Going to look at a butty

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Thanks Pete.

Sounds fairly convincing it is not Tilbury then.

To be fair, then the HNBOC list did actually list its entry as "Tilbury (Triton)" before the entry from the KD info that said it was subsequently renamed to "Jester".

To be fair, then the HNBOC list did actually list its entry as "Tilbury (Triton)" before the entry from the KD info that said it was subsequently renamed to "Jester".

My problem is that if something is printed in a historical journal such as the H.N.B.O.C. NEWSLETTER then it should be correct as 'enthusiasts' will use it as a term of reference. I know the editor and consider her as a friend but I have never agreed that this magazine (or any other historical magazine) should be used as a means to generate debate (which is the editors view), my reason being corrections made in a later edition may not be seen by everybody who has read the original article leading to poor research becoming published 'fact'.

I have records of all of the narrow boats converted by Floating Homes Ltd., West Byfleet. Following conversion most if not all of these boats were renamed which has caused no end of confusion. Fortunately the progress of these conversions was monitored and recorded at the time by 'enthusiasts' (and possibly by one of the residents) and I also have some of these records. This is how I know that TILBURY was renamed TRITON on its conversion to a house boat and I have a list of subsequent owners followed by a record of its being broken up on the Basingstoke Canal in 1998

Unfortunately JESTER is one of the boats where its history has been lost for the time being, except that it is without doubt a Large Ricky butty.

I do not know where Miss Dainty got her information from that was published in a recent H.N.B.O.C. NewsLetter. I have become rather dissapointed with this publication of late as it carries too many of these unfounded and poorly researched claims. This is not however the reason why I have decided not to renew my H.N.B.O.C. membership of 23 years.

I think it could be improved by footnotes.

Go for it, it's an itch so you'd best get scratching else it will drive you mad!

I've been through a similar dilemma, butty or no butty, historic or modern etc etc. Eventually I decided on getting one built, Dave Harris is going to make it, he seems quite keen and has some quite considerable skill, as well as good knowledge of what is needed froma Butty, not cheap, but I get what I want width and length wise. Width is an issue here on the K&A where it's possible and preferrable to get both motor and butty in the lock at the same time, most converted butties I measured were over 7' wide, so the decision was made to keep the width to a more modern 6' 10". Length will be IRO 70' possibly 69' 6" to make it a little easier on some of the tight locks (crofton bottom lock for one).

The other reason for getting one built was that my motor boat is more modern in cross section and the high 'guards' of a old working butty override the 'defences' on Apache.

What will I use it for? After living aboard for many years we decided the thing we missed was a little 'creative space' to develop other interests so the front 2/3rds will become a workshop/studio, and the back third will become a nice cosy self contained 2 person accomodation, simple but nice enough that visitors could stay as long as they wanted without feeling that toes were being trod on.

I CC so the burden of any extra mooring cost is reduced, and being unpowered the licence is reduced to a reasonable level.

If it works as I hope I will like the extra challenge of handling a pair well, and if in the end I think it's just not been worth the extra hassel it will, I hope, still appeal to someone when it comes to selling

Good luck with your decision, it took me ages, but having now decided, I do sleep better!

Paul

GSer, I'm impressed. I'll effectively be CCing for a year or two (from the spring) but I can envisage times/places it simply wouldn't be practical to drag the butty along, hence my concern about mooring costs.

The other thing is, the butty I'm looking at is very electricity dependent. How are you planning to overcome that with yours?

Edited by Chertsey

GSer, I'm impressed. I'll effectively be CCing for a year or two (from the spring) but I can envisage times/places it simply wouldn't be practical to drag the butty along, hence my concern about mooring costs.

The other thing is, the butty I'm looking at is very electricity dependent. How are you planning to overcome that with yours?

All the following has had some thought but is very malleable as and when I have brainwaves/lacks of confidence/financial disasters etc

Mooring? I'm getting to know plenty of people on the cut so i'f I fancy single boating again I can dump the butty with a friend to keep an eye on, worst case senario is that I need to moor both boats then it can be a bit pricey, but i'm planning the butty to be very secure so bankside mooring for 14 days should not be an issue if needed.

Power wise i'll be fitting a small diesel 4kw generator when funds allow (eventually solar panels will provide a backup). In Apache I have a 7kw Kholer generator i'm planning on putting a 240v charger (that I already have) in the butty and linking the two boats 240v whilst moored, i guess i'd need to join the two boats earths to keep it all safe. The butty will have an immersion heater in it's calorifier either generator can keep it powered for warm water. I tend to run the genny for everyday charging anyway giving the Gardner in Apache a little rest from day to day duties.

When cruising breasted up I will link the two boats battery banks with push fit battery connector similar to the ones forktrucks use for their battery banks this will easily pull apart should I have any need to quickly separate the boats.

I think the Butties heating will be the first thing added once it's lined, i fancy a solid fuel stove with a backboiler using a heat/gravity driven, i understand these systems are a bit of a bugger to set up well so i thought i'd build it first the develop the butty around it, I thought to have the fire in the middle of the saloon/kitchen with two rads in the workshop.

Good luck

Paul

They are currently on PB's new boat, moving along the Broads towards Lowestoft, before the sea trip round to Walton on the Naze.

Jealous? Me? Too Right!

Yes, sitting in the sun at Walton, lovely run down, five and a half hours, engine didn't miss a beat. Nice few days on the Broads too. Will be looking at the butty on Thursday.