sh!t fuel - ghastly price

Pretty Funked Up

Featured Posts

Picked up some fuel from Kate boats (toplock), my gut told me not to get it but my head said 'well youve pulled over and tied up now may as well get some'. 20 mins later I get some random drops in revs, 1.5-2hrs later its really struggling to run. Obviously water in the fuel, so had a nose in the filter and its practically full of water!! :angry:

on a fixed 60/40 split (propulsion/generation) it was the most expensive water I've ever bought!

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

I wonder why your 'gut' was telling you not to buy the fuel from Kate boats. Do they not run hire boats? I would have thought their fuel would turn over fairly quickly. Are you sure the water was not already in your tank and the filling of it stirred it up a bit and thence into your filter?

In any event you need a fuel additive..........

Just a few thoughts

Ditchdabbler

I wonder why your 'gut' was telling you not to buy the fuel from Kate boats. Do they not run hire boats? I would have thought their fuel would turn over fairly quickly. Are you sure the water was not already in your tank and the filling of it stirred it up a bit and thence into your filter?

In any event you need a fuel additive..........

Just a few thoughts

Ditchdabbler

Kate Boats run hire fleets from both their Warwick and Stockton bases. If they were putting out hire boats with such poor fuel then they would soon hear back from their hirers! We hired from them for a fortnight in May and certainly didn't have any such problems.

Pretty Funked Up: Was your fuel very low when you bought it. It could easily be that, as Ditchdabbler says, the problem is in your own tank. In any event, have you spoken to Kate Boats about the problem? If not, why haven't you done so?

Stewey

I would almost never buy fuel from any canal outlet where they made me break the law by applying a compulsory declaration of 60/40. I was going to fill up also at their Warwick yard, but when I saw their notice saying 60/40 split only, I carried on past. I did fill up at Lime Farm Marina, where they:-

a) Sell at any split you want to declare unless you are obviously taking the piss

B) Sell FAME free fuel and have a certificate from their fuel supplier to prove it.

c) Also are quite cheap at 85 (or maybe 87?) pence per litre.

People like Lime Farm will always get my business. People like Kate Boats who dictate what you will declare will not. End of story.

Kate Boats run hire fleets from both their Warwick and Stockton bases. If they were putting out hire boats with such poor fuel then they would soon hear back from their hirers! We hired from them for a fortnight in May and certainly didn't have any such problems.

Pretty Funked Up: Was your fuel very low when you bought it. It could easily be that, as Ditchdabbler says, the problem is in your own tank. In any event, have you spoken to Kate Boats about the problem? If not, why haven't you done so?

Stewey

• Greenie 1

No I've not bothered speaking to em. I'm now the other side of birmingham. It was in warick, tiny little place, its not going to be where they service or refuel their hire fleet. This isnt the first time I've bought fuel lol yet this is a 1st for this problem for me.

Who knows perhaps it was all a big coincidence. Even If I did say anything theyre just going to say they same stuff youve replied with thus far. No way I could prove it as the first thing I did was empty the filter and get more fuel then stick an additive in.

It not the end of the world! B)

No I've not bothered speaking to em. I'm now the other side of birmingham. It was in warick, tiny little place, its not going to be where they service or refuel their hire fleet. This isnt the first time I've bought fuel lol yet this is a 1st for this problem for me.

Who knows perhaps it was all a big coincidence. Even If I did say anything theyre just going to say they same stuff youve replied with thus far. No way I could prove it as the first thing I did was empty the filter and get more fuel then stick an additive in.

It not the end of the world! B)

How much water did you drain from your tank?

Picked up some fuel from Kate boats (toplock)

It was in warick, tiny little place, its not going to be where they service or refuel their hire fleet.

Whether it was at Stocktop Top (as you originally indicated), or Warwick (as you later suggested), they service and refuel the hire fleet at both locations.

I would almost never buy fuel from any canal outlet where they made me break the law by applying a compulsory declaration of 60/40. I was going to fill up also at their Warwick yard, but when I saw their notice saying 60/40 split only, I carried on past. I did fill up at Lime Farm Marina, where they:-

a) Sell at any split you want to declare unless you are obviously taking the piss

B) Sell FAME free fuel and have a certificate from their fuel supplier to prove it.

c) Also are quite cheap at 85 (or maybe 87?) pence per litre.

We have separate bow tanks for our stove heating, so those selling @ 60/40 won't be getting my business for sure. I'm sure many boats also have separate supply as well. TBH though I can buy heating oil for 55p per litre, what is is costing on the canal now for non propulsion?

It was in warick, tiny little place, its not going to be where they service or refuel their hire fleet.

Where else would they service and refuel their hire fleet in the few hours between one hirer returning the boat and the next taking it out later the same day?

David

I would almost never buy fuel from any canal outlet where they made me break the law by applying a compulsory declaration of 60/40.

They don't "make" you break the law.

You have the option of not doing business with them, which you have taken.

Simple really,

I'm sorry that Pretty Funked Up has had a problem.

