Full time liveaboards and cars

Windfola

Featured Posts

I need to change my car. I now have two large dogs and a Mini Cooper convertible, while delectable, is not cutting it, space wise. But if I am going to continuously cruise from next spring, I need to think about practicalities.

Aside from the recent discussion about the difficulties of getting car insurance without bricks and mortar, how do people manage running a car, when moving their boats on a regular basis?

I will be on my own, and so not in a position where I can effectively to car shuttles. I have met a lady living aboard who moves her boat a couple of miles each time and then walks her dog back down the towpath to collect her vehicle. Do other people do this? I am not working for the foreseeable so commuting is not an issue.

I'm not sure I could go without a car entirely, as I have various regular commitments which will be difficult by public transport (also I a born petrol head and not sure I could cope carless, without feeling empty and bereft).

Experiences/suggestions please

I need to change my car. I now have two large dogs and a Mini Cooper convertible, while delectable, is not cutting it, space wise. But if I am going to continuously cruise from next spring, I need to think about practicalities.

Aside from the recent discussion about the difficulties of getting car insurance without bricks and mortar, how do people manage running a car, when moving their boats on a regular basis?

I will be on my own, and so not in a position where I can effectively to car shuttles. I have met a lady living aboard who moves her boat a couple of miles each time and then walks her dog back down the towpath to collect her vehicle. Do other people do this? I am not working for the foreseeable so commuting is not an issue.

I'm not sure I could go without a car entirely, as I have various regular commitments which will be difficult by public transport (also I a born petrol head and not sure I could cope carless, without feeling empty and bereft).

This has been done before. Get a tug style boat and a micro car,get a wide ramp,even a draw bridge and side load it.Just like the old steam powered Woolwich ferry used to do. Park car on deck,or erect a garage on deck with side doors. bizzard

We continuously cruise with a car. We either do short hops and my husband cycles back for the car, or we travel for a few days then use the train. It can be difficult sometimes, but we went without a car for our first seven months on board and found the logistics of getting around on public transport when we did need to get somewhere just as complicated (and expensive - public transport ain't cheap nowadays!)

I guess you have to weigh up your need for a car and the headache of fetching it every time you move. I got rid of my car and now use a combination of Public Transport and hire cars. I need a car about 6-8 times a year for long weekends (mainly to visit my Mother) This Thursday I have booked a car for 5 days cost £61. If I do that 8 times a year less than £500 for the year compared to the cost of owning even a small car of about £1,000 a year and no wandering towpaths to collect car and finding places to park.

Cycling (in less portly days), canoeing, walking or public transport were my usual ways of getting back to the car.

When I was ccing without work I kept the car in a rented lock-up garage, until I needed it.

My only problems were a £30 Metro torched at Newbold (no great loss) and BW stealing and crushing my Triumph Herald, from Bascote (great loss, until the compo cheque arrived... kerching!).

The canals main competitor in the early days means you are often (though of course not always) not that far from the rail network and a station, so often you will be able to hop back to your car and let the train take the strain.

Edited by MJG

The canals main competitor in the early days means you are often (though of course not always) not that far from the rail network and a station, so often you will be able to hop back to your car and let the train take the strain.

which is fine, however, I was going back for my car today, and there were NO trains, and NO bus service, so bike came into use. Which is probably a good idea as I needed the excercise too.

I London it was simple, I abandoned the car in lots of different places and the tube/buses go everywhere. I need it for work so can't do without it.

How often do you really need the car? If it's only a few times a month then renting would be cheaper and less hassle.

Well, I would have agreed --- combination of taxis, train, bus, hire car & you don't have to buy, tax, insure etc, a car.

However, with the dogs you may have to stick with some wheels.

Get rid of the car..............Enterpise adverts says they will deliver their hire car to you................now that could be interesting :closedeyes:

They never say that they will get you back at the end though. :unsure:

Some friends of ours leave their car somewhere central and if they need it either blag a lift or train back for it.

It's not a day to day arrangement mind but if you're CCing do you really need a vehicle?

We cc and we need our car

My parents live in Lancashire - we visit them every two to three months.

Dave's parents live in Kent - we visit them every two to three months.

On top of that we have regular trips away from the boat - so far this year we've been to my great aunt's funeral in Kingston-upon-Thames, with a stop off in Coventry to drop the dog at my brother's house. We had a short break on the Isle of Wight to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, with a detour to Kent to drop off the dog. We went up to the Edinburgh Festival a few weeks ago, with a detour to my mum & dad's house to drop off the dog. Not long after we went to the Great Dorset Steam Fair (took the dog with us this time :)). We're taking our son down to the South West soon for his first year at uni. In early October we're going to my aunt's 60th birthday in Southend, Essex - with a detour to Coventry to drop off the dog.

This wouldn't be practical or affordable on public transport. We have an old Corsa that cost us £400, third party insurance is a couple of hundred quid and because it's a small car the tax isn't silly money. It's diesel and does 60 to the gallon. I'm pretty sure hiring cars would cost us more.

Also, while we're cruising, we can stock up in supermarkets rather than have to buy food from local corner shops which is way more expensive.

Definitely worth the hassle of shuffling the car around :)

Edited by Ange

Get rid of the car..............Enterpise adverts says they will deliver their hire car to you................now that could be interesting :closedeyes:

That is who I use and yes they pick you up provided you are within 10 miles

They never say that they will get you back at the end though. :unsure:

They also bring you back

We cc and we need our car

My parents live in Lancashire - we visit them every two to three months.

Dave's parents live in Kent - we visit them every two to three months.

On top of that we have regular trips away from the boat - so far this year we've been to my great aunt's funeral in Kingston-upon-Thames, with a stop off in Coventry to drop the dog at my brother's house. We had a short break on the Isle of Wight to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, with a detour to Kent to drop off the dog. We went up to the Edinburgh Festival a few weeks ago, with a detour to my mum & dad's house to drop off the dog. Not long after we went to the Great Dorset Steam Fair (took the dog with us this time :)). We're taking our son down to the South West soon for his first year at uni. In early October we're going to my aunt's 60th birthday in Southend, Essex - with a detour to Coventry to drop off the dog.

This wouldn't be practical or affordable on public transport. We have an old Corsa that cost us £400, third party insurance is a couple of hundred quid and because it's a small car the tax isn't silly money. It's diesel and does 60 to the gallon. I'm pretty sure hiring cars would cost us more.

Also, while we're cruising, we can stock up in supermarkets rather than have to buy food from local corner shops which is way more expensive.

Definitely worth the hassle of shuffling the car around :)

I guess we are all different just seems such a hassle for about 6 trips a year, but hey if it works for you thats good.

We tried the - let the daughter look after the car- we got the repair bills. Then we were without a car for 15 yrs and did the same as Cotswoldman. That is definately the cheapest way. We now do have a cheap old car but most of the time it is at the house.

Sue

Because of various (non-work) commitments I am likely to need to travel more than an hour's drive every couple of weeks, often with dogs in tow (overnights etc), so I don't think public transport would be much good. I've not really thought about hiring, but am guessing the costs would rise with that kind of frequency of need.

A bicycle - now that would be interesting. The last time I rode one was about a thousand years ago. I have toyed with idea of a folding moped or scooter that I could keep on board.

Is it?

Over the past year I have spent £395 keeping my car on the road.

Surely Cotswoldsman's 6 trips a year, in a hire car, would cost more?

Depends how many days those trips covered, so £400 would get you 10 weekends, and you'll have a better car.

I also use Enterprise, recently hired a 'weekend special' (Friday afternoon to Monday morning).

Car: Vauxhaul Igsinia, 2 litre diesel.

Cost: £125.35 plus returnable deposit of £200

Fuel: £60

Miles travelled: 450

Picked up and returned to boat, have hired from many of their bases, those near the canals are used to boaters.

Smaller and larger cars are available, for different costs.

ps. no connection just satisfied customer. Other hire companies are available.

Is it?

Over the past year I have spent £395 keeping my car on the road.

Surely Cotswoldsman's 6 trips a year, in a hire car, would cost more?

Does that include insurance, depreciation MOT Test? and the other thing is I am sure you are able to do your own maintenance. My point really is not all about cost but the hassle factor of having to keep returning to collect car. In my case I do not work and really on a day to day basis have no need for a car. I also have one of those great bus passes so public transport for me is very cheap.

Does that include insurance, depreciation MOT Test? and the other thing is I am sure you are able to do your own maintenance. My point really is not all about cost but the hassle factor of having to keep returning to collect car. In my case I do not work and really on a day to day basis have no need for a car. I also have one of those great bus passes so public transport for me is very cheap.

Insurance, Tax and a service I did myself. I get a free MOT test each year from my insurer.

Depreciation isn't a factor, I could probably weigh it in, at the moment, for as much as I paid for it.

I budget £300 to get a car through the MOT. If it costs more I weigh it in and use the £300, plus whatever I get from the scrap man, to buy a new one

So far the Rover has been through two MOTs with no advisories, so I'm £600 up on my budget, so far.

If I was single, retired and ccing then I would probably have a big fast motorbike, sat on the front deck. I'm not, so I need a car but don't like spending money on them.