saying hallo

gregg62

Featured Posts

hi, have been onboard for 5 weeks now , and i am haveing fun , picked up boat blisworth now langley ,, what i have noticed is that everybody is very friendly and help full ,,,, apart from boaters that do not move and pay for mooring ,,, whent past some at marsworth and cowroast ,, can some one please explain why ??????? some of them look away ,,, what have i done or what do they think i am going to do ,, i cant work it out , any way :cheers: to every one

Edited by gregg62

Can some one please explain why ??????? some of them look away ,,, what have i done or what do they think i am going to do

They are just people doing what people do, be friendly to all and if they snub you that is their problem, not yours.

hi, have been onboard for 5 weeks now , and i am haveing fun , picked up boat blisworth now langley ,, what i have noticed is that everybody is very friendly and help full ,,,, apart from boaters that do not move and pay for mooring ,,, whent past some at marsworth and cowroast ,, can some one please explain why ??????? some of them look away ,,, what have i done or what do they think i am going to do ,, i cant work it out , any way :cheers: to every one

Do not worry about it, they are not neccessarily being unfriendly, and probably only acknowledge people they already know. If you think about it, if they live on their boat, it must get a bit tedious sayng hello to every boat that passes.

Some say having a boat is like having a dog, ie it is a licence to talk to perfect strangers. I find about 1 in 10 dog owners don't return my greetings, and it's about the same with boat owners. People are the same on water as on dry land.

Not many people realise what their "default" expression is and some can come across as rude even though they think they have acknowledged you.

I'm frequently accused of looking worried, though having a 30 year old boat it is often true.

Could it be that they thought you were going fast??:blush:

Alex

Could it be that they thought you were going fast??:blush:

Alex

Any speed is too fast for some at Marsworth! It's where the slow down brigade start, I'd come all the way from Liverpool without a problem (many happy people waving as I go past)*, and then got two complaints before getting up the locks!

Welcome to "London".

Mike

<edit>* they were waving to me, not at me! :lol:

Edited by mykaskin

if i was going to fast only those that dont move and pay thought so ,, every one else so all smiles,,

...............apart from boaters that do not move and pay for mooring ,,, whent past some at marsworth and cowroast ,,.....................

if i was going to fast only those that dont move and pay thought so ,, every one else so all smiles,,

You don't exactly sound like you are local to the area, are you ? (I am.....).

Are you that familiar with the boats or their owners, that you can say who is moving and/or paying ?..............

We moor very close to Marsworth, (just a bit further up), and perhaps I'm not qualified to speak, as we pay rather a lot for the privilege, but I have not found boaters at Maffers or Cow Roast any less friendly than others on the stretch. In fact the moorers on the BW moorings at Cow Roast are amongst the friendliest I know.

We will be bringing a boat back to Cow Roast this weekend, so I'll see if the situation has deteriorated since I last passed through the locks, and up on to the summit......