Kate Boats run 11 hire boats and 7 shared ownership boats out of Stockton Top Marina, and 13 hire boats out of the "tiny little place" at Warwick (head office - no boats there because they were all out working!) We have diesel delivered at least once a month, and have had no problems ourselves, or with any other passing trade. I would have prefered if the customer had come back to us to at least give us the opportunity to help, rather than post on a public forum.

The issue of the 60/40 split has been discussed at some length on this forum previously. I just need to keep it simple. We don't make a fortune out of selling diesel, there is not the quantity of passing trade on our section of the Grand Union to make it really viable, the only reason that diesel is available is that we stock it for the hire fleet.

Cheryl

==================

www.kateboats.co.uk

==================

The split is a contentious issue, and will be untill the powers that be decide that it is not worth the trouble, and we switch to white diesel. In the event both parties are 'in their right'... Whilst it is up to the buyer to declare, a seller is not obliged to sell, if he doesn't want too. If the seller only wants to sell at 60/40, that is their business. Afterall, they lose out on a sale. What is illegal, is forcing a buyer to buy at, and de facto declare, at a certain split, against their wish.

Certified FAME free? How supplies that diesel?

i can undrestand you wanting to keep things simple when running a business, but what`s so difficult in working out a formula for

various percentages for those who want to make their own declaration ? . by sticking rigidly to 60/40 all you are doing is collecting extra revenue for the government. if the tax man decided to make things simple and charged you more than he`s entitled to, i`m sure

you wouldn`t be pleased.:angry:

Edited by cariad

Kate Boats run 11 hire boats and 7 shared ownership boats out of Stockton Top Marina, and 13 hire boats out of the "tiny little place" at Warwick (head office - no boats there because they were all out working!) We have diesel delivered at least once a month, and have had no problems ourselves, or with any other passing trade. I would have prefered if the customer had come back to us to at least give us the opportunity to help, rather than post on a public forum.

The issue of the 60/40 split has been discussed at some length on this forum previously. I just need to keep it simple. We don't make a fortune out of selling diesel, there is not the quantity of passing trade on our section of the Grand Union to make it really viable, the only reason that diesel is available is that we stock it for the hire fleet.

Cheryl

==================

www.kateboats.co.uk

==================

I must confess I have some sympathy for Kate Boats. I am mildly surprised that the Mods have not intervened.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Hi Ditchdabbler,

I can see what you mean, and I did see this thread before I popped out for lunch, however I can see that Cheryl has kindly explained her side of things in the reply on behalf of Kate Boats so I can no longer see any issues with this one.

I will continue to monitor though.

i can undrestand you wanting to keep things simple when running a business, but what`s so difficult in working out a formula for

various percentages for those who want to make their own declaration ? . by sticking rigidly to 60/40 all you are doing is collecting extra revenue for the government. if the tax man decided to make things simple and charged you more than he`s entitled to, i`m sure

you wouldn`t be pleased.:angry:

not sure if you meant me, but seeing as your reply is straight after my post...

For the avoidnce of doubt, I do sell at any split that the customer wishes to declare.. I have a few regular splits worked out, and have corresponding declaration sheets, to ease the process. Were a customer to decide on wanting a pedantic split ( say, 64/36 ), then it is up to me, to go through the rigmarole, or decline the sale.

Cheryl

==================

www.kateboats.co.uk

==================

Can I just say, I've nothing against kate boats, their boats actually look some of the best hirers I've seen.

It was just a bad bit of fuel , all done n dusted.

written in haste while cruising ;)

it was intended as a reply as i read your post to mean you only did 60/40 split to keep it simple. if you decline to serve a customer because they are pedantic i would do exactly the same, but the point i was making that to only accept a 60/40 is only collecting exrta tax when it`s not necessary. surely this is unfair. of course at the end of the day it`s your business and it`s not for me or anyone else for that matter to tell you how to run it. running a business of any sort can be difficult and i can understand you wanting to defend your reputation if the original post is incorrect and you have my sympathies if that`s the case. however, i still stand by by what i stated it`s not difficult to have a formula as you have now proved. no disrespect was intended by what i stated, just that i can`t see why some people do it as it means loss of trade in most cases.

di

not sure if you meant me, but seeing as your reply is straight after my post...

For the avoidnce of doubt, I do sell at any split that the customer wishes to declare.. I have a few regular splits worked out, and have corresponding declaration sheets, to ease the process. Were a customer to decide on wanting a pedantic split ( say, 64/36 ), then it is up to me, to go through the rigmarole, or decline the sale.

I would suspect that if it takes a cashier an extra 3 minutes at the end of a diesel sale to fill in some more forms, that is the profit on the sale gone. I can fully understand the dealers who will only sell at a fixed split.

The split is a contentious issue, and will be untill the powers that be decide that it is not worth the trouble, and we switch to white diesel.

I'd just like to put in a shout for the opposing point of view ---- that it will be contentious until they scrap the sorry idea and we go back to flat rate, proper priced red !

Mike.

I'd just like to put in a shout for the opposing point of view ---- that it will be contentious until they scrap the sorry idea and we go back to flat rate, proper priced red !

Mike.

There's no way we can go back to Red unless European law changes, that's highly unlikely, so it's more likely to end up white only.