A myth blown out of the canal

Burgiesburnin

Featured Posts

I have seen posts here that refer to hirers in a derogatory way. Most likely they come from owners who have little knowledge or ability. Generally, it seems that the more experienced the boater, the more tolerant they are of the 'improver'. Personally, I am tolerant of hire boats but I do get a bit angry when private owners think that because their boat cost more than mine my handling skills are inferior to theirs.

It is the hire companies, not the hirers who are responsible. I have instructed a crew on how to use a lock - after they told the hirer they had a lot of experience on The Broads they were sent off with no instruction. Passing a large hire base a boat pulled out in front of us (required reverse gear to avoid a collision), when we entered the next lock with them it was obvious that seven out of the eight (male) crew had consumed a lot of beer - one wielded a pole in a fashion that gave us fear for our windows. The hirer's response: "We told them that they are legally liable".

These, and a few other incidents, are the low spots of twenty years of hiring, fifteen years of 'ownership' and thousands of 'lock-miles'. Before taking to the canals I had a fair bit of boating experience but I am still learning.

@Fuzzyduck: +1! Let's all do our best to ensure that the hirers (especially the Colonials!;-) have the best possible experience.

@OP: Clearly you prepared for your adventure, unlike many who buy a boat. Thank you for your positive post.

Alan

@OP: Clearly you prepared for your adventure, unlike many who buy a boat. Thank you for your positive post.

Alan

This will be our third narrowboat cruise, just a pity there are so many miles between us and the canals as we would love to do it more often. We have met so many friendly and interesting people on the canals and love the lifestyle.

being fair to hirers there are different kinds of hirers... primarily 2 I believe.

1. knows everything about everything and will refuse any advice or assistance from anyone and naturally screw it up themselves.

2. is willing to learn what is what on the canals and will accept advice and assistance from more experienced individuals thus causing less chaos to make everyone's time on the canal by far more enjoyable!!!

kind 2 I get along with the most as listening to others is just as important as having fun!!!

by the sounds of it Burgiesburnin... you are kind 2... so you will always be welcome again!

being fair to hirers boaters there are different kinds of hirers boaters... primarily 2 I believe.

1. knows everything about everything and will refuse any advice or assistance from anyone and naturally screw it up themselves.

2. is willing to learn what is what on the canals and will accept advice and assistance from more experienced individuals thus causing less chaos to make everyone's time on the canal by far more enjoyable!!!

kind 2 I get along with the most as listening to others is just as important as having fun!!!

by the sounds of it Burgiesburnin... you are kind 2... so you will always be welcome again!

I've corrected your excellent posting

Richard

• Greenie 2

Is it worth noting that in my experience the vast majority of boats that you encounter actually moving are hirers. So If you've got a problem with hirers, it's probably best to stay put. Which a lot of boat owners do. So all is well with the world.

... and lets face it they're the privateer of tomorrow.

Lawks a lawdy! People are issuing letters of marque on the canals now? I'm definitely hiding on my mooring...

hat one really always has been a myth

It's only South Africans we are not happy about

Richard

Oh... :blush:

Not South African at all! However, I conceed that its my fault that you thought that and will update my profile or rather, complete one. My details and location will still read as they are however as thats what the site asks for.

Not South African at all! However, I conceed that its my fault that you thought that and will update my profile or rather, complete one. My details and location will still read as they are however as thats what the site asks for.

I doubt that you actually have to fill those fields in at all. If you have a look at some of the other posters stuff, a lot of data is missing

Richard

I've heard the same said about hirers - and will be looking out for evidence of any difference between the way hirers and owners are treated this summer.

Circe and I have just bought a boat, and in a few weeks we will bring it 100+ miles to its new mooring. Then we will all pile aboard the hire boat we booked (long before we planned to buy a boat) for a ten day saunter around those soft Southern parts we have been hearing so much about. Then we'll be back on our own boat again.

The main difference between our own boat and the hire boat is about 5 feet of length and the rather obvious hire company livery. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is any difference in the way people are treated.

I've heard the same said about hirers - and will be looking out for evidence of any difference between the way hirers and owners are treated this summer.

Circe and I have just bought a boat, and in a few weeks we will bring it 100+ miles to its new mooring. Then we will all pile aboard the hire boat we booked (long before we planned to buy a boat) for a ten day saunter around those soft Southern parts we have been hearing so much about. Then we'll be back on our own boat again.

The main difference between our own boat and the hire boat is about 5 feet of length and the rather obvious hire company livery. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is any difference in the way people are treated.

Some of our most enjoyable passages involving double locks have been in the company of hirers - on one occasion, we lashed the hire boat alongside 'Alnwick' so that only one member of the combined team needed to be concerned with steering while everyone else worked the locks, I think that still stands as a record ascending the Buckby flight (for us), although we did get a very funny look from a boat coming down.

I have also experienced the worst type of boater: Once, when waiting to go down Calcutt Locks I went forward to assist a couple who were out with hire craft - after going down the first two locks nicely we met a boat owner who proceeded to lecture us all, in a very schoolmasterly fashion, on the correct way to operate the locks - he had made the false assumption that none of us had any knowledge, training or experience! The following morning we caught up with another hire boat and shared locks with them from Stockton onwards - it turned out that although the couple were enjoying their first canal holiday on the GU, the male partner (an American) was a 'Master Mariner' who had commanded all manner of craft during his service with the US Navy and now ran a company providing small sea going boats to service oil rigs all over the world! His boat handling skills were superb and we made excellent progress together, starting from Stockton Top and finishing the day with a drink at the 'Tom-of-Wood' pub - having managed 18 miles and 43 locks in under ten hours! Afterwards I amused myself by imagining how foolish it would have been for anyone to 'lecture' this particular hirer on boating techniques. The real message here is that it pays to treat all boaters with respect because you cannot judge their skills, knowledge or experience by the type of boat they have - be it a hire boat, a shiny boat or a scruffy boat like ours . . .

