Dongle thanks and more advice?

Woollymishka

Featured Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice following my OP re dongle extensions - superb help.

One additional issue - have bought a 3 dongle but 3 say none of their dongles take an aerial? So - Scooby suggests I swop the sim card (is this in the dongle?) and buy a dongle off ebay which takes an aerial - now somewhat confused?

Any help would be appreciated

Tim

Yes the sim card is located in the dongle - there's a small tray located just above the usb plug, it will have a nail indentation in it and slides out over the plug.

They've changed they model line-up since I got mine (several years ago). Look on ebay for 'braodband dongle', there's loads. Then ensure that 1) it's either unlocked or locked on '3' and 2) that it is a model that takes an external aerial. Should cost 10-20.

Yes the sim card is located in the dongle - there's a small tray located just above the usb plug, it will have a nail indentation in it and slides out over the plug.

They've changed they model line-up since I got mine (several years ago). Look on ebay for 'braodband dongle', there's loads. Then ensure that 1) it's either unlocked or locked on '3' and 2) that it is a model that takes an external aerial. Should cost 10-20.

Thats right, you have the 3 simcard now you just need a dongle with aeriel socket, there is a few, mine is the e122.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-Huawei-E122-Internet-Dongle-/280665801519?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item4158fc432f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-HUAWEI-E160G-MOBILE-BROADBAND-DONGLE-BRAND-NEW-/110677133268?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item19c4df07d4

------------------------------------

Get aeriel from here, this is what i got

Mini Mag Antenna with an Adapter (4m Cable)

http://boatersphone.com/onlineshop.html

+ Huawei

USB 3G

Adapter

--------------------------

if your getting the router as well thats from maplin and u can get 12v cig adapter as well.

the one at £55, shows white dongle,(it doesnt come with it as appears)

Thats right, you have the 3 simcard now you just need a dongle with aeriel socket, there is a few, mine is the e122.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-Huawei-E122-Internet-Dongle-/280665801519?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item4158fc432f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-HUAWEI-E160G-MOBILE-BROADBAND-DONGLE-BRAND-NEW-/110677133268?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item19c4df07d4

------------------------------------

Get aeriel from here, this is what i got

Mini Mag Antenna with an Adapter (4m Cable)

http://boatersphone.com/onlineshop.html

+ Huawei

USB 3G

Adapter

--------------------------

if your getting the router as well thats from maplin and u can get 12v cig adapter as well.

the one at £55, shows white dongle,(it doesnt come with it as appears)

----------------

if you do get the router dont forget to password it up, otherwise your wifi is open for others to use, if you need any help in doing it i can guide ya through it.

Dongles with, dongles without,strap ons. (I have a 9 db gain aerial with a strap on.)

90% of the time I get a better signal with just the dongle hung in the cratch but at the moment the dongle is up a pole 8 feet above the cabin top and I still only just get a 3g signal.

Wish I had not bothered with the aerial.

With a bit of radio training, it seems almost a "no brainer" to me that a plug in antenna will work better and more consistently than a "Velcro strap on", that relies on some kind of inductive coupling, (presumably?).

Though I acknowledge that some report success with "strap ons", others say they don't work for them.

A used Huawei dongle with an antenna can be picked up on e-bay for (typically) £7 to £15, depending on your patience, (but watch how unreasonable postage charges can inflate this).

Models that have the socket certainly include E156 and E169, (possibly with a "G" on the end of these numbers) - I have both and each seems to perform similarly - the differences seem cosmetic.

ZTE branded modems are cheaper, but the only ZTE I tried was inferior to Huawei, and I prefer the latter.

If you know you want "3" it will probably be cheaper to buy a dongle still locked down to "3", than an unlocked one, although the latter would allow you to use SIMs from other networks.

Do these have aerial sockets?

The E169G definitely does - or at least mine has!

Scooby says he has an E122, and that has.....

So, "yes to both", I'd say.

Some e-Bay advertisers descriptions actually say that the ones they are selling do, but why not ask it as a buyer question, if any doubt ?

Dongles with, dongles without,strap ons. (I have a 9 db gain aerial with a strap on.)

90% of the time I get a better signal with just the dongle hung in the cratch but at the moment the dongle is up a pole 8 feet above the cabin top and I still only just get a 3g signal.

Wish I had not bothered with the aerial.

We have the same aerial plugged into a dongle in a router but we decided on this setup for convenience as much as anything, we could probably match the reception by sticking the dongle on top of poles etc but with a roof aerial we just open up the laptop and surf away anywhere on the boat, I like to lay in bed and surf, even on the toilet!

90% of the time I get a better signal with just the dongle

I agree that the aerial is more convenient but the point I wished to make is in bold ;)

Edited by bottle