combi inverters

jockwalt

Featured Posts

Mastervolt. But seperates are better than a combi.

But you may need to know how to wire up a changeover switch. Depends how neat & easy you want to make it. Some folk manually plug their AC distribution system into one AC source or the other.

That's the advantage of Combi's the AC changeover is built in & automatic. I still think the Sterling's Combi's, quasi or pure sine wave are the best value.

I'm guessing if one part goes down the other is not available while it's fixed...

a bit like a washer dryer...

Well possibly, but aim sure there are plenty of failure modes that could take one element out and leave the other functioning. In any case, they are fairly reliable. Having 1 unit means only 1 set of high current cables to the battery (ie an easier installation) and the two bits can "talk to each other" ie charger can throttle down a bit to prevent total power drain exceeding shore power limit with high ac power load on the boat. Even with Masterbus, I am not sure that separates talk to each other like that. I have and would have again a combi.

ETA the reliability issue maybe depends on whether liveaboard or holiday boat.

Edited by nicknorman

But you may need to know how to wire up a changeover switch. Depends how neat & easy you want to make it. Some folk manually plug their AC distribution system into one AC source or the other.

That's the advantage of Combi's the AC changeover is built in & automatic. I still think the Sterling's Combi's, quasi or pure sine wave are the best value.

My last boat had seperate mastervolt units. Awesome bits of kit never twitched great surge capacity on the inverter fans never came on simply superb.

Present boat has pure sine stirling combi because thats what it came with mmmmmmmm we shall see :)

My vote goes to Victron, great equipment.

The Victron we have is / has been faultless in 2.5 years (12/3000/120/16)..

One feature I didn't realise would be so useful is that when on the shore power ( only 5 amps) and a load of e.g 2000 watts is required, the user-preset max draw ( e.g. at 4.5 amps)

prevents more than 4.5 amps being drawn off the shore line, (and it tripping out) and the difference needed is taken from the battery bank, or the engine's alternator if that is running.

Superb system... would buy again... and all in one tidy box.

Nick

One feature I didn't realise would be so useful is that when on the shore power ( only 5 amps) and a load of e.g 2000 watts is required, the user-preset max draw ( e.g. at 4.5 amps)

prevents more than 4.5 amps being drawn off the shore line, (and it tripping out) and the difference needed is taken from the battery bank, or the engine's alternator if that is running.

Nick

Agree with that, I will definitely get Victron again. Not cheap but a lot better than the Stirling that was on before.

Seperates are more efficient ( Look at the figures )

'fraid not.

and if one goes down you lose the other whilst its fixed.

True. Depending upon the installation that can be a major advantage. Though in truth, if it's so inconventient and impossible to live without something you should have a backup anyway.

Further, a combi is cheaper to buy and easier and cheaper to install.

Don't like the idea of a box of tricks doing more than one thing at once, like having a toaster that will also fry fish. Does not add up in my mind. Can and do recommend Sterling; does what it says on the box, as seperate units. (Stay away from quasi sine wave; mains electrical kit is designed to run on pure sine wave so why make life difficult). Have some Mastervolt stuff that I am very pleased with, but have no experience of their combi unit.

Personally would not go for Victron; have just got back to the boat after a few days away and have been asked about how to fix a Victron problem on both boats from both friends. Am not an engineer but hopefully pointed them in the right direction. Would not use Victron out of personnel choice only.

If doing a new fit, refit or retro fit would use Sterling. Opinions and thoughts for what they are worth.

Don't like the idea of a box of tricks doing more than one thing at once,

How about a boat ? Fairly "boxy"....

- Gets you from 'A' to 'B'

- Charges batteries

- Protects you

- Keeps you warm

- Lets you travel on top of water

etc etc

Computer...

Stores files, downloads things, runs (many) programs simultaneously, charges your phone, sends and receives mail, browses the web..............

Lots of very complicated "boxes" multitask with little or no problems and the advantages include they are designed to work with each other in harmony ( most of the time) and usually take up less space than the sum of the separates...

Nick smile.gif

How about a boat ? Fairly "boxy"....

Computer...

I don't even know where to start with the multitude of tasks Mrs Gibbo performs.

Lots of very complicated "boxes" multitask with little or no problems and the advantages include they are designed to work with each other in harmony ( most of the time) and usually take up less space than the sum of the separates...

Cleaner, chef, pet feeder, step mother, best mate, lover, hooker...

Nick

I have the Victron, another benefit is that it can also charge the seperate starter battery (at a reduced ampage), but mine wasn't setup to do so, I wonder if many owners are also unaware that it can do so but it's not setup?

I have the Victron, another benefit is that it can also charge the seperate starter battery (at a reduced ampage), but mine wasn't setup to do so, I wonder if many owners are also unaware that it can do so but it's not setup?

Mastervolt combi has the same feature