Alternative Masking tape

Featured Posts

I have just done some boat painting and started off using the standard masking tape - until - my neighbour introduced me to KIP tape.Its not cheap but so much better than the normal stuff and does not become a pig to get off after a period of time (supposedly OK to remove after 60 days of being on?)

Bright yellow and a real pleasure to use.

I have just done some boat painting and started off using the standard masking tape - until - my neighbour introduced me to KIP tape.Its not cheap but so much better than the normal stuff and does not become a pig to get off after a period of time (supposedly OK to remove after 60 days of being on?)

Bright yellow and a real pleasure to use.

There is also Eurostar Tape, used by sign writers and available from Wrights of Lymm, only problem is you have to buy in bulk :- http://www.stonehouses.co.uk/product_list.php

Can you confirm that was with oil based paint because the words say it is for water based paints and may not work with oil based ones.

Cheers

Yes, it says it's for water based paints, but I didn't notice this until I'd used it with Craftmaster paint. It worked a treat and the paint it was masking had only been painted a few hours before and it hadn't really hardened. No pull off or bleed through whatsoever.

• 9 months later...

Polyimide, pressure-sensitive, adhesive tape with silicone resin.Excellent dielectric insulation properties.High heat resistance and excellent solvent resistance and Ideal for masking PCB gold fingers during wave solder or solder dip processes.

Reported

Edited by Theo
Thanks G&F, Nick

Hi all

-

Another option is Kleen Edge 25mm masking tape, widely used by many professional outfits for coach lines. It produces superb clean lines and can be left on for weeks. Limelkiln Chandlers at Stourport and Compton ( Wolverhampton ) are stockists. Frog tape also performs well. David Scchweizer suggested signwriters' Lo Tak tape. PLease note that the red Eurostar he mentions is no longer made, tho' a similar substitute is available. I use this for lettering purposes but I wouldn't use it for coach lines as it doesn't like damp atmosphere if left on overnight - removing it after some time usually results in transparent backing tape being pulled off and the red adhesive sticking to the paint! I'd also recommend Craftmaster 14 day red lo tak, but it's not a cheap choice.

Hope that this helps.

Dave