Toilets

DustyDave

Featured Posts

On Thursday I'll be the proud owner of a new (second hand) thetford porta potti. I was wondering if it's a requirement for all narrowboaters to own more than one toilet? I only have one toilet at home. God know why I felt the need to have a second toilet for the boat.

Dave

(Well I'm sure it's been a good while since the last toilet thread)

On Thursday I'll be the proud owner of a new (second hand) thetford porta potti. I was wondering if it's a requirement for all narrowboaters to own more than one toilet? I only have one toilet at home. God know why I felt the need to have a second toilet for the boat.

Dave

It depends on how many women you have in your crew as to how many bathrooms you have.

Grabs battle bower and ducks for cover

Firesprite

In the Fens

Edited by nbfiresprite

Not seen more than 1 loo on narrowboats (unless one is a porta potti and the other a pump out?), but it's common on Dutch Barge types where the wheelhouse breaks up the living quarters.

Not seen more than 1 loo on narrowboats (unless one is a porta potti and the other a pump out?), but it's common on Dutch Barge types where the wheelhouse breaks up the living quarters.

You have not lived!

I used to maintain boats for Ownerships with two 'pump out' toilets being the norm.

I currently helm and manage a community narrowboat with three 'pump out' toilets (and three showers and four washbasins).

You have not lived!

I used to maintain boats for Ownerships with two 'pump out' toilets being the norm.

I currently helm and manage a community narrowboat with three 'pump out' toilets (and three showers and four washbasins).

So you have three women in the crew then?

Firesprite

In the wilds of the Fens

Dave

We have two toilets -both pump out. We will be changing one shortly to a cassette one

Dave

Dave

To give a serious answer to your question. You do not say whether this "new" porta potti is complimenting an existing one or a pump out, but in either case two on board is not a bad idea.

We used to have a pump out and a Porta Potti, but found we never uased the pump out, so whan I did a re-fit, it came out, and was replaced by (yes you have guessed) a second Porta Potti. This has proved a good decision, because not only does it provide us with a spare holding tank, which can be useful on some canals where disposal units are few and far between, but also when one of them developed a seal leak, we were able to press the other one into service.

Unless you are proposing to have both toilets in service at the same time, storage of the spare can be a problem, I designed the sink unit so that the spare will fit into a cupboard built below the sink, out of sight, but readily available if needed.

Edited by David Schweizer

Another handy thing about Porta potties is that as long as you don't use Blue of any kind,a clandestine visit to waste land a field,dig a hole and bury the contents.this of course is a desperate measure only to be done in an emergency, if your caught out at a distance from a sanitary station. bizzard.

So you have three women in the crew then?

Firesprite

In the wilds of the Fens

Being twelve berth plus helmsman, we generally have more than three women on board. Two of our volunteer helmsmen are helmswoman!

Don't think living in Coventry will save you!

Not the number of women, but the number of people.

Tawny Owl has 2 pump out loos, but she sleeps 10 so when cruising with a full compliment anything less would be a bit of a problem.

When there's just the two of us we only use one though.

We did take the shower out of the second bathroom and change the layout to fit an extra wardrobe. We figured we didn't have the hot water capacity or water pressure for two showers at the same time :P

Sue

Dave

Some of the threads on this board are just stupid - and this is probably the best (or worst) example this week. Please explain why you need to have a 2nd toilet on your boat ........ if God doesn't know why are you asking the question on here? .......... on reflection don't bother,. Take your porta potti home and use it as an en-suite.

Being twelve berth plus helmsman, we generally have more than three women on board. Two of our volunteer helmsmen are helmswoman!

Don't think living in Coventry will save you!

Passed through Covemtry on train but never stop there. Looks a hell hole of ring roads and shopping centres. Apart from that

I live miles from there.

Firesprite

In the wilds of the Fens

Some of the threads on this board are just stupid - and this is probably the best (or worst) example this week. Please explain why you need to have a 2nd toilet on your boat ........ if God doesn't know why are you asking the question on here? .......... on reflection don't bother,. Take your porta potti home and use it as an en-suite.

Don,t see how its a stupid question.Should have two loos or one ? maybe OP is tying to work out the best use of space on board and was thinking of two loos because of how many people on board ,but just needed advice as to wether it was viable or required.

Why answer the question if it is so stupid and so irritating to you or any of the other posts as well or even read them at all or perhaps just don,t log on to the site in the first place as you seem to find the whole board so irksome.

14Skipper

Edited by 14skipper
  • Greenie 2

We did take the shower out of the second bathroom and change the layout to fit an extra wardrobe. We figured we didn't have the hot water capacity or water pressure for two showers at the same time :P

Sue

Presumably you've got a two-person size shower though?

Don,t see how its a stupid question.Should have two loos or one ? maybe OP is tying to work out the best use of space on board and was thinking of two loos because of how many people on board ,but just needed advice as to wether it was viable or required.

Why answer the question if it is so stupid and so irritating to you or any of the other posts as well or even read them at all or perhaps just don,t log on to the site in the first place as you seem to find the whole board so irksome.

14Skipper

Have a greenie.

Edited by David Schweizer

ok, I'll come clean. I've bought a second toilet as a temporary measure while I replace my pump out tank (rusting and in the way for putting in kids bunks). I'm pretty excited about having two toilets. I'm also looking forward to experiencing the trials and tribulations of using a porta potti. Will it be as bad as they say it is?

Dave

ok, I'll come clean. I've bought a second toilet as a temporary measure while I replace my pump out tank (rusting and in the way for putting in kids bunks). I'm pretty excited about having two toilets. I'm also looking forward to experiencing the trials and tribulations of using a porta potti. Will it be as bad as they say it is?

Dave

You'll love it,just pop a peg on your bugle when emptying it. :blush: