ANNOUNCEMENT! I seem to have a boat!

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

I can't believe that less than two months ago I first posted here with a bit of money and the hope of maybe at some point being able to get a little boat... Knew I'd never afford a narrowboat so was going to end up with a GRP at some point in the future... (Nothing against GRP boats or owners, just after comparisons I decided I greatly favoured the 'sewer tubes!')

Less than two months on, I've actually GOT the boat, and it's a narrowboat which is just what I wanted, and having bought it for what I think is probably less than half of what it's worth...

It's been a hell of a journey, I must say.

Without wishing to make this sound like my Oscar acceptance speech, I use the 'net a lot and use various different types of net forums and have done for many years, but I have never known a response like that which I got from you guys here on the CW forum, total strangers cheerfully willing to go out of their way to help me, look out for me and advise me, and as I say, eight weeks ago none of you had ever heard of me...

Half of the joy of this for me has been the community that I have seen from posting here and know I am going to find out there in the real life boating world too.

Again, massive thanks to literally every person here who has been in on this epic adventure of mine and I am sure will still be around for my first dunk in the cut, my first secure mooring failure, my first... Whatever stupid thing I am going to do next...

I am moving onto the boat on Sunday and hopefully starting my trip up to Pillings on Wednesday, and as I learned today that I can barely steer in a suitable line for a few minutes at a time, I am going to make a post in a mo to ask for some victims volunteers to come out and help me...

Carl did rightfully complain today that I never made any tea, but in my defence I didn't know how to turn the gas on... I promise I will learn by next week! ;)

Wait! Panda I remember passing your boat! Blue with (oddly enough!) a panda on the front!

Edited by Starcoaster

well done star!! nice one hun...you'll soon get the hang of it, it'll suddenly 'click'...somewhere between there and foxton!! Now get yourself some lock crew!!

Congrats! x

She wasn't nearly as bad as she makes out.

It's just a question of realising that she can correct her own mistakes and overcome the "Oh my god, we're all going to die." response.

I'm taking a swear box, next time, too...Should make a few bob, I think.

I can't believe that less than two months ago I first posted here with a bit of money and the hope of maybe at some point being able to get a little boat... Knew I'd never afford a narrowboat so was going to end up with a GRP at some point in the future... (Nothing against GRP boats or owners, just after comparisons I decided I greatly favoured the 'sewer tubes!')

Less than two months on, I've actually GOT the boat, and it's a narrowboat which is just what I wanted, and having bought it for what I think is probably less than half of what it's worth...

It's been a hell of a journey, I must say.

Without wishing to make this sound like my Oscar acceptance speech, I use the 'net a lot and use various different types of net forums and have done for many years, but I have never known a response like that which I got from you guys here on the CW forum, total strangers cheerfully willing to go out of their way to help me, look out for me and advise me, and as I say, eight weeks ago none of you had ever heard of me...

Half of the joy of this for me has been the community that I have seen from posting here and know I am going to find out there in the real life boating world too.

Again, massive thanks to literally every person here who has been in on this epic adventure of mine and I am sure will still be around for my first dunk in the cut, my first secure mooring failure, my first... Whatever stupid thing I am going to do next...

I am moving onto the boat on Sunday and hopefully starting my trip up to Pillings on Wednesday, and as I learned today that I can barely steer in a suitable line for a few minutes at a time, I am going to make a post in a mo to ask for some victims volunteers to come out and help me...

Carl did rightfully complain today that I never made any tea, but in my defence I didn't know how to turn the gas on... I promise I will learn by next week! ;)

Wait! Panda I remember passing your boat! Blue with (oddly enough!) a panda on the front!

A good day then, to round off a roller-coaster couple of months!!

Looking at today's photos you really have done well with that boat.

You will get the hang of steering it soon - its just an acquired knack, and once it's 'clicked', you'll wonder why you ever thought it was difficult.

You are a welcome addition to the forum too. Your enthusiasm just shines through, and you have a way of asking questions, from the most basic points through to the sorts of things old hands can't agree on, in a way which encourages a very positive response. And we are all a little bit wiser as a result!

Congratulations on a successful day, and may you keep on enjoying it.

David

• Greenie 1

A massive well done for Carlt as well. It is people like him that days like this exist. So nice to hear of someone doing something and not looking at a profit. When I make it onto the cut I hope I meet up with Carl and I will get the beers in.

