few years ago they released a film called THE HORSE WHISPERER,so,could you not,gently,train a flock of (possibly anorexic)HUMMING BIRDS to trim your vesssel?

they would be more interesting than plant pots on your roof,and they may even endow you with a certain amount of KUDOS?

good idea?maybe,my only concern would be that they might just sound like DEAN S'S generator?

you could put them indoors after 8 pm,good man!

That's a good idea CT.

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Blimey thats quite a delay from Rangoon!

Well I suddenly remembered that I hadn't replied to CT's post in that topic and thought it would be rude not to do so. I have a long memory. In actual fact I'm checking old posts that I'd forgotten to reply to.

Edited by bizzard

• 2 months later...