Heating and cooking on your boat?

Honest Jim

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

We have just joined your excellent community.

We are about to commission the build of our new narrowboat. Whilst we haven't had a boat of this type before, we have been doing our research.

To cut to the chase, we submitted a blog at the following address, which we want to have discussion on; please visit:http://vintageorheritage.blogspot.com/2011/06/vintage-or-heritage.html

I hope I have typed it correctly! Any problems please let me know at honestjimjones@gmail.com

Hoping to hear from you soon

Honest Jim

Why gas-free?

Bad idea for a liveaboard or winter use. Diesel stove for cooking will probably need help from an sf stove for heating. Pricey.

If it's a holiday boat, you'll boil in the boat when cooking in summer.

So, don't do it (liveaboard) or don't bother with cooking (holiday boat).

Unless there's a very good reason to avoid gas, it's a terrible idea.

IMO, obv.

As this is a discussion forum can't we have the discussion here?

IMO, obv.

Having lived aboard for over 10 years, without gas, and without freezing in winter or boiling in summer, I don't see why it's so terrible.

Why gas-free?

Bad idea for a liveaboard or winter use. Diesel stove for cooking will probably need help from an sf stove for heating. Pricey.

IMO, obv.

Each to their own.

We had our boat built to use one fuel -- diesel. Wallas oven & hob, Lockgate stove, Mikuni central heating.

It may not be to everyone's taste but hey ho, it suits us ---- we even had one mooring where we were topped up by a fuel boat whether we were there or not.

Why gas-free?

IMO, obv.

Its a wind up .......everyone knows gas has no alternative.............

As this is a discussion forum can't we have the discussion here?

Having lived aboard for over 10 years, without gas, and without freezing in winter or boiling in summer, I don't see why it's so terrible.

The size of the disel tanks and quality of insulation on a narrowboat I think. I can see why gas would be a bigger risk in a wooden sea-going vessel, but on a narrowboat I think it stacks up very differently.

In summer, you either cook on a stove and heat the whole boat, or with electricity when the engine/generator is running. Both a bit crap.

If you're cooking with diesel, you will need massive tanks (and space for them) or lots of solar for leccy. Diesel stoves are mre expensive to run than solid fuel ones, but solid fuel more limited for cooking. But you'll probably need one to supplement the diesel heating.

I am actually looking at the possibility of diesel cooking and heating to replace the solud fuel stove on the grounds that we're shit at dusting, but it would be with double-glazed casement windows (I need more light than portholes allow), solar panels and an LPG generator to rebalance the various fuel capacities.

Gas just isn't very risky on a steel ditch-crawler. I can't see how it is worth it.

If you are having an lpg genny, can't you simply use it to cook as well? (the gas, not the genny...)

Yeah, it would make virtually no difference. But we'd have a massive diesel range to replace the solid fuel stove, so no room for a gas cooker. Maybe some rings in summer.

The LPG genny is to minimise diesel use for leccy in winter, we'll need a second tank as it is.

Hi Guys

I must apologise for appearing to not present my case directly to forum. Truth is, I couldn't work out an efficient way of linking to my blog without spending a couple of minutes longhanding!

I am now going to longhand the original blog and if you will all allow me to start from this point I will be honoured......

Heating, hot water and cooking on your boat: Vintage or Heritage?

"Hi All

We have just caught our breath after attending a wonderful Crick Boat Show 2011.

Though we have not owned a boat of this type before, we like to think we know what we want!

We are planning a new boat build. We had decided quite a few details, large and small, before we visited Crick. We were always going to be "Gas-free", we were always going to have the boat built exclusively in the UK and we were always going to have a traditional, but modern range cooker on board to provide for all our heating, hot water and cooking! My wife is an avid chef! Running on diesel,the engine and cooker, that is!

Our boat will be a 70ft Northwich Trader replica. At Crick, we firmed up on most of the detail and spec. We have narrowed, forgive the pun, our choice of builder down to three, it's not all down to price. We have a reasonable working budget, we will make reasonable compromise where required or necessary but certain features of the fit-out will not be compromised. We shall tender our designs to our three build candidates and shall in a 'step-wise' manner build the boat spec layer by layer. It may be an unorthodox approach, but this is how I/We have always undertaken our major life projects. We feel we can get closer to our goal by working this way.

I digress; Heating and cooking on your boat!

