Is It Me!

Mick and Maggie

Featured Posts

Can someone clarify for me if threads are being deleted. I say this because we all know that topics can be hijacked by others and inappropriate content be posted. However, deleting the whole thread rather than the offending content seems to me to be far too draconian.

What happened to the "Be wary of mooring at Tinsley" thread for instance?

MandM

Can someone clarify for me if threads are being deleted. I say this because we all know that topics can be hijacked by others and inappropriate content be posted. However, deleting the whole thread rather than the offending content seems to me to be far too draconian.

MandM

sorry but im new to these forums but you said to be wary of mooring at tinsley well were doing an overnight cruise at the end of july i think can you tell me what we should be wary of we operate on the south yorkshire and we are based at swinton lock thanks adam

MandM

Naaaaah have you not worked it out yet ? If the thread is not about " So called " working boats " As in 50 plus years ago " or totaly PC then it has to be deleted..... ;)

MandM

Now, having watched that thread, most of it was OK but the member who originated it by complaining about Tinsley had his account suspended. If the original post is flawed, can the rest of the thread stand?

Richard

i dont know about being deleted but i wanted to know whats wrong with it up at tinsley thats all

From all the posters beside the guy who started it, nothing at all is wrong with Tinsley

Richard

If the original post is flawed, can the rest of the thread stand?

Yes, if the subsequent postings correct any inaccuracy or damn lies for instance.

It seems to me that if I disagree with a point being made by someone in a posting. Then if I go way over the top in a reply, thus resulting in the thread being deleted - that's a form of back door censorship. I thought it would be better just to edit the offending content.

Yes, if the subsequent postings correct any inaccuracy or damn lies for instance.

It seems to me that if I disagree with a point being made by someone in a posting. Then if I go way over the top in a reply, thus resulting in the thread being deleted - that's a form of back door censorship. I thought it would be better just to edit the offending content.

So you would have a thread of people vehemently denying a post that no longer exists. In fact, as the original post was apparently untrue, it would merely raise unfounded suspicions.

Adam's posts in this thread seem to confirm that

Richard

sorry but im new to these forums but you said to be wary of mooring at tinsley well were doing an overnight cruise at the end of july i think can you tell me what we should be wary of we operate on the south yorkshire and we are based at swinton lock thanks adam

The marina is blessed by an excellent well tended green space in what is essentially a very desirable mooring area, if only for the nearby facilities. Never mind the excellent quality of moorings. Tinsley marina is a well kept secret. There is easy access to facilities such as, Sheffield Supertram which gives access around the city and into the Meadowhall Shopping Complex. There are Supermarkets, Pet shops, various food outlets, craft shops, Ten pin bowling, Cinema complex, Football stadium, the Sheffield Arena, a plethora of pubs, boat spares, and much much more. And all are in easy walking distance.

So you would have a thread of people vehemently denying a post that no longer exists.

I suggested editing out the "offending content" (content which breaches any acceptable use guidelines) Which is different to someone puporting a misconception which is then corrected in the subsequent posting(s). Any issue on the forum will have supporters and objectors. Deleting all content is too draconian.

If the postings had been left, would Adam be asking the question?

I'd assumed that this thread was about DeanS's thread about a burnt out boat at Tinsley, but I've just checked and that one hasn't been deleted.

Have I missed something this evening whilst supping with family?

MandM

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38728&pid=705628&st=0entry705628

is this the missing thread?

<snip>

I suggested editing out the "offending content" (content which breaches any acceptable use guidelines) Which is different to someone puporting a misconception which is then corrected in the subsequent posting(s). Any issue on the forum will have supporters and objectors. Deleting all content is too draconian.

If the postings had been left, would Adam be asking the question?

The "offending content" was the very first post, the only post that had anything negative to say about Tinsley. I believe it was removed because the OP had made just one post as a new user using a duplicate identity. This was the breach of forum rules.

Adam is asking questions because you mentioned problems with Tinsley in your first post in this thread.

I wonder what would happen if I launched a thread called "Be wary of mooring at Hatton" that only contained posts vehemently denying there were any problems with the moorings at Hatton?

Richard

No

Richard

I'd assumed that this thread was about DeanS's thread about a burnt out boat at Tinsley, but I've just checked and that one hasn't been deleted.

Have I missed something this evening whilst supping with family?

I didn't spot when the thread went missing, although I raised suspicions about the thread because of the quantity of new users making single posts in it. I suspected something odd going on to do with duplicate identities.

Richard

I didn't spot when the thread went missing, although I raised suspicions about the thread because of the quantity of new users making single posts in it. I suspected something odd going on to do with duplicate identities.

Richard

Ah ok - one that I completely missed then.

Bugger I hate it when that happens!!

The "offending content" was the very first post, the only post that had anything negative to say about Tinsley. I believe it was removed because the OP had made just one post as a new user using a duplicate identity. This was the breach of forum rules.

So the multiple identities was the issue and not the negativity of the posting. I did not agree with the OP and said so at the time. I would have enjoyed correcting the misconceptions being purported by the individual. I was drawn back to the posting by other misguided comments passed at the Marina today. I wanted to demonstrate to an individual what was in his words being "bandied around on CWF" was not true. The fact that the detail was no longer there to support what I was saying, seemed to please the detractor no end.

I still think deleting the whole content was too draconian when a bit of editing of the OP would have solved the issue of multiple personalities.

Thanks for the clarification.

I would guess it disappeared a couple of days ago

Richard

Aha - that's why I missed it!

I was still recovering from the Lapworth banter and suffering the rubbish internet connection I had there which made me decide that sleeping was a far easier option than fighting the internet.

I've never experienced "problem loading page" so often in such a short period of time!

Adam,

Like Mick & Maggie said Tinsley marina is Sheffield's best kept secret :-) the original post caused a hell of a stir verging on outrage , the result being that canalworld has a few extra members myself included.

I came on to defend Tinsley and I have stayed :cheers: so to a degree I am grateful to the boater with no regrets, I certainly do not have any. I'm also happy that the post was removed as mud sticks regardless of truth.

Thanks guys

Be wary of slowing down for all the fisherman that might make you 15mins late for the lock-keeper. It's unforgiveable, even though we offered him sweets as a peace offering.

Just to answer the original question - each topic hangs on the first post so if the first post is hidden, removed or deleted the whole topic will be invisible. Topics can be started and posts can be made only by members so if the author of the first post in a topic ceases to be legitimate (as a result of being deleted, suspended or banned) the result will be just the same as if that first post had been deleted.

There are workarounds that we can use to re-instate a topic without the original post but the time and effort required from the volunteer moderators means that it isn't often worth the effort.

While it might not seem worth the effort at this time, clearer and more transparent moderating would save time responding to all these endless threads asking why topics have been deleted! There seems to be a new one every time I log on.