Economic Problems Afloat

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

I don't CC as I take care of a dog locally. That may sound a bit odd but I'd not take off and leave him. So the immediate area is pretty run down. I'm late forties and have a few basic skills, a bit of mechanical included. Not a tradesman, though. Have wroked in health education, security, teaching abroad, mowing and so on. However, no response to jobs I apply for.

I only need to make about 80 quid a week and I can get by as I live self sufficient on the boat. Even tried delivering leaflets for a time.

Have you thought of doing betterware catalogues.

Don't need to pay anything out to join like some of these companys make you do.

Work your own hours and make as much or as little as you like.

SWMBO does them and makes a decent amount

I survived last Winter quite easily with no central heating. What I did learn to do was use a very basic pot-bellied stove to good effect. I'd arrive on my boat, check the thermometer and note it was bordering minus degrees. I had 2 girls come at Christmas and they sat there shivering while I lit the fire. Eventually room temp went up to almost 100 degrees farenheight. Sure, I do have electric to run electric fires but last year I survived simply burning wood and coal.

Thus, no bills. Everybody else did have very large bills but not me.

Where do you get free coal? :unsure:

I survive every winter burning wood and coal - but the coal costs a lot of money.

Edited by blackrose

how about chimney sweeping ? ,the brush's aren't that expensive ,apparently the job only takes around 5-10 minutes ,it could be a nic little earner for you ,especially this of the year ,

Sorry Jerry - I know you're only trying to help - but I couldn't let this one pass.

People who go and get a B&Q "My first chimney sweep set" and then call themselves a chimney sweep are putting people at risk, as well as giving the rest of us a bad name to be honest. There's a hell of a lot more to being a sweep than sticking a brush up a chimney believe me, and most of us will have several thousand pounds worth of gear in our vans - my vacuum alone was over £700. The "have a go" guys fall into the same category as the weekend warrior "tree surgeons" - youtube is full of videos of these clowns and the damage they do. If your tree surgeon gets it wrong you could end up with a tree through your greenhouse - if the sweep gets it wrong you could die in your sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Please - leave it to the guys who know what they're doing!

Andy

Sorry Jerry - I know you're only trying to help - but I couldn't let this one pass.

People who go and get a B&Q "My first chimney sweep set" and then call themselves a chimney sweep are putting people at risk, as well as giving the rest of us a bad name to be honest. There's a hell of a lot more to being a sweep than sticking a brush up a chimney believe me, and most of us will have several thousand pounds worth of gear in our vans - my vacuum alone was over £700. The "have a go" guys fall into the same category as the weekend warrior "tree surgeons" - youtube is full of videos of these clowns and the damage they do. If your tree surgeon gets it wrong you could end up with a tree through your greenhouse - if the sweep gets it wrong you could die in your sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Please - leave it to the guys who know what they're doing!

Andy

Think Jerry was talking about boat chimneys

I suppose I could go overseas back to Russia again and possibly make quite a lot of money. However, my German Shepherd dog has been my best friend for over 3 years and I know he'd fret badly if I ever left. I'd be too miserable as well missing him. I think at this point in time I'm very good with dogs, even the larger ones. So, I did make a go of doing dog walking for money but advertising brought very poor results. Even going to vets and kennels. It may be the market locally is already covered as there is a van that goes around.

The catalogue idea I'm not so sure. I've been told most of it is a total con. In most cases you drop catalogues off at homes but I suspect you only get paid if orders are made. Cleanex often advertises but I heard very few people make money out of it.

Trading at the moment seems the best option. E-bay and stuff like that.

Chimney sweeping I'm sure I can do as I do my own. Actually I had a horror experience last night. A gust of wind blew down the chimney and kicked a mass of fire out from the vent slots below. Flames shot across the boat like a flame thrower and the alarm went off. I then closed the vents.

Ive only flicked thru quickly but you mention walking a dog for someone or looking after it. A friend of mine is a professional dog walker and makes a very good living.

The cheapest coal is often sold at Netto. However, wood works O.K. if you have time to keep chopping it up.

Where do you get free coal? :unsure:

I survive every winter burning wood and coal - but the coal costs a lot of money.

There's a hell of a lot more to being a sweep than sticking a brush up a chimney believe me.

I'll second that!

I thought all I had to do was have a couple of kids then set up business, once they were old enough to climb up...then social services got involved...

I get my mooring pole and some rag. I tie the rag very tightly onto the end of the mooring pole, being careful to note how many rags there are (in case one comes off in the chimney). I then stick the whole thing down the chimney. After a while you get onto the boat and behold! There is a huge pile of soot. Scary to think how much may get into our lungs.

I'll second that!

I thought all I had to do was have a couple of kids then set up business, once they were old enough to climb up...then social services got involved...

Anyone have any ideas? I've managed to work a little lately (boat related)but now in the off season this has dried up. I actually have a dread of going back to the Jobcentre to sign on. In fact, last time I had experiences with JSA I found it a bit of a nightmare. Some of the staff were polite and quite normal but there were others who were rude, sarcastic and judgemental (for want of a better word). In fact after applying for dozens of jobs each week I got nowhere at all. I soon figured out just too many people were applying and I also think these days most jobs come your way via personal recommendation (knowing someone).

Maybe with the run up to Christmas I may get lucky and find work somewhere but for now money issues are very tight. I did try self employment as a dog walker but got no feedback at all. So, I'm wondering if someone has an idea to get around going back to the JSA? I did think of just buying and selling stuff or even a boat washing service.

I know you're not keen on going down the claiming route but you might be entitled to housing benefit which would help with your mooring costs, someone on here, Smelly ?? may have some advice in that area.

I did look into it, especially in the boat-live-a-board context. I won't go into detail as to why but concluded it's definitely not a good idea. If you really want to eliminate rent, it's far better to continuous cruise. Except if you do become a C.C. then banks will cause no ends of problems demanding I.D. with a fixed address. I found that out once when my bank book went missing, I canceled my former account for security purposes and then found the bank refused to create a new account.

I'll let you all know how things develop. Chimney sweeping is the best idea so far (as a bit of extra cash). Really so long as you're safey conscious and don't leave anything stuck up the chimney, it's a piece of cake. I do my own all the time as well as fire cementing.

I know you're not keen on going down the claiming route but you might be entitled to housing benefit which would help with your mooring costs, someone on here, Smelly ?? may have some advice in that area.

Bloody hell, this sounds like something from a deeply disturbed individual. My intension is to put up a notice board on the side of my nb saying something like "grass cutting, weeding, general gardening, nb cleaning, vacuum cleaning, ironing" and anything else I can think of that a cc or anyone walking the towpaths would like to have done.

I'll charge £12.00 per hour

I am sure that you could get your dog back to Russia if you tried hard enough, although I don't know how much that would cost.

Wishing you all the best in your tribulations.

Daiboy

Hi, i am a professional dog walker, but i also offer pet sitting, small animal feeding and dog boarding.

i have been doing this now for a year and found that when starting out i did a leaflet drop of around two thousand

leaflets and didnt get any phone calls from this.

i also advertised in a local handbook (monthly mag) at a cost of about £20.00 per month.

i also put the leaflets in the local vets and pet shops.

I dont earn what i would call a full time wage from this at the moment but some weeks are better than others, but then again i dont work full time either, so i am happy with what i get.

most of my business has come through the local handbook, and also reconmendations. with a few from the vets and pet shops.

the problem with a leaflet drop i think is that you are an unkown, which when you are talking about peoples pets which are part of there family. so putting a leaflet through a door is not enough.

thats why i think the monthly local handbook works because people see you advertising every month so they get to know who you are and then they think that they can trust you.

on my advertising and my choice of company name (fiona the dog walker) its personal and they feel like they know you.

i also have a picture of me in my advert. so they know who i am.

i have also found that i am looking after a few chickens.

hope this helps

fiona

Edited by fee666

One thing is putting up the notice and another thing entirely for it to have an effect.

My latest strategy is online sales. I'd had a bit of success so far but will have to streamline it.

Bloody hell, this sounds like something from a deeply disturbed individual. My intension is to put up a notice board on the side of my nb saying something like "grass cutting, weeding, general gardening, nb cleaning, vacuum cleaning, ironing" and anything else I can think of that a cc or anyone walking the towpaths would like to have done.

I'll charge £12.00 per hour

I am sure that you could get your dog back to Russia if you tried hard enough, although I don't know how much that would cost.

Wishing you all the best in your tribulations.

Daiboy

I'm told South is far better for dog walking. I'm great with dogs but nsomehow as a buisness it didn't seem to throw any green roots.

By the way, I should stress I'm not the only one in a pickle. All the friends I know on boats are struggling a bit. I've seen worse cases than myself and far better as well.

Maybe I should blog my tribulations.