As earlier stated, our unshakable choice with regards to heating and cooking is a proper Range cooker. Back to Crick! We went to Crick to see first hand all the products and materials/techniques we wanted for our boat. We saw Heritage of Cornwall, reasonable/good quality and has a favourable reputation in the marketplace. However, we felt the sales rep, though seemingly pleasant, was a little fuzzy/wooly on product knowledge and his understanding of installation requirements on narrowboats left a lot to be desired.

We then quite serendipitously, found Vintage Ranges. The designer and owner of Vintage,(the selfsame person) was there proudly exhibiting a Vintage 500 Duo, which was after the show going aboard a new build boat*. The Vintage certainly "Ticked all the boxes", for an appliance of just 500x680mmSQ, 2 big ovens, a huge hot plate and buit like the proverbial brick-tank; superb build quality and attention to detail, it was a revelation. And a great price too!

In truth we could have nearly bought a Heritage Uno. The Vintage man certainly knew his 'onions' and his obvious passion for his cookers was a refreshing experience for us to enjoy. Isn't lovely to meet the person who has sweated blood and cried tears for his art! He most assuredly made a lasting impression on us!

Funny thing, the Vintage man, John, was the founder and designer of the Heritage cooker and has with conspicuous delight, massively improved on his earlier designs. John explained that when he brought his Heritage cookers in to the narrowboat market in 2003, his aim was to always be 'gas-free', safety being foremost in his mind.

www.vintageranges.com If it sounds like we have made our choice, well yes, but we want to share our wisdom and gain any feedback you guys may have to impart.

Your Truly

Honest Jim *Just remembered, the boat the Vintage 500 duo is aboard is www.nbsiskin.com

It's certainly doable. But pay attention to insulation. And if you want big windows and hatches, make sure they are double-glazed and well sealed. Not needing a solid fuel stove is a big space and dust bonus, but diesel can struggle to compete with it.

We would use LPG for leccy and have as much solar as possible, rather than enlarge the existing diesel tank (which is already smaller than we need). You can make the tank huge, but bear in mind that balancing it with water at the front only works if they fill and empty at the same time and rate.

It's doable, especially if not a liveaboard and/or build and running costs are not tight. But you'll need to think how the systems are affected, and weigh up how important it is to you. Very few canal boats are gas free, and very few explode.

Gas just isn't very risky on a steel ditch-crawler. I can't see how it is worth it.

It may be steel hulled but it's full of plywood and timber which will go like the clappers and leave a blackened and distorted hull. Steel or wood it makes little difference.

It may be steel hulled but it's full of plywood and timber which will go like the clappers and leave a blackened and distorted hull. Steel or wood it makes little difference.

I was thinking more about the amount of stress put on pipework.

I'd expect our insurance to ask about gas if many boats blew up. IIRC they don't need to know, and at £150 for a £30k value, it can't be a big risk.

Edited by ymu

• 1 month later...

Hi All

We joined your excellent forum only 24 hours ago!

Very informative and superbly professional. I must make a plea of repentence to Lady Muck for my flaglant breech of the rules.

I am quite simply very zealous about my cookers! Apoligia.

Perchance, our son was exploring your forums and he happened upon the below post. Dare I say, it warmed my heart!

My wife checked our records and these people have just ordered one of our Vintage 500 Duo's!

Best Regards

John

Hi Guys

I must apologise for appearing to not present my case directly to forum. Truth is, I couldn't work out an efficient way of linking to my blog without spending a couple of minutes longhanding!

I am now going to longhand the original blog and if you will all allow me to start from this point I will be honoured......

"Hi All

We have just caught our breath after attending a wonderful Crick Boat Show 2011.

Though we have not owned a boat of this type before, we like to think we know what we want!

We are planning a new boat build. We had decided quite a few details, large and small, before we visited Crick. We were always going to be "Gas-free", we were always going to have the boat built exclusively in the UK and we were always going to have a traditional, but modern range cooker on board to provide for all our heating, hot water and cooking! My wife is an avid chef! Running on diesel,the engine and cooker, that is!

Our boat will be a 70ft Northwich Trader replica. At Crick, we firmed up on most of the detail and spec. We have narrowed, forgive the pun, our choice of builder down to three, it's not all down to price. We have a reasonable working budget, we will make reasonable compromise where required or necessary but certain features of the fit-out will not be compromised. We shall tender our designs to our three build candidates and shall in a 'step-wise' manner build the boat spec layer by layer. It may be an unorthodox approach, but this is how I/We have always undertaken our major life projects. We feel we can get closer to our goal by working this way.

