Online resource

Peter Underwood

Featured Posts

The first six of my 12-part series on Living Afloat - published by Towpath Talk over the past year are now available as downloadable pdfs - and they are free here for anyone who found them useful. The other half dozen will be up soon.

http://www.norburywharfltd.co.uk/new_page_3.htm

Wow, thanks! This is just the sort of thing I've been looking for! Cheers!

You should be aware that the article on "What it costs" is highly optimistic. House prices keep pace with inflation, but boats

don't, even when maintained in superb condition - and that costs quite a lot to do. Two bags of coal a week might work on a small narrowboat in a mild winter, but many people will use rather more in cold weather.

You should be aware that the article on "What it costs" is highly optimistic. House prices keep pace with inflation, but boats

don't, even when maintained in superb condition - and that costs quite a lot to do. Two bags of coal a week might work on a small narrowboat in a mild winter, but many people will use rather more in cold weather.

Perhaps you're boat isn't well enough insulated.

I used just less than two bags of coal a week over the last three winters (the first two in the coldest parts of England). 70ft narrowboat with a squirrel and epping stove - The squirrel rarely goes out October to April.

You should be aware that the article on "What it costs" is highly optimistic. House prices keep pace with inflation, but boatsdon't, even when maintained in superb condition - and that costs quite a lot to do. Two bags of coal a week might work on a small narrowboat in a mild winter, but many people will use rather more in cold weather.

Thanks, I haven't gotten to that bit yet. I'd be rather surprised if anything in life matched up with a 'how to'! Life seems to be a little too unpredictable, at least mine is anyway! But I do also agree that how well insulated you are can make a big difference, it probably also depends on how cold-tolerant you are. Several times my sister and I will be going out together and I'm wearing shorts, flip-flops and a t-shirt and she's wearing thick socks, trainers, jeans, a long sleeved shirt and a jacket! I'm sure she would use loads more coal than I would.

I think you are wrong on 2 counts. I know quite a few people who have purchased good second hand boats and sold them for more than they paid. 2 bags of coal a week work for me most of the winter.