Oh well on ya star, learn how to get the gas on. brew kit is the life blood of the boat.

cheers ~Smudge

This has been really heart-warming stuff! The ideal way a forum like this can work. Well done all those who actually assisted physically or with words (or with thoughts).

Hope that there will be others that can be assisted in the future, this thread should really be kept for their assistance don't you think?

Some of you say that there is not a community on the canals but this has really been community spirit at it's best don't you think? Perhaps it is just good human spirit, but excellent anyway!

All the best, you are all stars.

John

Congrats on getting the boat. Don't worry about not been able to steer in a straight line, you'll get the hang of it. One tip I'll give is as boats tend to react eventually to steering, so the tip is not to over steer, as you'll be zig zagging alot!

Thanks everyone for the lovely posts, I have honestly had such a good experience here.

Back in the flat now for my penultimate night... It seems kind of ... Big. And still. And cold!

I swear when I went to bed last night I felt like I was rocking a bit...

Lol I am definitely guilty of overcorrecting and moving about with it too much...

Bizarrely it reminds me of when I started playing world of warcraft type games on the pc and had to get used to how to move the character without making it fly off at a tangent...

Carl is right, I did cuss like a lifelong sailor, but when the boat scraped over rocky things I couldn't help but see imminent death and sinking in my very near future... I am a bit crap for freezing up rather than working through it when something goes wrong, I am trying to train myself out of that!

Edited by Starcoaster

Thanks everyone for the lovely posts, I have honestly had such a good experience here.

Back in the flat now for my penultimate night... It seems kind of ... Big. And still. And cold!

Lol I am definitely guilty of overcorrecting and moving about with it too much...

Bizarrely it reminds me of when I started playing world of warcraft type games on the pc and had to get used to how to move the character without making it fly off at a tangent...

Carl is right, I did cuss like a lifelong sailor, but when the boat scraped over rocky things I couldn't help but see imminent death and sinking in my very near future... I am a bit crap for freezing up rather than working through it when something goes wrong, I am trying to train myself out of that!

The shorter the boat the more sensitive to tiller movements they are.But more than made up for by their quick turning ability,

dodging nippily round obstacles or out of danger.And of course you'll be able to turn around in smaller spaces than longer boats which sometimes have to travel miles to do so.bizzard.

And of course you'll be able to turn around in smaller spaces than longer boats which sometimes have to travel miles to do so.bizzard.

........ And moor in those gaps that people with big swanky boats have inconsiderately left between each other, where they felt fairly confident at the time that nobody else could fit in! :lol:

........ And moor in those gaps that people with big swanky boats have inconsiderately left between each other, where they felt fairly confident at the time that nobody else could fit in! :lol:

..........and moor in those gaps that another boat your boats size left that morning............. ;):angry:

:lol:

I bet you felt the same, first time you rode a bike, drove a car and many more experiences.

This is the same, deep breath and I bet in couple of days you will be an old hand

Just enjoy it , well done now have fun.

Glad everything is working out for you Starcoaster.Your progress has been a great read and I realy admire your tenacity.Looks like you've had some real good luck with your boat,so someone up or down there is smiling on you.Hope the cats settle down o.k. and you have a smooth transition from bricks to water.Keep up the great posts,your posts and subsequent replies from the old hands are invaluable to us future waterways dwellers.

have you never heard of recycling, plug the &ugger in......

nice to have met you maffi(even though you thought I was BW mafia.......)

Its that new jumper I have. Dont know what I was thinking buying it.

Wow, this thread makes fantastic and useful reading. I've followed your story right from the start, and think it should all go in a book! Helpful and heartwarming - I've been astonished at all the assistance that's been offered, and the genuine community of boaters here. Even the grumpy ones. No, especially the grumpy ones. :lol:

I think you might have become a Cut Character, Star! Hope to see you out there soon, cussing as you chase cats.

Well done!

Matty I must admit you were wearing a very smart coat and did look very official!

Well nothing ever being simple, it looks like I may now stay in Braunston for a couple of months as I've been offered eight weeks freelancing work which is handy to start getting some money back in rather than all going out...

So I am probably going to stay on Braunston in the short term and bimble out on some shorter trips...

Edited by Starcoaster