NB Python - Anyone remember her?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Dave and I have finally got around to volunteering with The Chesterfield Canal Society. It is a fairly obvious choice for us as the planned new basin will be only half a mile from our home. It appears there are a number of ways we can use our experience and talents to assist the society but when an opportunity arose to assist with crewing their learning boat Python at the weekend we jumped at the chance.

A few details about her:

Python is a ex-working boat. She is a coppered steel construction craft built by Yarwoods in Northwich and fitted out at Uxbridge. She was commissioned in February 1930. Her fleet number was 249 and her registration number was UXB 572. She came into the hands of the British Transport Commission (which eventually became British Waterways) in 1949. They shortened her in the 1980's to her current 53'. She had been out of service for a year before the handover.

More info about her can be found here: NB Python

Now I will admit at this point that I know very little about the boat but as we started to unravel some of her history from those who do know it became apparent that Dave does actually have some memories of her from the days when she was a working boat and he used to spend his lunchbreak down by canal where Python was based and as he was very friendly with the lock keeper there it followed that there would be a certain amount of banter at the time about their workboat and it's crew. It also appears that a prized windlass that Dave has on our boat which was handed to him by the lock keeper when he retired would actually have been a windlass used to lock Python through during it's working days. When we relayed this to the Python team we realised just how important this type of anecdotal inforamtion is in assisting them to piece together her history.

Knowing that there are so many people on the forum who have such a wealth of knowledge about anything canal related I thought that maybe someone might be able to add to the knowledge The Society already have about her.

I am sorry I do not know the detail of exactly which lock it was that Dave used to visit, or when! You will notice that I am posting this at a stupid hour of the morning as I can't sleep and I do not think he would be too happy with me if I woke him up to ask. I will however get the missing info and update it tomorrow.

I know many of you will have seen her while she was out and about on her summer tour this year. She is likely to be back at base by the end of the week ready for some more work to be done to her over the winter period.

We are looking forward to getting to crew her more often next season if we get the chance. I will also post a couple of photos of her tomorrow - thanks in anticipation for any assistance you can offer

I took a series of photographs on the Regents Canal in the early 1970s.

At the time "Python" was present as a BW maintenance boat, still origininal length, and largely untampered with.

The negative I have is not very good quality, and did not scan in particularly well.

"Python" was tied up on the off-side, just above Sturt's locks. (Sturt's locks, because in those days all the Regents locks were still paired, and the second one had not yet been removed).

Python's front can just be seen in the second picture.

Sorry about the quality!

Zen_012_30_Above_Sturts_Lock.jpg

Zen_012_31_Sturts_Lock.jpg

Alan, that is amazing! I am sure the guys at The Chesterfield Canal Society will love to see that image if they have not already seen it?

I have checked with Dave and his memories of Python are from Old Ford Lock on The Regents Canal in the late '80s and early '90's when he regularly had a lunchtime chat with Larry who was the lock keeper there.

I took these photo's on Sunday - but do not seem to have got the link right to make them work - can anyone tell me what I need to edit out?

a>

a>

Alan, that is amazing! I am sure the guys at The Chesterfield Canal Society will love to see that image if they have not already seen it?

I have checked with Dave and his memories of Python are from Old Ford Lock on The Regents Canal in the late '80s and early '90's when he regularly had a lunchtime chat with Larry who was the lock keeper there.

I took these photo's on Sunday - but do not seem to have got the link right to make them work - can anyone tell me what I need to edit out?

a>

a>

clicky

I spent some time talking to the guys from Python in the beer tent & onboard @ Braunston this year,even managed to grab John Boswell to have a chat with them as one of his relatives had Python for a while.

I was v honoured to do this as these guys came across as being v proud & dedicated to the care & presevation of Python & its history,they have my vote any day.

• Greenie 1

Thanks Neil!

Jeanette, I would imagine they were really chuffed to be introduced to John. You are right, they are very passionate about being custodians of a chunk of our waterways heritage and that is one of the reasons why Dave and I are looking forward to being more involved with the various projects the society are embarking upon.

Thanks so much for responding

I remember it banging into us at Retford last week!

Thankfully Dave was not in charge of the tiller at the time - I do seem to remember it spending a lot of time aground as well ;)

It was Python's 82nd birthday yesterday. I think she is becoming a cantankerous old lady!

• 2 weeks later...

I use to work on her when she was run by b.w when I work fir them bk in 1998 she was a nice boat been on some good trip with up up and don the g.u canal b Nic some day for her to come bk down to London soon cos eveone no her down here !