hinged mattress

steveclarke

Featured Posts

do you want the mattress to fold up into half its size, or do you want the bed to hinge up out of the way?

after discounting all the expensive folding bed mechanisms I simply used an aluminium scaffold tube as a pivot, built into the bed frame so the bed hinges up to disappear into a cupboard space, and hinges down so the outer edges rest on a pair of moveable storage boxes. Once you get the geometry right it's easy. In my case the 1200mm wide mattress hinges sideways, but it could easily hinge up lengthways if you have 1900mm headroom.

do you want the mattress to fold up into half its size, or do you want the bed to hinge up out of the way?

after discounting all the expensive folding bed mechanisms I simply used an aluminium scaffold tube as a pivot, built into the bed frame so the bed hinges up to disappear into a cupboard space, and hinges down so the outer edges rest on a pair of moveable storage boxes. Once you get the geometry right it's easy. In my case the 1200mm wide mattress hinges sideways, but it could easily hinge up lengthways if you have 1900mm headroom.

thanks for that.. i'm having one made for me, that hinges to fold to half it's size.. (the words simply and build never go together to me!) Where did you get your mattress made up? and would you recommend them? thanks again, Steve

thanks for that.. i'm having one made for me, that hinges to fold to half it's size.. (the words simply and build never go together to me!) Where did you get your mattress made up? and would you recommend them? thanks again, Steve

my mattress doesn't fold up, it hinges up out of the way in one piece. it is a standard mattress.

any chance of a piccy of workings cheers

if you follow my first post the design principles are clear.

the design decisions are intuitive and progressive.

1900 x 1200 sheet of ply.

surrounding frame.

bed slats trapping the scaffold tube.

1900 x 1200 mattress.

scaffold tube height and lateral position fixed by the other geometry requirements.

hinge down: the inner edge of the mattress is close to the bulkhead

hinge up: the mattress and bedding is within the enclosure without wasting space.

straps retain mattress and bedding in the hinged away position.

We had a bespoke mattress made for us using memory foam which is not only a very comfortable mattress but bed bug free and very easy to get made to measure, they can make any size so you can buy 2 blocks to make a double and have the cover made for them that creates it's own hinge in fabric or add a zip together edge which are both almost seamless but foldable, a very cost effective way of solving the problem.

I think we ordered from here

http://www.memory-foammattress.co.uk/product/made-to-measure.html

There are a few companies about that will cut to size though so shopping around might pay. Go for a minimum 2 inch thickness of memory foam IMO this will be bonded to standard foam to make the mattress any thickness you desire. If you like a soft mattress go for low to medium density memory foam bonded to the same in standard foam, if you like a firmer mattress then use high density.

Screwfix do a specific "foam" blade for a jigsaw, I cut a standard, fairly cheap (bargain bin at Ikea) Memory foam mattress down myself. Worked really well, just needed to make up the cover again with a bit of extra material afterwards.

Lee

Do the memory foam beds become a little 'sweaty' on warm nights?

I can't sleep on them, for that reason.

I think it depends on how you sleep because the person who benefited from my hating of the things loves the one I gave him.