Cassette Loos?

Featured Posts

I've made an executive decision and decided to take the (unused by me) pump out tank and dump through loo out of Apache and fit a cassette based system, The decision has been made partly due to it freeing some much needed storage space in the bathroom, partly due to simplicity, and partly due to having used a portable loo for the last year that has emphasised the freedom you get from p/o stations and expensive marina pumpouts.

What i'd like is a fitted dump through type cassette loo with a ceramic bowl, the closest I've found so far is on the Leesan website with a ceramic liner and 'luggage wheeled' 19ltr cassettes.

Are there any other good quality systems about?

Paul

My memory says that the Dometic offering probably has a fully ceramic bowl, whereas a Thetford one has only a "ceramic inlay" into plastic.

But IIRC, Mrsmelly, continual proponent that cassettes are the only "proper" bog, had fitted a Dometic, declared it unfit for purpose, and had to switch to Thetford.

(I hope I have that right - haven't gone searching, and can't recall detail of his complaints).

Try looking for relevant old thread, or alternatively PMing out ultimate "cassette" champion!

(Or of course there are the "remote cassette" Vacuflush ones that some rave over and others hate. Doesn't fulfil the simplicity requirement though, in my view!)

I've made an executive decision and decided to take the (unused by me) pump out tank and dump through loo out of Apache and fit a cassette based system, The decision has been made partly due to it freeing some much needed storage space in the bathroom, partly due to simplicity, and partly due to having used a portable loo for the last year that has emphasised the freedom you get from p/o stations and expensive marina pumpouts.

What i'd like is a fitted dump through type cassette loo with a ceramic bowl, the closest I've found so far is on the Leesan website with a ceramic liner and 'luggage wheeled' 19ltr cassettes.

Are there any other good quality systems about?

Paul

We have the Thetford c250 electric flush, ceramic (only lined I believe) bowl - tanks are 18 litre and wheeled. Make sure you get and additional preferable two additional cassettes.

Aqua Narrowboats fitted ours.

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

The only problem we have had is very occasionally one of the tanks doesn't activate the 'cassette nearly full' warning light. It's no big deal as you see when it needs emptying anyway.

My memory says that the Dometic offering probably has a fully ceramic bowl, whereas a Thetford one has only a "ceramic inlay" into plastic.

But IIRC, Mrsmelly, continual proponent that cassettes are the only "proper" bog, had fitted a Dometic, declared it unfit for purpose, and had to switch to Thetford.

(I hope I have that right - haven't gone searching, and can't recall detail of his complaints).

Try looking for relevant old thread, or alternatively PMing out ultimate "cassette" champion!

(Or of course there are the "remote cassette" Vacuflush ones that some rave over and others hate. Doesn't fulfil the simplicity requirement though, in my view!)

You have - I remember it from when I posted asking about cassette loos. His complaint was about leaking holding tanks IIRC

As a slightly off-topic aside, I just recently purchased a spare cassette for our 200. For anyone else looking right now the best deal by far is to look for a "Freshen Up Kit". Half the price of a cassette alone and it includes a new seat and some cleaning chemicals. I paid £84 for ours.

Tony

Other way around. The Dometic one has a ceramic inlay and the Thetford C250 has a full china bowl (also available with a plastic bowl). I think Dometic are going to do/have started doing a full ceramic bowl but I have not seem one yet.

Edited by Speedwheel

Other way around. The Dometic one has a ceramic inlay and the Thetford C250 has a full china bowl (also available with a plastic bowl). I think Dometic are going to do/have started doing a full ceramic bowl but I have not seem one yet.

Hell of a difference in price though :o - we got discount of our c250 when we bought it and didn't pay anything like that for it.

Just my opinion but just looking at those pics. tells me the c250 is the superior product.

I removed the Pump out toilet from our boat several years ago, as we had not used it for at least five years, and continued to use the standard Portaloo which were using previously. This has worked out fine and we also have a spare Portaloo in the cupboard under the sink (both were virtually when we bought them S/H for £25 each from the ads in the local paper).

Because they are slightly more convenient to use, I would consider fitting a cassette type sometime in the future, and would go for the Thetford one and install it in exactly the same way as in the pictures posted by MJG.

I stand corrected.

I would have thought the Thetford almost a no brainer then, given the apparent more of less total reliability of the "non ceramic" CS-200 series.

(Although have just noticed the price of the Thetford :o!)

Personally I would stick with the C200. Tried and tested, relatively good value with parts easily available all around the cut.

But the OP wanted wheeled cassettes and the 200's aren't. Plus (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) are not the internals (solenoid and the like) shared parts??

Very little else to go wrong....

But the OP wanted wheeled cassettes and the 200's aren't. Plus (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) are not the internals (solenoid and the like) shared parts??

Ah didn't spot that. TBH I'm not sure how many parts they share. I will go and investigate.

The Thetford C400 series bench type have got wheels.

Alternatively buy a small folding sack trolley. You will still be a couple of hundred quid up and you can use it for carry gas bottles and other stuff too.

install it in exactly the same way as in the pictures posted by MJG.

The only real thing to check before fitting it like that is that there is enough clearance for the cassette to come out into the corridor. Ours is OK (just) due to the boxed in fin rads which you can't see in the picture.

I just measured a cassette in the chandlers to check, (though I'm pretty confident Aqua Narrowboats would have checked this before they started cutting holes in the bathroom wall :lol: )

The wheeled cassettes are an attraction but not essential as they might not be ideal on towpaths due to their small diameter wheels, we use a 'granny type' shopping trolley at the moment which has big wheels and seems capable of carrying most things including the cassettes.

Many thanks for everybodies inputs it really is helping me B)

Paul

The wheeled cassettes are an attraction but not essential as they might not be ideal on towpaths due to their small diameter wheels, we use a 'granny type' shopping trolley at the moment which has big wheels and seems capable of carrying most things including the cassettes.

Many thanks for everybodies inputs it really is helping me B)

Paul

The wheels are next to useless on a rough tow path/gravel TBH - If I transport mine any distance on such surfaces I use a trolley.

Where the wheels do come in is on smoother surfaces, even on our boarded pontoon deck. They also make it extremely easy to get the tank through the boat as they are quite difficult things to carry through a narrow boat corridor.

Hi

Congragulations on fitting a proper bog most people see sense in the end. Alan is right I have used the thetford c200 model over the years with great effectbut when taking the silly pumpout bog off this boat looked at ceramic bowl jobbies as they look nicer and appear a good idea. I bought the Dometic ( Not Cheap ) and horror of horrors DO NOT BUY ONE the openeing slide becomes VERY stiff after a few uses and I had to mess about spraying it with silicone spray and still no use so thought unlucky and bought another cassette which also was the same oh and both leaked when being carries so yes youve guessed bought another cassette and still as useless and also the wheels stick and do not go round properly so again useless. I couldnt be arsed with complaining it was my fault I beleived the manufactureres wonderfull bullshit I took it out still in as new condition and skipped it bought a c200 and hey presto no more problems.

Hope this helps with your decision. :)

Anybody wants a couple of spares theres 2 in the Basin outside the Greyhound at Sutton Stop. Bloke had them stacked under his railing at the back and 2 fell off and sank. My missus said "what were they..!!"

"Boxes of shit", "Why are they on the back of his boat..Is that legal.??" "I dunno, but theres six people on there and they only have one box now...some of them are going to have to back it up."

"Oh god shut up ...if they want to go camping why dont they get a tent..!!"

I have a vacuflush remote one on Helena, can't really recommend it. That said I have never had an actual problem with it, except that the pump is just too noisy to use at night. unfeasibly expensive too. I'm probably going to replace it with a more conventional cassette toilet, not sure which one yet, execpt that it has to have a ceramic bowl

Lee

I bought the Dometic ( Not Cheap ) and horror of horrors DO NOT BUY ONE the openeing slide becomes VERY stiff after a few uses and I had to mess about spraying it with silicone spray and still no use so thought unlucky and bought another cassette which also was the same oh and both leaked when being carried

You're not alone. I know someone else who has the same problems. C200 would be my vote: simple, reliable, and easy to get spares for.

MP.

I am looking at getting the ceramic thetford too and I also believe its possible to have the cassete waste go into a holding tank when it gets full.

I think that feature is aimed at the motorhome market though,although some boaters may like it.