Economic Problems Afloat

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

Anyone have any ideas? I've managed to work a little lately (boat related)but now in the off season this has dried up. I actually have a dread of going back to the Jobcentre to sign on. In fact, last time I had experiences with JSA I found it a bit of a nightmare. Some of the staff were polite and quite normal but there were others who were rude, sarcastic and judgemental (for want of a better word). In fact after applying for dozens of jobs each week I got nowhere at all. I soon figured out just too many people were applying and I also think these days most jobs come your way via personal recommendation (knowing someone).

Maybe with the run up to Christmas I may get lucky and find work somewhere but for now money issues are very tight. I did try self employment as a dog walker but got no feedback at all. So, I'm wondering if someone has an idea to get around going back to the JSA? I did think of just buying and selling stuff or even a boat washing service.

I don't CC as I take care of a dog locally. That may sound a bit odd but I'd not take off and leave him. So the immediate area is pretty run down. I'm late forties and have a few basic skills, a bit of mechanical included. Not a tradesman, though. Have wroked in health education, security, teaching abroad, mowing and so on. However, no response to jobs I apply for.

I only need to make about 80 quid a week and I can get by as I live self sufficient on the boat. Even tried delivering leaflets for a time.

What skills or experience do you have? are you male or female? approximate age? Im hoping to get afloat in the next 18 months and cc, iv worked in construction most of my life and intend to do temp short term agency work, theres loads of that type of work out there.

Loads of thing you can do to earn a bob or two,even just boat related. Spread yourself around a bit.

Window cleaning of boats, Emptying Portta Potties £2 a go,which i once did, collecting old batteries,they're fetching good money at scrap yards at the mo.ect ect.

Edited by bizzard

Basically I'm always working my ass off but I don't usually get paid for it. I get filthy too. Degreasing engines, blacking, fibreglassing, painting you name it. I used to have a lot of academic skills but one day decided I needed to learn more hands-on skills. So, I studied electrics, some mechanics, fibreglassing. I also began to slowly learn a lot more about boats and can drive bigger boats quite well.

I was doing a bit of driving for someone so it was a start. Just need to get more alternatives going.

I hated being on the dole. Just got me down and in a rut so to speak.

Loads of thing you can do to earn a bob or two,even just boat related. Spread yourself around a bit.

Window cleaning of boats, Emptying Portta Potties £2 a go,which i once did, collecting old batteries,they're fetching good money at scrap yards at the mo.ect ect.

Basically I'm always working my ass off but I don't usually get paid for it. I get filthy too. Degreasing engines, blacking, fibreglassing, painting you name it. I used to have a lot of academic skills but one day decided I needed to learn more hands-on skills. So, I studied electrics, some mechanics, fibreglassing. I also began to slowly learn a lot more about boats and can drive bigger boats quite well.

I was doing a bit of driving for someone so it was a start. Just need to get more alternatives going.

I hated being on the dole. Just got me down and in a rut so to speak.

To be self employed you need to be firm but reasonable with your pricing. Draw up a price list for the services you offer.

Keep to quick more menial things unless confident of your other skills. There are lots of elderly folk on boats out there that perhaps would jump at the chance of having their windows cleaned,chimney's swept,and many many other quite simple jobs done.

If you are near a marina or largish gathering of boats then i might suggest a brass cleaning service.

I only get too visit my boat every other week and the brass always needs doing.

I have 6 mushrooms and 8 portholes, and it is about an hours work. and i guess there are plenty of other owners who would happily pay a small fee to keep their brass shining bright.

Limited initial outlay, some old rag and a tin of brasso.

duztee

Should the worst come to the worst, those folk for whom; while I've had a salary, have enjoyed my services for beer and smiles will need to know the cash value of my trade...

Maybe time to start charging, even mates rates is better than a giro!

I wonder if it might be worth your while approaching your local post Royal Mail Sorting office. I think they will be recruiting soon for extra staff for christmas

.....and in the spring, the hire boatyards will be looking for staff at 'turnaround' time. Fridays/Saturdays and doing that gets you a 'foot in the door' so to speak.

I know a guy who's into p/t routine NB engine servicing/oil changes/new battery supply/fit etc. also renovating/replacing windows/window seals (think of all those Dawncrafts where the sliding windows have the bottom runner all clogged up/rotten etc) - If your prices are right, word of mouth/towpath telegraph will keep you as busy as you want to be!

Have you any wholesaler's in the area that will be looking for Christmas packing staff i.e wholesale fruit and vegetable merchants, whole foods (nuts/pulses) , frozen foods suppliers. Get the yellow pages and go and see them with your name and telephone number ( show s your keen if you turn up rather than telephone). We always had problems finding reliable,sober staff that would work odd hours, even when we picked them up, paid above the 'going rate' and they could have a large 'veg box' each week, anyone any good we kept on ar Christmas. Also try (if in your area ) Pertemps, the temping agency , they have various jobs. Good luck. Bunny

I wonder if it might be worth your while approaching your local post office. I think they will be recruiting soon for extra staff for christmas

Was just checking a postcode and saw this and thought of this thread..

http://www2.royalmail.com/jobs-home-page/xmas?campaignid=RM_promo_personal1

Edited by Dekazer

I don't know what part of the world you are in, but here are some suggestions. I am presuming you have a current driving licence, and have 7.5 ton entitlement for some ideas.

1) Mengies (Menzies to us). distribute papers to shops and collect returns, night work though. Find their depot and apply in person. Ditto for Smiths in some areas (Not North East UK). They are usually hunting out drivers, and up here seem to import Polish drivers.

2) Sign on with driverHire/Drivertemps and other agencies and pester weekly. Mostly white van stuff.

3) Apply directly to DHL/Fedex/UPS/Parcellink etc.

4) Apply directly to local fruit/veg/frozen food wholesalers and distributers. Don't forget Bookers, Costco etc. Ditto local motor parts factors. (Up here that is Unipart, York Motor Factors, EBC etc).

Instead of 'dog walking' which isn't enough how about pet homecare?, ie looking after and feeding caged animals and cats in the owners own home?.

Any car valetting companies locally?

I have a friend who drives Hearses on an as needed basis, pays very well, because many drivers are squeamish, (He gets 120 plus for 2 funerals a day, and usually does 3 days a week. He gets offered more but it would ruin his lifestyle)

Its also the time of year where clearing gardens for winter is popular.

All of which means asking directly from the relevant boss, and that means studying you Yellow pages and finding out what they do, before knocking on their door !.

I'm in the minority of non vehicle drivers. Still the ideas are worth considering. I did try leafleting and actually enjoyed it but I think not being able to drive was a disadvantage and they stopped using me.

I don't tend to waste my time and always try to learn as much as I can rather than just doss around the streets. The problem is so far all the work I do isn't bringing in any actual money. I have seen self-employment advisors and so forth but most ideas so far didn't seem to take off.

I was at the time excited about starting a dog walking business but after posting hundreds of leaflets nothing happened. Not one phone call.

Any boat related business I have to be careful as I moor up at a boatyard and they'd not take kindly to a business being operated from there.

Still, I just hope my fortune changes.

I don't know what part of the world you are in, but here are some suggestions. I am presuming you have a current driving licence, and have 7.5 ton entitlement for some ideas.

1) Mengies (Menzies to us). distribute papers to shops and collect returns, night work though. Find their depot and apply in person. Ditto for Smiths in some areas (Not North East UK). They are usually hunting out drivers, and up here seem to import Polish drivers.

2) Sign on with driverHire/Drivertemps and other agencies and pester weekly. Mostly white van stuff.

3) Apply directly to DHL/Fedex/UPS/Parcellink etc.

4) Apply directly to local fruit/veg/frozen food wholesalers and distributers. Don't forget Bookers, Costco etc. Ditto local motor parts factors. (Up here that is Unipart, York Motor Factors, EBC etc).

