Back over the Ribble Link - weather forecast

Ange

Featured Posts

We're due to cross back over the Ribble Link on Thursday 21st April. We've thoroughly enjoyed our stay on the Lancy and would recommend it to anyone but are looking forward to rejoining the main network.

When I suggested last year that we cross the link to the Lancy hubby Dave was very surprised, because I'm a bit of a big girl's blouse when it comes to anything other than ditch crawling (my argument is that we didn't buy a flat bottomed skip to cruise on lumpy water!!). I suggested it because I had the ignorance of bliss at that time - I did no research and didn't have a clue what the journey would entail. By the time I knew what I'd let myself in for the crossing was booked.

Anyway (I know I'm waffling, I have that tendency when it's late in the evening bear with me :D) we're booked to cross back over this coming Thursday. No ignorance this time, I know we have to navigate the River Ribble, this time facing the estuary until we reach the Asland Lamp, and then the River Douglas. Please bear in mind that last year's Ribble crossing was our first ever journey out of ditch water. I tell myself as long it's as calm as it was on our crossing over it'll be fine. This is what Metcheck.com tells me:- http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=preston&day=5

Our crossing starts at 9.30am - the winds will be at 17mph with gusts of 20mph at 1pm which I think is about the time we'll be doing the river bits.

Am I getting overwrought or is my worrying sensible worrying?

We're due to cross back over the Ribble Link on Thursday 21st April. We've thoroughly enjoyed our stay on the Lancy and would recommend it to anyone but are looking forward to rejoining the main network.

When I suggested last year that we cross the link to the Lancy hubby Dave was very surprised, because I'm a bit of a big girl's blouse when it comes to anything other than ditch crawling (my argument is that we didn't buy a flat bottomed skip to cruise on lumpy water!!). I suggested it because I had the ignorance of bliss at that time - I did no research and didn't have a clue what the journey would entail. By the time I knew what I'd let myself in for the crossing was booked.

Anyway (I know I'm waffling, I have that tendency when it's late in the evening bear with me :D) we're booked to cross back over this coming Thursday. No ignorance this time, I know we have to navigate the River Ribble, this time facing the estuary until we reach the Asland Lamp, and then the River Douglas. Please bear in mind that last year's Ribble crossing was our first ever journey out of ditch water. I tell myself as long it's as calm as it was on our crossing over it'll be fine. This is what Metcheck.com tells me:- http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=preston&day=5

Our crossing starts at 9.30am - the winds will be at 17mph with gusts of 20mph at 1pm which I think is about the time we'll be doing the river bits.

Wind ON tide is the big problem, this condition allows for a swell with possible breaking waves.

YOUR WORRIED ??????????? I'm part of your crew!!!!!!!!

Easy-Peasey..Follow my lead, I'm in the zodiac 20 mtrs astern :lol: :lol: :P

I wouldn't rely on a 5 day forecast this week. The atlantic pressure systems are changing quite a bit as high pressure is being squeezed on both sides.

Hopefully high pressure(if it wins the battle) will force rain on to Ireland and protect us. If I was to put money on anything I'd say next Friday will be a bright day with much rarer eastery winds at about 7kts and imho, the whole of Easter is looking very good with the jet stream predicted to be above Scotland all week.

I hope you have a brilliant trip and I like Metcheck a lot btw, its generally a good choice for forecasts.

Also, it maybe more than you want. But If weather is really a question mark for you on the day, its always worth checking the Metars (actuals) and Tafs (forecasts) for Ronaldsway, Liverpool and Manchester before you go.

Just go here http://ukga.com/aerodrome/list type name of airport and then click on airport and go down to "current weather" using the three airporst together you will get a good mental picture of the very lastest weather and also be able to build a fairly accurate short term forecast in that triangle.

Jim

Edited by jim and pat dalton

Dont worry.

BW won't release you from the sea lock if the weathers not up to it.

However, the wind will be about 9 knots from the East (up your stern) and visibility will be about 6 miles.

At that time, you will be riding the last of the ebb tide (low tide at Preston is 1149 BST), so wind and tide will be pushing you downriver.

If you haven't already read it, have a look at the Millenium Ribble Link Skippers Guide.

P.S If I get anything different weather-wise nearer Thursday, I'll post it up.

Edited by NB Willawaw

Thanks for the reassurance / advice chaps - I know I worry too much (that's what Dave tells me anyway!)

I'll be keeping a close eye on the weather forecast over the next few days :)

Is :cheers: everything ok with the boat Ange did Dave manage to get the pump going?

