Oil sump pump

Featured Posts

I will be due to do my second oil change shortly and what a ball ache it is to drain the oil from the engine. The drain plug could not be situated in a more awkward place. A mirror has to be placed just so to get a good view of the plug and when the plug is removed oil discharges into the bilges due to not being able to position my oil catching, cat litter filled, roasting tray due to the engine bearers. Funnily enough the bearer is also just in the right position so that when the oil is emptying it manages to glug onto the top of it and run both sides of it before i can get my deflecting baking tray into position, leaving my bilges looking like a Cornish beach in 1967 (where did that 44 year go).

Anyway is there some kind of permanent manual sum pump i could fit into the oil sump drain hole to save going through all the aforementioned rigmarole at each oil change. Googling only seems to turn up pumps with a pipe to shove down the dipstick hole which is not what i am really after. Anybody got any ideas.

Roast potatoes and scone's go to the person with the best suggestions.

I will be due to do my second oil change shortly and what a ball ache it is to drain the oil from the engine. The drain plug could not be situated in a more awkward place. A mirror has to be placed just so to get a good view of the plug and when the plug is removed oil discharges into the bilges due to not being able to position my oil catching, cat litter filled, roasting tray due to the engine bearers. Funnily enough the bearer is also just in the right position so that when the oil is emptying it manages to glug onto the top of it and run both sides of it before i can get my deflecting baking tray into position, leaving my bilges looking like a Cornish beach in 1967 (where did that 44 year go).

Anyway is there some kind of permanent manual sum pump i could fit into the oil sump drain hole to save going through all the aforementioned rigmarole at each oil change. Googling only seems to turn up pumps with a pipe to shove down the dipstick hole which is not what i am really after. Anybody got any ideas.

Midland chandler's stock them. bizzard

yes sump pumps r very common u should b able 2 get 1 from any chandlrey or u could buy an oil extractor pump which should come with a pipe small enough 2 go down the dipstick tube that is the way i change my oil u can get extractor pumps from machien mart or ebay hope this helps .

have a good 1 riki

using the sump plug as a measure get a union and jublee clip a pipe onto it screw the union into where the sump plug used to go. Fit a isolation tap and a manual lift pump on the other end of the pipe.

B)

90.JPG109217.jpg

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

yes sump pumps r very common u should b able 2 get 1 from any chandlrey or u could buy an oil extractor pump which should come with a pipe small enough 2 go down the dipstick tube that is the way i change my oil u can get extractor pumps from machien mart or ebay hope this helps .

have a good 1 riki

I've just worked out that you have saved yourself typing 14 letters and pressing shift four times.

if i can fit it in due to engine bearer and does the isolation valve have to be of any kind of spec?

On mine there isnt enough room to put the isolation tap at the sump, its at the base of the pump instead.

Isolation should be fuel spec (ie diesel).

I would steer clear of iron and stick to brass or proper marine stainless steel. I'm sure they'll be a kit (optional extra) for your engine already. That might be reasonably priced and affordable, doubt it tho. LOL.

hi,

Buy a Pela Oil extraction unit,get the oil nice and hot - (take boat for a run), insert tube in dip stick hole. Pump to create a vacum and empty sump,When Pela container full empty into suitable oil drum and repeat as necessary.

Job done no mess - send goodies to .....................

LEO

PS. Oil must be hot

On mine there isnt enough room to put the isolation tap at the sump, its at the base of the pump instead.

Isolation should be fuel spec (ie diesel).

I would steer clear of iron and stick to brass or proper marine stainless steel. I'm sure they'll be a kit (optional extra) for your engine already. That might be reasonably priced and affordable, doubt it tho. LOL.

Cheer PFU, and others. Brass fittings and a bit of jiggery pokery it is then.

Roast 'taters* and scones on way

*may contain cat litter.

Hmmm... don't think my lift pump has an isolation tap (M3.10). Is that just a belt 'n braces thing? To be perfectly honest, I've never looked that closely at the bottom of the pump so I guess it could have an isolator, but if it has then it's permanently turned on.

Tony

I've had a better google about today and managed to come up with 2 pumps which look very similar. I really can't make my mind up which to pick, but i have a gut feeling i know which one it will be. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/Engineering/OilSumpPump/Brass/Ep018.aspx

http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/oil-change-sump-pumps/seaflow-manual-oil-change-sump-pump-203800

• 5 years later...
2 minutes ago, arcsyst said:

I realise this thread is a bit old but does anyone know if you can get replacement plunger seals for the seaflo pump? Mines reluctant to pump after 5 years ☹️

If you can, take the top off and squirt some oil in.  If you can't squirt some oil up the outlet.  It will go then.

N

5 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If you can, take the top off and squirt some oil in.  If you can't squirt some oil up the outlet.  It will go then.

N

Thanks for the quick response, I actually did that last time and it did help. However I feel I'm putting more and more effort in for less and less pumping!