Instead of 'dog walking' which isn't enough how about pet homecare?, ie looking after and feeding caged animals and cats in the owners own home?.

Any car valetting companies locally?

I have a friend who drives Hearses on an as needed basis, pays very well, because many drivers are squeamish, (He gets 120 plus for 2 funerals a day, and usually does 3 days a week. He gets offered more but it would ruin his lifestyle)

Its also the time of year where clearing gardens for winter is popular.

All of which means asking directly from the relevant boss, and that means studying you Yellow pages and finding out what they do, before knocking on their door !.

I think you may have gone about advertising your dog walking in the wrong way... I am both a part time veterinary nurse and a self employed web designer & marketing consultalnt, so I feel qualified to comment from both angles!

Get some business cards made up and drop them into the local vets, they will usually let you leave a pile on the counter. Plenty of dog owners will pick them up from the vets, and people call their vets asking for reccomendations of walkers and pet sitters... probably about 50% of all vet nurses, literally, will do holiday cat feeding and pet sitting (easy money... In London I used to charge £12.50 per visit, but that was London and also people would pay a premium for having a vet nurse do it too) but not many do dog walking as they do long physical hours in the day.

Also get cards up in newsagents etc.

Lots of work, if not most of it, comes from the internet these days- A website would be invaluable, as not only can you get work from your SEO terms and backlinks from online pet product retailers etc, but also list in online directories etc. as well as phone directories.

Even if you can't shell out for a web site at this point, you can advertise on places like Gumtree, and various pet services directories etc.

Consider making contacts with places like local breeders and kennels to see if you can establish a working relationship with them, in terms of reccomending and publicing each other's businesses.

There's plenty more you can do as well to publicise yourself in that kind of role, and a good amount of it can be done at no or minimal financial outlay but simply commitment of your time.

Of course I don't know if you did any or all of these steps already, but if not, then bear in mind that blanket leafletting is one of the most inefficient ways to turn around clients, the takeup rate is much lower in terms of cost and manpower hours to generate a client than for more or less any other method of advertising.

And don't forget that these days when we seem to get junk mail more or less on a daily basis, the majority of people don't even look at what has been deliverd if it is circular, and some folk find it so annoying that they would not use the services of someone who traded like that on principle!

One other thing, and please do take it seriously... Insurance. Dog walking may seem to be a very casual way of generating a few extra quid under the counter, and thats cool. But you are totally responsible for someone's animal while you do it- both if that animal attacks another person or dog or damages property, and also, as with a case I saw in the practice where I work, where a dog walker had a dog slip the lead and run onto the road and get hit by a car, generating vets bills running to thousands of pounds, which she totally liable for, and is causing her no end of problems as not only does she have to pay it but as she was not insured the owners are prosecuting her.

Cliverton does tailored insurance for dog walkers, it's not massively pricey, and without it you are really leaving yourself open to being in the shit. I paid about £100 per year for my pet sitting and that involved the kind of cover not only for being responsible for the animals, but also people's homes.

http://www.cliverton.co.uk/

Finally! How much do you charge to paint a boat! And if you might be interested in doing some kind of 'painting in exchange for a web site/ marketing for this or any other pursuit' please let me know!

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 1

I tried most of that. I posted lots of forms off to veterinary surgeons and kennels. I got some enterprise advice from a job centre department. It was a total washout. Somne friends of mine advetised a catering business and the phone line got jammed so I didn't know what was going on. However, after thousands of adds not a single call.

After that I switched to personal training. I think with that I got maybe one phone call.

The only thing I did learn was the best way to get any clients is by personal contact and not just advertising. That's mainly where I went wrong, I think.

You're right about web sites and I can make sites on Word O.K. but didn't get round to loading one up.

Guess I'll just have to keep trying.

I think you may have gone about advertising your dog walking in the wrong way... I am both a part time veterinary nurse and a self employed web designer & marketing consultalnt, so I feel qualified to comment from both angles!