When we came back from the Lanky in Copperkins a few years ago, almost all the boats which travelled with us, made a meal of the entrance onto the river and they were promptly swept backwards towards Preston. These boats went straight out then tried to turn. We were almost last out of the "canal" and Iain started the turn BEFORE he exited and came out at almost 45%. He reckonned if he went onto the sand bank, he would have been quickly washed off it again. The completion of the turn to go down river was done with a lot of welly and the result was that we went into the lead with all the other boats having been pushed up river towards Preston.

I am perhaps a little biased but it was an impressive bit of boating, using the rudder and engine to the best advantage.

When we got to Tarleton, the keeper held us oustide the lock till the levels equalised and then we all went straight through the lock with all gates open.

haggis

Thanks Haggis - some very useful info there. Any tips or hints anyone can give us will help us on the day. I took loads of photos on our crossing from Tarleton so I'm going to go through them now to estimate timings for our return journey. Dave's also asked me to check on the height of the tide.

I wish I wasn't such a worrier - this is going to obsess me all week!!

When we came back from the Lanky in Copperkins a few years ago, almost all the boats which travelled with us, made a meal of the entrance onto the river and they were promptly swept backwards towards Preston. These boats went straight out then tried to turn. We were almost last out of the "canal" and Iain started the turn BEFORE he exited and came out at almost 45%. He reckonned if he went onto the sand bank, he would have been quickly washed off it again. The completion of the turn to go down river was done with a lot of welly and the result was that we went into the lead with all the other boats having been pushed up river towards Preston.

I am perhaps a little biased but it was an impressive bit of boating, using the rudder and engine to the best advantage.

When we got to Tarleton, the keeper held us oustide the lock till the levels equalised and then we all went straight through the lock with all gates open.

haggis

I would strongly discourage attempting to turn before you are well out in to the channel; the risk of grounding is too high. Once in the channel the tide will push you upstream a bit but you will turn then after that it's plain sailing. BW check the weather conditions before releasing you and won't send you out in adverse conditions. You've already done the hardest bit coming down from Tarleton to the boat yard on the Douglas. Enjoy your trip.

I would strongly discourage attempting to turn before you are well out in to the channel; the risk of grounding is too high. Once in the channel the tide will push you upstream a bit but you will turn then after that it's plain sailing. BW check the weather conditions before releasing you and won't send you out in adverse conditions. You've already done the hardest bit coming down from Tarleton to the boat yard on the Douglas. Enjoy your trip.

It was more a case of stemming the tidal flow,than turning. In any case, it would have been quite difficult to go seriously aground on a rising tide and against the tidal current.

Iain

Good luck on Thursday looks like you have picked a very good week to do it,is 9.30 the time you exit the sea lock onto Ribble or the time you start on staircase? I think I saw your boat moored at Guy's on friday. You might even get a good tan sailing down Ribble :captain:

Good luck on Thursday looks like you have picked a very good week to do it,is 9.30 the time you exit the sea lock onto Ribble or the time you start on staircase? I think I saw your boat moored at Guy's on friday. You might even get a good tan sailing down Ribble :captain:

Thanks Buccaneer - yes that was us at Guy's, we've just spent the weekend in Garstang and are now at the Hand & Dagger. We start the staircase at 9.30 - if it stays like this it should be a good journey :)

Just checked the forecast again on Metcheck and it's now 7-8 mph winds with bright sunshine. I'm a very happy lady :D

Thanks Buccaneer - yes that was us at Guy's, we've just spent the weekend in Garstang and are now at the Hand & Dagger. We start the staircase at 9.30 - if it stays like this it should be a good journey :)

Just checked the forecast again on Metcheck and it's now 7-8 mph winds with bright sunshine. I'm a very happy lady :D

Thinking of you for tomorrow Ange!weathers going to great!we are hoping its going to stay nice for us going down through Anderton on Friday! :boat:

Thinking of you for tomorrow Ange!weathers going to great!we are hoping its going to stay nice for us going down through Anderton on Friday! :boat:

It's Thursday we're going over mum - tomorrow's final preparation day!

Just checked the weather for Anderton on Friday and it's looking good for you too. Enjoy :cheers:

Loins suitably girded, ready to go ???

All the best..

Yep thanks ... moored in the basin now, most of the crap cleared off the roof, engine maintenance done, loins girded (I read that as lions girded at first :D)

I'll post some return journey pics (taking photos keeps me occupied!)

Good Luck Ange and Dave, its been good to get to know you better. Im glad you enjoyed the Lancaster enough to stay as long as you did. Come back again one day.

Thanks Tanis - it was a pleasure to get to know you better too. I'd definitely recommend the Lancaster to anyone who's thinking of visiting. I'm sure we'll be back one day

Dave and Ange,

Best of luck for tomorrow, looking forward to the pics

Thanks Mark :)