On our trip to Hatton Top Lock last week we came down the Stockton Locks and all the subsequent ones to Radford Semele with a Swedish family in a "Kate" boat.

What a terrific family they were, all spoke beautiful English and we had a tremendous time. (Passed Alnwick somewhere around the two pubs at Stockton, but no one was on board)

When we stopped for the night at Radford they carried on.

As we were passing Kate Boats at Nelson Lane a boat following us stopped at Kate Boats and at the time I thought nothing more of it. Passed through Cape bottom lock alone. We then went into Cape top lock, got half way up and Mrs T noticed a boat coming At this time I was approached by a lady from a Valley Cruiser, at the water point who suggested to me that I would save water if I had waited for this other boat!

I did mention to her that we anticipated stopping for water. We emptied the lock and waited for the other boat. It was a couple named Roger and Pat in (boat name to be inserted). As we passed the lady in the Valley Cruiser boat she said "Aren't you stopping for water"? I mentioned to her that as Roger & Pat were also going up the Hatton Flight so we would be accompanying them to save water - I think the irony was lost.

On the way up the flight two sets boat crews turned two sepatate lock against us - both being ex "working boats" , one with a butty along side, heading for, I presume Braunston.

At the top the four of us had Champaigne and nibbles to celebrate us popping our Hatton cherry.

On the way down the flight I inadvertently turned a lock against a single hander. For some reason I thought he was further away than he was? He made his feelings known and I duley appologised and felt so guilty I worked this lock for him so he could stay on his boat.

So as ever in all walks of life "there is nowt so queer as folk".

Edited by Ray T

The real message here is that it pays to treat all boaters with respect because you cannot judge their skills, knowledge or experience by the type of boat they have - be it a hire boat, a shiny boat or a scruffy boat like ours . . .

Actually I treat all boaters with respect, because that is the way I wish to be treated by them, not to save face. It matters not a jot their level of skill percieved or otherwise.

• Greenie 2

On the way down the flight I inadvertently turned a lock against a single hander. For some reason I thought he was further away than he was? He made his feelings known and I duley appologised and felt so guilty I worked this lock for him so he could stay on his boat.

It's funny the number of people who have sight problems when encountering single handers.

I dont mind it when the both gates are shut & they get there first cos thats a 'free open' for me and there might be a 'free shut' by someone following them as well but the ones that actually shut the gate that's either been left open for me by the better sighted people in front of them or one that I've actually opened myself do get a piece of my mind.

Actually I treat all boaters with respect, because that is the way I wish to be treated by them, not to save face. It matters not a jot their level of skill percieved or otherwise.

have a greenie

Three weeks ago I was single handing Hatton. I'd done the first three locks (going up) and was in the fourth when a lad comes running up asking if they could share the lock - well, gift horses and all that! So a hire boat arrives, Mr driving and Mrs and Son working the locks. I felt quite bad about this as I know what a burden a single hander can be on a small crew. I explained that I would hold them up and make extra work for them, they would have none of it and insisted on taking me with them. The beer at the top was a small price to pay, there are lots of great people around.

being fair to hirers there are different kinds of hirers... primarily 2 I believe.

We find the vast majority are type 2 but the odd type one really can be annoying.

Take our recent trip when we tried to get a hire boat coming out of a lock to go quick due to a lack of room below and a cross flow. After repeated waves and yells he still crawled out and then had to slam the power on - meanwhile the silly cow up the front well of his boat told us to 'be quiet you silly people - my husband has been boating for 4 days and just because you do things wrong does not mean we will'. (A lady on a following boat confirmed madame knew it all and spent all her time issuing mostly wrong orders to all around.)

On the same trip we arrived to buy fuel at a marina with a large wharf to pull in at only to find a massive hire boat right in the middle. Not only that, as we started pulling in on the bit left they started pulling back as their water hose would not reach. Finally sort of fitting in we found the other end of the boat from the water hose filler (and the cut) was being filled with fuel by the crew of the hire boat. They were Australians - we assume they were a load of middle aged desk pushers playing at being uncouth Australians as they all had large hats long hair and yelled orders to each other. We waited for them to finish as they were uninterested in us as they ordered each other about. Finally they finished fueling and watering and started washing the boat with the hose - this included the fuel covered back deck with the water spraying over our back end at which point they threw the hose down (a wife had switched it off), chucked the mooring lines on and slammed the throttle down to leave at full speed - which caused the pin we had put in (no bollard near our back end) to come out of the ground. All we got from them in chat was they had emptied the fuel tank on a two week trip and were heading back to bvase to catch a flight to Greece. With the riots they should fit right in. (We wondered what split they had paid for.)

Edited by Tiny

Most of what we know about boathandling we learned from very friendly boatowners who showed us, hirers, how to do things, from using the right knots to boating in strong winds and took us with them through the locks.

Almost everyone was very friendly and happy to share their knowledge. We met the occasional boater with a very shiny new boat who was afraid of scratches on the paint, well, you just smile and say hello.

The only time people were rude to us was when they thougt we were German, when we explained that we are Dutch they turned like a leaf and we shared quite a few locks with them and ended up having tea together.

Hahahahahaha Germans, yes them.Its the war you know :blink: