Is there a diesel fairy?

stellar

Featured Posts

I last filled up on 7th April (19 days ago) Have only travelled about 18 miles since but have run my engine 2hrs a day to charge batteries. I wanted to avail myself of Elsan and waste disposal facilities at a boatyard so thought Id top up my diesel whilst there. Unscrewed the cap and lo and behold, tank absolutely full! I have definitely not been anywhere during the last 19 days that I could have filled up and forgotten. Any ideas?

No diesel fairies sadly but plenty of diesel devils.

You didn't find your holding tank already empty did you :D

Seriously though has trim of boat changed? Water tank filled/emptied since diesel fill up?

Edited by richardhula

I last filled up on 7th April (19 days ago) Have only travelled about 18 miles since but have run my engine 2hrs a day to charge batteries. I wanted to avail myself of Elsan and waste disposal facilities at a boatyard so thought Id top up my diesel whilst there. Unscrewed the cap and lo and behold, tank absolutely full! I have definitely not been anywhere during the last 19 days that I could have filled up and forgotten. Any ideas?

Air pocket somewhere causing the tank to look full? Did you dip the tank to make sure that there's not a film of diesel at the top but the real level has fallen below it? I've forgotten the correct term - is it a meniscus?

Other than that the only diesel fairy I can think of is the diesel at Norbury Junction at 76.9p/lt at the weekend. Sadly closed when Cobbett and I came through though.

Visually a tank will look full even when it's not...

I've heard of 2 instances on the Macc where scroats have emptied the diesel tank then refilled them with canal water, unlikely to be the case since your engine is still running.

Thanks for the suggestions.

After 4 hours cruising yesterday and 6 hrs today, I dipped the tank this evening and the surface of the diesel is still only 4" down, not sure if it is even below the bottom of the filler tube ( sorry about the technical language). Something else has just occurred to me, I changed the fuel filter and the water seperator since my last fill up so that will have used a bit of diesel as well. Could that have let some air into the system? Engine seems to be running very well.

After 4 hours cruising yesterday and 6 hrs today, I dipped the tank this evening and the surface of the diesel is still only 4" down, not sure if it is even below the bottom of the filler tube ( sorry about the technical language). Something else has just occurred to me, I changed the fuel filter and the water seperator since my last fill up so that will have used a bit of diesel as well. Could that have let some air into the system? Engine seems to be running very well.

I think you are underestimating just how much a four inch drop in a big narrowboat diesel tank equates to in terms of litres consumed.

Sounds about par for the course to me.

The fuel filter and separator change will make no discernible change what so ever on a dipstick...

Are you sure your tank has a filler tube? On most narrowboats the rear deck forms the top of the tank.

Another point is how full was it filled last time. On our boat the neck of the filler hangs down into the tank, some yards fill until the diesel touches that and even that can be + - 2cm depending if he is standing on the gunwale while he fills it, like wise some yards fill well up the neck, so it can be a big difference.