Up the Avon

onthecut

Featured Posts

Despite it being pretty much on our doorstep and been past the end many times, had never until now actually cruised the Avon. Finding offspring had left the boat at Diglis, seemed a reasonable time to give it a go.

Arrived too late to go up, so had to moor below the lock. Directed by lock keeper to use full height moorings beyond lock -- if you are anything less than able bodied these would not be very friendly moorings -- no proper provision at all to enable easy access to bank from narrowboat height craft. The reasonable height pontoon was empty all night -- don't know if they expect a nocturnal rush !

Had glanced at the toll board and decide the £18 two day ticket would be fine, as we didn't have time to stop too long

and a couple of days would be ample to Stratford. Discovered next morning that a through passage merits the weekly £50 tariff -- £18 is for an 'excursion', whereby you must exit at the starting point. Still, fair dos as they apparently have to raise all their own funding.

In terms of scenery, I thought it really pretty, all the way from Tewkesbury to Bidford -- the big advantage being that, unlike the Severn, you are not sunken below high banks. Some lovely architecture, too, in all the towns you visit. After Bidford I think it becomes more average in terms of attractiveness. Usual issue common to rivers -- very few moorings, although a good long stretch in Evesham. Don't recall seeing any mooring spots away from the settlements en route.

Might just be pot luck what mix of craft you see, but for us, a marked preponderance of plastic craft up to Evesham with (from a narrowboater's perspective) a corresponding lengthening of locking times. One thing I think the Avon Trust might consider, is having those of its volunteers who man some of the locks wear some form of readily identifiable clothing, be it a hat, hi viz or whatever. It's their water and if I go on it I'll play by their rules, but it's no use shouting unhearable instructions and gesticulating, when you look just like all the other boaters and sightseers milling about the lock ! If I don't know who you are, then I'm afraid it's my judgement that prevails.

I'd guess at busy times, going single handed up here could be interesting. Most locks have very little waiting space coupled with sizeable weir outflows adjacent. Once in the locks, there is a stringent policy of using fore and aft ropes, which is going to keep you busy by you have also set the paddles, watched what the other paddle setters are doing etc, etc.

Altogether a nice couple of day potter, but for me, Tewkesbury to Bidford is the pick of it.

Mike.

Despite it being pretty much on our doorstep and been past the end many times, had never until now actually cruised the Avon. Finding offspring had left the boat at Diglis, seemed a reasonable time to give it a go.

Arrived too late to go up, so had to moor below the lock. Directed by lock keeper to use full height moorings beyond lock -- if you are anything less than able bodied these would not be very friendly moorings -- no proper provision at all to enable easy access to bank from narrowboat height craft. The reasonable height pontoon was empty all night -- don't know if they expect a nocturnal rush !

Had glanced at the toll board and decide the £18 two day ticket would be fine, as we didn't have time to stop too long

and a couple of days would be ample to Stratford. Discovered next morning that a through passage merits the weekly £50 tariff -- £18 is for an 'excursion', whereby you must exit at the starting point. Still, fair dos as they apparently have to raise all their own funding.

In terms of scenery, I thought it really pretty, all the way from Tewkesbury to Bidford -- the big advantage being that, unlike the Severn, you are not sunken below high banks. Some lovely architecture, too, in all the towns you visit. After Bidford I think it becomes more average in terms of attractiveness. Usual issue common to rivers -- very few moorings, although a good long stretch in Evesham. Don't recall seeing any mooring spots away from the settlements en route.

Might just be pot luck what mix of craft you see, but for us, a marked preponderance of plastic craft up to Evesham with (from a narrowboater's perspective) a corresponding lengthening of locking times. One thing I think the Avon Trust might consider, is having those of its volunteers who man some of the locks wear some form of readily identifiable clothing, be it a hat, hi viz or whatever. It's their water and if I go on it I'll play by their rules, but it's no use shouting unhearable instructions and gesticulating, when you look just like all the other boaters and sightseers milling about the lock ! If I don't know who you are, then I'm afraid it's my judgement that prevails.

I'd guess at busy times, going single handed up here could be interesting. Most locks have very little waiting space coupled with sizeable weir outflows adjacent. Once in the locks, there is a stringent policy of using fore and aft ropes, which is going to keep you busy by you have also set the paddles, watched what the other paddle setters are doing etc, etc.

Altogether a nice couple of day potter, but for me, Tewkesbury to Bidford is the pick of it.

Mike.

Thanks for the info Mike. As I have said else where in the forum I hope to do the Avon ring next month will take on board what you have said, You didn't say what sex the lock keepers were, or was that deliberate?

Andri

Hi Andri.

All the Trust people we saw involved with the locks were blokes. I did hear one fellow upstream traveller comment on the irony of being lectured on the evils of only using a centre line by an official not even wearing a flotation device himself. Another was a little bemused, I think, to have had his boat measured at one of the locks. One minor point to be aware of is that at Tewkesbury lock, they only take cash or cheque for toll payment -- no plastic.

Reading the leaflet they give you, I was amazed to see that a free pump out is available on the way into Evesham. This was handy as we were approaching pump out time. Got to the location, did the pump out, then noticed the notice announcing the closure of the facility from last month ! Whether the fact the system still works is an oversight I have no idea. Be very nice if free pump outs spread around BW !!!

Mike.

Usual issue common to rivers -- very few moorings, although a good long stretch in Evesham. Don't recall seeing any mooring spots away from the settlements en route.

Mike.

I spent a month on the Avon last summer, and thoroughly enjoyed it - only £30 more than the week's licence. As for mooring, many of the locks have moorings, and some riverside pubs. The moorings at George Billington Lock are particularly extensive, but the pub opposite also has moorings, and those and the pub were so good that I stayed there three times. :)

Mac

I spent a month on the Avon last summer, and thoroughly enjoyed it - only £30 more than the week's licence. As for mooring, many of the locks have moorings, and some riverside pubs. The moorings at George Billington Lock are particularly extensive, but the pub opposite also has moorings, and those and the pub were so good that I stayed there three times. :)

Mac

Thanks Guys for your comments very interesting and much appreciated. Just hope it doesn't rain to much the few days before our holiday.

Andri

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you have to use ropes in the lock,Ive never used any rope in a lock, is it because there so big,and then would only envisage using the middle line, sorry formy ignorance,

Why do you have to use ropes in the lock,Ive never used any rope in a lock, is it because there so big,and then would only envisage using the middle line, sorry formy ignorance,

Have you only been on narrow canals, then? If you were in a steel boat and it got swung about while the lock was filling, at the very least you could be bashed against the side, and any plastic boats in the lock with you would object strongly.

Probably lol, think biggest was at middlewich,and no need there,but just wondered why you would use other lines apart from middle line, would seem a bit fiddly.

Well TBH I only use a centre line when I'm in a (wide) lock by myself. In fact, being singlehanded with a 27ft boat, I use a centreline even in narrow locks (and centre bollards too, if present! :o ) because Cygnet will often end up out of reach of the ladder when going down.

But I believe I'll be obliged to use two ropes on the Thames, which is where I've nearly reached.

The Locks on a Avon a viscous when you are going up. The paddle gear is French design and it is just a big paddle on each on the top gatse with no baffle and it is well above the water level. So initially you get a 2ft wide stream of water shooting out about 10ft, even it you are very careful and only open the paddle a small amount.

Going down I "cheated" and did start to just use the centreline, but going up would not really recommend that. There were only 2 of us so it was a bit of a faf, wife had to adjust the front line tied off to the bollard (going up) a couple of times as the lock filled. The lock are very wide, so even sharing you will be quite a way from other boats in the lock

That's all right, then. Means the water doesn't splash about. :)

Sorry!

Coat

LOL let me pass that to you...., serves me right for trusting the spell checker. VICIOUS was what I meant of course, and they are....... Avon was great fun though.

We did Tewkesbury to Stratford last August in a hire boat, and it can only be described as 'sensational.' It is peaceful, beautiful, full of wildlife and tranquility, and so rewarding to navigate. The kingfishers alone made it worth the visit.

We only saw Avon Navigation Trust volunteers on the one day they were manning all the locks to raise funds. I just sat on the taff rail drinking coffee, then tea, then wine, directing small children to make donations while someone else did all the hard work. It was so much fun that I was downright miffed when I reached an unmanned lock.

As for using ropes in locks - I have always followed the advice of the owner of the boat I have been hiring. If all goes to plan, it'll be my decision from next month.

:unsure: