Out of Limehouse 09/04 NB Clarence & Archimedes

benfordboy

Featured Posts

During a trip to London this weekend for the wifes B.day it was a pure fluke that as we walked down Thames walk from the Monument , there were two NB's passing HMS Belfast.

These were NB Clarence & Working Boat Archimedes.

Pics aren't the best as the cam was in the bag at first & sun on the lens !

Not sure if owners are Forum members - have one or 2 available of each craft & can email full size pics if emails pm'd to me.

After doing the same trip last yr I know we would have loved any pics from the bank

Clarence

DSCF1406Small.jpg

Archimedes

DSCF1410Small.jpg

Of course , the wife thinks I must have memorised the tide times to arrive just at the right moment !!!!

Edit - Forget to add Archimedes was breasted up to another square bowed boat.

Edited by benfordboy

M.t Major who posts on here is probably one of those aboard Archimedes, as he works it with Tom Hill.

I spotted both at Apsley not that many days ago, along with a pusher tug / hopper combination.

I'm wondering if that's what's alongside Archimedes here ?

Love the other picture with the Thames Clipper and other trip boat in it - it gives a real idea of just how much narrow boats are dominated by the big boys on this stretch!

Archimedes was breasted up with a tug and lighter combination. Cant remember the name of the tug but it had come from Birmingham. The pair came up Thames Lock at Brentford and left the tug/lighter there, and I think the crew said that Archimedes was going back to Limehouse immediately.

I saw both boats; Archimedes' engine had a very satisfying sound.

Yesterday I took a cruise in from Chiswick to Chelsea and back. The tide turned at Chelsea, so that marked the end. Superb weather, and I hadn't realised the extent to which the South Bank has been rebuilt in recent years. Apart from the boathouses at Putney, it's nearly all new, with love 'em or loathe 'em new blocks of expensive flats.

Edited by sebrof

Archimedes went past our flat just as it was getting dark - (lovely sound), so I couldn't really take a photo. If anyone wants a picture of their boat coming out of, or going into Limehouse PM me and if I'm at home I'll take a snap for you.

Well that was me going past on the working boat don't thank you can say I was going to fast ! But some people need to go on a rope course the end of the day working boats do more abit of water about !! Well some of us got to move about the canal to make money so we have to get on and do it and put long days in too

Lets just say, you were going faster than we would but not excessivly,when you passed us. As for the speed you went past the others I have no idea. Luckily though there rope tying was proficient and all the pins still attached to ropes. We heard after you were trying to break the record to Ellesmere Port, did you make it?

Lets just say, you were going faster than we would but not excessivly,when you passed us. As for the speed you went past the others I have no idea. Luckily though there rope tying was proficient and all the pins still attached to ropes. We heard after you were trying to break the record to Ellesmere Port, did you make it?

. We got there just on time ! For the boat rally been a good weekend up there just on r way bk now so might see you when we go past you !! Just remember it's the water we move when we go past you not my speed so much thanks Jay