Looking after a Lister JP3

Featured Posts

I hope that my boat will be finished for the Summer. It has a JP3 - a much older engine han I am used to.

A very old posting led to this reply about maintenance. If I follow it carefully, should it suffice?

Now for maintenance

Every day

grease rocker gear

grease water pump (if it's the origional one)

Check oil level

Check reduction gear oil

Check injector pump oil

Change oil every 450hrs ( 7 gallon)

Can't remember the frequency for the pump and reduction

They start fine if the compression is OK

Very hard working and relable engine.

Things to do and not to do

Don't try and start it in low compression. Unless its hot it won't start

Do run it in low when on rivers and running hard.

Things that go wrong

Diesel will leak through into the injector pump oil so it needs to be changed often.

Many thanks.

Welcome to the world of JP ownership.

Not really anything to add to your list.

I tend to give the rocker greasers half a turn every hour or so. Working on the grounds that to much wont do any harm. Every now and again, take the rocker covers off and wipe out the surplus grease.

JP's (like any diesels) like to be worked hard. Unfortunately, in a NB, a JP3 rarely gets a chance for a good workout. I'm lucky that I have the Thames on my doorstep, so I do get the chance to let her go in deep water.

I never run mine in low compression on canals. The engine is never under enough load.

Out on the river, running at around 800 rpm for long periods, I switch to low.

Frequent oil changes is the key. More so, if your engine runs on light loads for the majority of the time.

:cheers:

I hope that my boat will be finished for the Summer. It has a JP3 - a much older engine han I am used to.

A very old posting led to this reply about maintenance. If I follow it carefully, should it suffice?

Now for maintenance

Every day

grease rocker gear

grease water pump (if it's the origional one)

Check oil level

Check reduction gear oil

Check injector pump oil

Change oil every 450hrs ( 7 gallon)

Can't remember the frequency for the pump and reduction

They start fine if the compression is OK

Very hard working and relable engine.

Things to do and not to do

Don't try and start it in low compression. Unless its hot it won't start

Do run it in low when on rivers and running hard.

Things that go wrong

Diesel will leak through into the injector pump oil so it needs to be changed often.

Many thanks.

Hi Geoffrey - I'm having a nb built this year with JP2M so maybe we can share experiences with engines. Not sure what quantity of oil a wet sump JP3 takes, but 7 gallons seems high. Mine uses nearly the same but most of it is in external tank (dry sump). The guy rebuilding mine is also adding the JK rocker oil feed mod. He makes up a ½" BSP union with restrictor in it to feed each rocker via ¼" BSP connections.

IMG_1750.jpg

Greetings, RichardHula.

Many thanks for your very helpful reply.

My engine came from RW Davies, was then rather disrupted elsewhere and was then made good by Tony Redshaw. It is going back round to him to have a couple more jobs done and, when it does, I'll catch a word with him about the rocker oil feed modification.

Who is working on yours?

With best wishes,

Geoffrey Hammond

Greetings, RichardHula.

My engine came from RW Davies, was then rather disrupted elsewhere and was then made good by Tony Redshaw. It is going back round to him to have a couple more jobs done and, when it does, I'll catch a word with him about the rocker oil feed modification.

Who is working on yours?

With best wishes,

Geoffrey Hammond

One point not mentioned is that a little bit of oil should be kept in the top of each head around the valves, not too much though.

The oil feed to rockers mod isn't as simple as just piping oil to them, the pushrod tubes need changing or modifying and special slotted washers under the pushrod tube nuts, to control the oil level in the heads.

Edit - a straightforward job during a rebuild, but the heads have to come off so not just an easy bolt-on modification.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Greetings, RichardHula.

Who is working on yours?

With best wishes,

Geoffrey Hammond

Martyn at MPS

He knows about the pushrod oil drain requirements for JK mod having already performed this on an earlier JP2M rebuild. Guess Tony Redshaw would as well. The trick is getting the right size orifice in the restrictor so not too much oil is fed to rockers.

Problem I/Martyn have is finding an oil feed adapter to supply everything from single oil pressure take-off alongside crankcase door. I need four outlets for oil pressure gauge, water pump, low pressure switch & JK mod. A cross fed adapter was needed with one male ½" BSP fitting & four female ½" BSP outlets.

Edited by richardhula

Martyn at MPS

He knows about the pushrod oil drain requirements for JK mod having already performed this on an earlier JP2M rebuild.

I'm sure he would.

Someone with less knowledge might not even think of it as a potential issue.

Guess Tony Redshaw would as well. The trick is getting the right size orifice in the restrictor so not too much oil is fed to rockers.

Problem I/Martyn have is finding an oil feed adapter to supply everything from single oil pressure take-off alongside crankcase door. I need four outlets for oil pressure gauge, water pump, low pressure switch & JK mod. A cross fed adapter was needed with one male ½" BSP fitting & four female ½" BSP outlets.

Surely you mean 1/4" BSP?

Tim

• 3 months later...

Hi Richard

I was thinking of using MPS to refubish my Lister JP3, having used them your self would you recommend them?

Regards

William

Yes :D

They might even do a swop ;) - they have two nearly complete full rebuilds as you've probably seen on their site.

Note they will only do ground up rebuild though. Speak to Martyn.