Winding at Judes Ferry

Neil@CanalVoyagers

Featured Posts

Can anyone say with confidence that I can wind a pair of narrow boats at Judes Ferry? I've searched the forum and heard mixed reports from boaters leaving me a bit confused - if I need to use the mouth of the slipway to wind, is it wide enough to wind breasted up? Don't want to go up the wiggly bit and have to reverse back to Isleham lock!

I went there last year. I can definitely confirm that you can wind a full-length narrowboat there in the mouth of the slipway very easily, also that you could easily wind a pair there singly (ie both boats, one at a time). I cannot swear that you could wind them while breasted up, but I am about 80% sure that you could. There is plenty of good mooring just above the winding point.

I went there last year. I can definitely confirm that you can wind a full-length narrowboat there in the mouth of the slipway very easily, also that you could easily wind a pair there singly (ie both boats, one at a time). I cannot swear that you could wind them while breasted up, but I am about 80% sure that you could. There is plenty of good mooring just above the winding point.

We have winded Fulbourne there. I can't recall any particular problem.

David

My boat is 50' long and I can just wind without using the slipway.

I am moored at isleham marina and know several people there that have turned longer boats(presumably using slipway).

If you have to wind will breasted up and need to use the slipway I think you will struggle, but obviously that depends on the length of the boats.

It's a lovely stretch of river from isleham lock to the ferry though :)