Hi, i am a professional dog walker, but i also offer pet sitting, small animal feeding and dog boarding.

i have been doing this now for a year and found that when starting out i did a leaflet drop of around two thousand

leaflets and didnt get any phone calls from this.

i also advertised in a local handbook (monthly mag) at a cost of about £20.00 per month.

i also put the leaflets in the local vets and pet shops.

I dont earn what i would call a full time wage from this at the moment but some weeks are better than others, but then again i dont work full time either, so i am happy with what i get.

most of my business has come through the local handbook, and also reconmendations. with a few from the vets and pet shops.

the problem with a leaflet drop i think is that you are an unkown, which when you are talking about peoples pets which are part of there family. so putting a leaflet through a door is not enough.

thats why i think the monthly local handbook works because people see you advertising every month so they get to know who you are and then they think that they can trust you.

on my advertising and my choice of company name (fiona the dog walker) its personal and they feel like they know you.

i also have a picture of me in my advert. so they know who i am.

i have also found that i am looking after a few chickens.

hope this helps

fiona

I'm told South is far better for dog walking. I'm great with dogs but nsomehow as a buisness it didn't seem to throw any green roots.

By the way, I should stress I'm not the only one in a pickle. All the friends I know on boats are struggling a bit. I've seen worse cases than myself and far better as well.

Maybe I should blog my tribulations.

not sure about the south better for dog walking, I live in one of the worst areas for unemployment in the whole country.

thats the reason i set up in my own business as i could not find a job after i lost my job.

:) never give up, to succeed in any aspect of life , takes a lot of hard work, especially going self-employed. Decide what skills adn interests you have and write them down on a sheet of paper, then see if you can possibly make money out of any of them. Once you have decided on something then think of a business name and get cards printed as that always looks professional. Always try to be presentable as sadly folks do 'judge a book by its cover' if it is going to cost them money. :)

A very simple business i set up a few years ago was a gardening business, i only did basic gardening cuttin lawns ectera , keepin the gardesn tidy but it was a good way to earn money. Living on a boat should be no obstacle as long as you prepare yourself properly and irecon you will get more good advice on here. Good luck with your venture and remember 'nothign ventured, nothin gained' :)

O.K. so I've had some success. Nothing to rave about but some sign maybe it can be done. This isn't dog walking which failed miserably (as much as I love dogs and still walk one for free). I'm trying simple bartering. Get stuff to sell and put it either online or in newspapers (via internet). I haven't yet sold anything ubnfortunately but people do phone and maybe I'll find the right price to go at.

I did just join e-bay. It's free to surf on 3 phones so I've gotten some idea of prices. I haven't put anything on e-bay yet but will do so soon. I suppose I'll have to join Paypal too and sort out my debit/payment arrangement.

I must say all attempts to find any work have failed miserably on every occasion. I went down that path after redundancy and now think it was a waste of time as just too many applicants. I'm told the average around here is 500 applicants per vacancy. So, self employment seems more realistic.

The plan is to streamline everything. Green power on the boat and a target of incoming cash that will just about oover moorings and basics. In between that carry on learning diesel mechanics and electrics which I enjoy as a matter of course.

Tough times, though. I just met an electrician who wants to sell his fibreglass boat as he just lost his job. He told me as a tradesman he can only get minimum wage jobs so has to cut back.

:) never give up, to succeed in any aspect of life , takes a lot of hard work, especially going self-employed. Decide what skills adn interests you have and write them down on a sheet of paper, then see if you can possibly make money out of any of them. Once you have decided on something then think of a business name and get cards printed as that always looks professional. Always try to be presentable as sadly folks do 'judge a book by its cover' if it is going to cost them money. :)

A very simple business i set up a few years ago was a gardening business, i only did basic gardening cuttin lawns ectera , keepin the gardesn tidy but it was a good way to earn money. Living on a boat should be no obstacle as long as you prepare yourself properly and irecon you will get more good advice on here. Good luck with your venture and remember 'nothign ventured, nothin gained' :)

Edited by FORTUNATA

What was the job?

1st Line Technical Support

The sheer number of applicants was due in part to some not so bright spark, sending the details to the Job centre. Who seem don't bother to check if

the applicant met or understood the job requirements. To them it's just a another box ticked and target met.

Firesprite

In Stockholm, Sweden

1st Line Technical Support

The sheer number of applicants was due in part to some not so bright spark, sending the details to the Job centre. Who seem don't bother to check if

the applicant met or understood the job requirements. To them it's just a another box ticked and target met.

Firesprite

In Stockholm, Sweden

I can see what went wrong :)

I know it's hard for you to answer this question, how many applicants were genuine?