Get some business cards made up and drop them into the local vets, they will usually let you leave a pile on the counter. Plenty of dog owners will pick them up from the vets, and people call their vets asking for reccomendations of walkers and pet sitters... probably about 50% of all vet nurses, literally, will do holiday cat feeding and pet sitting (easy money... In London I used to charge £12.50 per visit, but that was London and also people would pay a premium for having a vet nurse do it too) but not many do dog walking as they do long physical hours in the day.

Also get cards up in newsagents etc.

Lots of work, if not most of it, comes from the internet these days- A website would be invaluable, as not only can you get work from your SEO terms and backlinks from online pet product retailers etc, but also list in online directories etc. as well as phone directories.

Even if you can't shell out for a web site at this point, you can advertise on places like Gumtree, and various pet services directories etc.

Consider making contacts with places like local breeders and kennels to see if you can establish a working relationship with them, in terms of reccomending and publicing each other's businesses.

There's plenty more you can do as well to publicise yourself in that kind of role, and a good amount of it can be done at no or minimal financial outlay but simply commitment of your time.

Of course I don't know if you did any or all of these steps already, but if not, then bear in mind that blanket leafletting is one of the most inefficient ways to turn around clients, the takeup rate is much lower in terms of cost and manpower hours to generate a client than for more or less any other method of advertising.

And don't forget that these days when we seem to get junk mail more or less on a daily basis, the majority of people don't even look at what has been deliverd if it is circular, and some folk find it so annoying that they would not use the services of someone who traded like that on principle!

One other thing, and please do take it seriously... Insurance. Dog walking may seem to be a very casual way of generating a few extra quid under the counter, and thats cool. But you are totally responsible for someone's animal while you do it- both if that animal attacks another person or dog or damages property, and also, as with a case I saw in the practice where I work, where a dog walker had a dog slip the lead and run onto the road and get hit by a car, generating vets bills running to thousands of pounds, which she totally liable for, and is causing her no end of problems as not only does she have to pay it but as she was not insured the owners are prosecuting her.

Cliverton does tailored insurance for dog walkers, it's not massively pricey, and without it you are really leaving yourself open to being in the shit. I paid about £100 per year for my pet sitting and that involved the kind of cover not only for being responsible for the animals, but also people's homes.

http://www.cliverton.co.uk/

Finally! How much do you charge to paint a boat! And if you might be interested in doing some kind of 'painting in exchange for a web site/ marketing for this or any other pursuit' please let me know!

I've been thinking of abandoning my boatyard mooring. At the moment I'm paying rent and get certain perks such as security, access to electric hook-up and water and often discarded materials that are of use (such as used paint). However, beggars can't be choosers and I realise that as a C.C. I'm not going to be paying large amounts in rent.

The downside is security fears being close to the towpath. Crime is on the up so that would worry me a bit. I'd also need a generator.

I'd prefer to keep my mooring but may have no choice but to cut corners.

see if you can get hold of some old pallets ,cut them up for kindling and sell it to passing boaters

Called in somewhere today and also phoned another location. I'm giving it another go. I have worked a bit since being made redundant but only in drips and drabs. I've even done some towpath/boat work.

The plan is to keep trying and hope something comes by.

Have you any wholesaler's in the area that will be looking for Christmas packing staff i.e wholesale fruit and vegetable merchants, whole foods (nuts/pulses) , frozen foods suppliers. Get the yellow pages and go and see them with your name and telephone number ( show s your keen if you turn up rather than telephone). We always had problems finding reliable,sober staff that would work odd hours, even when we picked them up, paid above the 'going rate' and they could have a large 'veg box' each week, anyone any good we kept on ar Christmas. Also try (if in your area ) Pertemps, the temping agency , they have various jobs. Good luck. Bunny

Hello Fortunata,.

I am Looking into buying a boat/Barge as a Perm live on Home for myself.... One question I would like ask you is - I noticed you say you live self-sufficent on your boat..

Can I ask how much this Cost you to make your boat Self-sufficent!!? What things have u done??

I would love hear how & see Pics if poss..

Cheers

A Newbieee

I don't CC as I take care of a dog locally. That may sound a bit odd but I'd not take off and leave him. So the immediate area is pretty run down. I'm late forties and have a few basic skills, a bit of mechanical included. Not a tradesman, though. Have wroked in health education, security, teaching abroad, mowing and so on. However, no response to jobs I apply for.

I only need to make about 80 quid a week and I can get by as I live self sufficient on the boat. Even tried delivering leaflets for a time.

I've been thinking of abandoning my boatyard mooring. At the moment I'm paying rent and get certain perks such as security, access to electric hook-up and water and often discarded materials that are of use (such as used paint). However, beggars can't be choosers and I realise that as a C.C. I'm not going to be paying large amounts in rent.

The downside is security fears being close to the towpath. Crime is on the up so that would worry me a bit. I'd also need a generator.

I'd prefer to keep my mooring but may have no choice but to cut corners.

I've considered leaving my mooring too as it takes about a third of my meagre wage. Although CCing may be cheaper, the trouble with making onself baseless is that it's bound to make it even harder to find regular work. Conversely, the mooring can be a bit of a Catch 22 - it makes it easier to work, but you end up working to pay for the mooring.

That's life I guess...

Edited by blackrose

I survived last Winter quite easily with no central heating. What I did learn to do was use a very basic pot-bellied stove to good effect. I'd arrive on my boat, check the thermometer and note it was bordering minus degrees. I had 2 girls come at Christmas and they sat there shivering while I lit the fire. Eventually room temp went up to almost 100 degrees farenheight. Sure, I do have electric to run electric fires but last year I survived simply burning wood and coal.

Thus, no bills. Everybody else did have very large bills but not me.

Now the mooring this is definitely a problem. Mooring for me has always been a luxury. I'm in an enclosed yard with electric hookup, access to a proper toilet and water for filling the tank. The problem is this is where it gets costly. Add mooring to insurance, licence and maintenance then it gets way way too expensive (almost as bad as a flat). With a job it's not a problem but if out of work marina moorings are a financial drain.

The issue of becoming a dodgy C.C. (i.e. not really cruising the entire waterways) has probably been done to death already. The whole issue upsets some folks as well. I do know some 100 per cent bona fide C.C.ers and they're all over the country cruising and moving on. I also met one or two people who used the system to avoid mooring and marina fees. In those cases money was so tight they just abandoned a mooring and left boats parked on the towpath for some time (in most cases getting tickets in the process).

At any rate if I do ditch my mooring it will mean I'll need a generator to replace the electric hook-up. I won't have access to a flushed toilet as often. Security could be a concern so I'd probably really work on that issue.

On the upside, life would be far far less expensive. No rent at all. Just licence and insurance.

However, I really hope I can keep the mooring. I was also actually working on the waterways driving other boats but the snag is now the Winter is closing in.

Hello Fortunata,.

I am Looking into buying a boat/Barge as a Perm live on Home for myself.... One question I would like ask you is - I noticed you say you live self-sufficent on your boat..

Can I ask how much this Cost you to make your boat Self-sufficent!!? What things have u done??

I would love hear how & see Pics if poss..

Cheers

A Newbieee

I did think about that. I also thought about washing down boats. Also for some times I've been messing with diesel engines and so ultimately I'd like to do mechanical work combined with electrics. I spend a lot of time swatting up on gearboxes, basic electrical theory and even fibreglass technology.

My last job brought in a lot of money but most of those firms are now dead and buried. Have worked since redundancy in drips and drabs.

Last point: I assume we all know that if you do become a C.C. you're not allowed access to bank accounts. This is serious and true. Banks won't allow access without photographic I.D. linked to an actual address. I was really angry about that and had quite an argument in my bank although, at the time, I did have a driving licence linked to my actual mooring address.

Just out of principle I may well cancel all my accounts even though I know most C.C.ers use family care of addresses.

how about chimney sweeping ? ,the brush's aren't that expensive ,apparently the job only takes around 5-10 minutes ,it could be a nic little earner for you ,especially this of the year ,