wet rooms

Featured Posts

Anyone any ideas on a wetroom style shower and toilet room

I know some people have done it successfully, but I think expanding the wet area to cover the entire bathroom may also expand the possibilities for leaks especially given the dynamic nature of a boat and inherent thermal expansion and contraction. If you want something modern, why not just have a nice glass quadrant shower and ceramic pedestal and contain the water within a product designed and manufactured for that purpose - instead of giving yourself the headache of trying to contain and drain water from an entire room that you have to design and make yourself?

P1000295-1.jpg

The lining inside the shower walls is tile-effect plastic sheets as real tiles are more susceptible to leaks. The rest of the bathroom is tiled.

Edit: By the way, welcome to the forum.

Edited by blackrose

Anyone any ideas on a wetroom style shower and toilet room

I'm doing the same, as long as your tank the room to make it water proof and concentrate on the corners where it's going to flex the most I don't see why a wet room won't work on a boat.

We considered a wet room, but after much investigation and ponderance we decided not to.

The main reason being the only way to confidently ensure no leaks would need some kind of tray the size of the room rising at least 2 inches all the way around, like a massive shower tray. Then you need to design it to ensure a decent run off to the drain plug usually central in a wet room.

We looked at rubber plastic and fibreglass as a security base which then could be tiled, unfortunately the cost to get something like this made just wasn't worth the hassle.

I was pretty confident I could make my own, but talking to my brother who's an engineer and taking into account movement on a boat and the way certain materials deteriorate we eventually decided not to do it.

The clincher to this decision was what if a leak did occur????? well I wouldn't like to have to rip it all up again to find a leak or fix it.

We eventually went for a double shower stone ceramic tray, I double boarded the walls all around the shower with 18mm ply screwed and bonded together and also doubled the battening it was affixed to, we still ended up with a small crack in a top corner and the grout where the tiles meets the shower tray is slightly cracked most the way around which has now been sealed with appropriate sealer. Ok it hasn't leaked as such but undertaking this or a full room would be difficult to achieve leak free area for a sustained period, but of course not impossible.

Surely if you did have a 2 inch tray as the floor of the room you'd have to step into it from the corridor as well? I can just see that being great for a toe stub or two in the middle of the night!

Well one inch then LOL

You could design it so the doorway is on the side of the room with the highest point. Yo need to slope the floor to the drain, if you do this correctly then not much water will reach the outer edges of the room or any prolonged period so massively reducing the risk of leaks at the edges, of course this doesn't account for condensation that runs down the walls. Problem is depending on the size of the room If you construct the floor in ply wood you need to support all the slopes, otherwise it will flex when walked on. Could get away with that if you used some kind of flexible waterproof flooring, but ideally no flexing at all if you want to use tiles. Tiles though then present another problem as when laid on a sloping floor on four sides you'll have to cut loads of tiles where the seams of the slope join, bit like tiling an over flattened pyramid. You'll even have problems with rubber, one sheet won't do it unless stretched on to the floor toward the centre drain.

It's a lot more problematic than people think, in a house you can form the floor in concrete with no seams and get away with mosaic tiling.

If you have a drain centrally you need to get under the floor to access it for fitting or repair blockage etc.

Would the water still need to be pumped out like on my boat shower as well or would the gravity in such a set up be enough? I know my pump needs fixing/replacing at the moment so is runing really slow meaning that water can be sat in the tray for quite a while (not good if the tray is the whole floor of the bathroom) and where would you put such a pump? and what about if you got a blockage somewhere in the pipes you'd have to rip half the floor up?

Right think i've just about talked myself out of ever having a wet room on a boat. lol :)

Would the water still need to be pumped out like on my boat shower as well or would the gravity in such a set up be enough? I know my pump needs fixing/replacing at the moment so is runing really slow meaning that water can be sat in the tray for quite a while (not good if the tray is the whole floor of the bathroom) and where would you put such a pump? and what about if you got a blockage somewhere in the pipes you'd have to rip half the floor up?

Right think i've just about talked myself out of ever having a wet room on a boat. lol :)

The pump isn't really the problem, if you have a shower fitted you'll need a pump under the boat floor anyway. Same with a bath.

What are the advantages of a wet room exactly? :unsure:

You don't bump your elbows on the shower door or get the curtain stuck to your bum but you might have to wear wellies to have a wee.

The pump isn't really the problem, if you have a shower fitted you'll need a pump under the boat floor anyway. Same with a bath.

The pump for my shower is at the bottom of the cupboard next to the shower so the pipe doesn't go under the floor at all.

What are the advantages of a wet room exactly? :unsure:

The reason I wanted one was due to my size, I have a 58 inch chest and currently overweight LOL I can't move in a standard cubical, even with our double shower I have to stand sideways to wash. Other than that not much advantage at all, in fact they produce lots of condensation and can get everything wet in a small wet room leaving moisture every where unless you towel everything off. They are very useful for people with disabilities though.