As earlier stated, our unshakable choice with regards to heating and cooking is a proper Range cooker. Back to Crick! We went to Crick to see first hand all the products and materials/techniques we wanted for our boat. We saw Heritage of Cornwall, reasonable/good quality and has a favourable reputation in the marketplace. However, we felt the sales rep, though seemingly pleasant, was a little fuzzy/wooly on product knowledge and his understanding of installation requirements on narrowboats left a lot to be desired.

We then quite serendipitously, found Vintage Ranges. The designer and owner of Vintage,(the selfsame person) was there proudly exhibiting a Vintage 500 Duo, which was after the show going aboard a new build boat*. The Vintage certainly "Ticked all the boxes", for an appliance of just 500x680mmSQ, 2 big ovens, a huge hot plate and buit like the proverbial brick-tank; superb build quality and attention to detail, it was a revelation. And a great price too!

In truth we could have nearly bought a Heritage Uno. The Vintage man certainly knew his 'onions' and his obvious passion for his cookers was a refreshing experience for us to enjoy. Isn't lovely to meet the person who has sweated blood and cried tears for his art! He most assuredly made a lasting impression on us!

Funny thing, the Vintage man, John, was the founder and designer of the Heritage cooker and has with conspicuous delight, massively improved on his earlier designs. John explained that when he brought his Heritage cookers in to the narrowboat market in 2003, his aim was to always be 'gas-free', safety being foremost in his mind.

www.vintageranges.com If it sounds like we have made our choice, well yes, but we want to share our wisdom and gain any feedback you guys may have to impart.

Your Truly

Honest Jim *Just remembered, the boat the Vintage 500 duo is aboard is www.nbsiskin.com

Hi All

We joined your excellent forum only 24 hours ago!

Very informative and superbly professional. I must make a plea of repentence to Lady Muck for my flaglant breech of the rules.

I am quite simply very zealous about my cookers! Apoligia.

Perchance, our son was exploring your forums and he happened upon the below post. Dare I say, it warmed my heart!

My wife checked our records and these people have just ordered one of our Vintage 500 Duo's!

Best Regards

John

Hi Guys

"Hi All

Your Truly

Hi

Its pointless talking to designers or builders of anything they are always going to tell you their stuff is best. The first questions you should ask anyone who is telling you how good their boat stuff is this.

1/ How many years have you LIVED full time aboard a boat ?

2/ How many people have been killed by gas installations on boats ?

Know run along and buy the only option for your boat. Its called Gas.

:)

:smiley_offtopic:

Sorry, I was going to let this one go, but really!........

"Northwich Trader" is as far as I know a "brand" or "marketing" name of a modern boat type manufactured by R W Davies. Although RWD claim "all external lines to Yarwoods of Northwich 1930's design" nobody has ever been able to identify any Northwich boat actually ever constructed that they bear much resemblance to...... Hence it s not possible to call a Northwich Trader a "replica" because they are not replicating anything that existed.

So what on earth is a "Northwich Trader replica[", built by a choice of one of three different builders, (two of which, at least, by inference can't be R W Davies) ?

A replica of a modern boat type, that, despite it's builders claims, is not apparently anyway a close replica of any historic boat type ?

My brain spins when I read this kind of stuff!

I haven't looked at the spec but if your diesel system needs electric to run you need solar power. (maybe you have this) Running the engine to provide your electric is noisy. Have fun with your build but I hope you don't want to sell your boat.

Sue

So what on earth is a "Northwich Trader replica[", built by a choice of one of three different builders, (two of which, at least, by inference can't be R W Davies) ?

Not only but also... who are the other two builders in the frame? As has been said, this is a discussion forum, so let's discuss the relative merits of the builders that OP is considering. Especially as the OP has, by his own admission, no previous experience in this field.

It'll be good to ensure one of them isn't Ben harp, too ;)

Tony

... I couldn't work out an efficient way of linking to my blog without spending a couple of minutes longhanding!

1. Select the text in the blog

2. Press Ctrl + C

3. Open a new post here

4. Press Ctrl + V

Tony

Who is this vintage ranges poster? Spamity spam spam imo. Done nothing but promote himself (badly) since he got here.

If he want's to discuss the merits then fine, but doesn't seem interested in what anyone else has to say.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=14129

(just to be clear, this is not directed at honest jim)

(just to be clear, this is not directed at honest jim)

Well it should be.

"Honest" Jim would appear, to me, to be "Vintage Ranges" or a representative, masquerading as a customer, just like Axiom tried.

On principle I would not buy anything from Vintage Ranges, as if they cannot even present their spam honestly then they cannot be trusted in any other area of business, in my opinion.