Viking / UK Boat Hire Performance / Cost

Fuzzy Canadian

Featured Posts

Black Princes today are near bomb proof and need to be.

Two of them approached a blind corner flat out ( as in you can do the Caldon in a day!) and on the corner one hit the other in the side while the other climbed over the armco edge and advanced up a mans garden towards him, finally stopping some 5 feet over the armco having ploughed his grass up too. He got a camera and photoed the scene - including the fact that one boat was still floating with just the smallest mark on its front while the one over the armo had and equally small mark (but no dent) in its side. Somehow the one beached in his garden was backed off and it floated two seemingly none the worse for wear. Meanwhile the armco was bent and buckled and generally destroyed.

Before the boat left the man got details and contacted Black Prince who seemed totally unbothered that their boats might be damaged as 'they are bombproof' but were very concerned about the armco and garden. They sent a work crew to replace the armco and put the garden back - a job that the man said took 3 days solid work during which the crew admitted they had never seen metal of that type so damaged.

I have just returned home after using my tesco vouchers to pay for a long weekend on the llangollen with viking at whitchurch. my wife and I were more than happy with the boat. the equipment was more than adequate and collected many brownie points for having a hair dryer! when booking I found the telesales staff most helpful and joy of all joys my wife wants to go again.

We hired from Anglo Welsh last year, arrived at the hire base to be told "You've picked an old one, haven't you?!".

69' boat, hull slightly banana shaped, shower leaked into the bunk bed in the next room.

On the Wednesday the front of the cutlery drawer fell off, to reveal about 20 layers of glue (I reckon every hire crew for the last 2 years had "fixed" this).

Interestingly the boat isn't in their brochures this year!

We split the costs across a large group, and we were geared up for a fairly simple, blokey holiday, so we didn't care much. But if we'd been with wives / girlfriends I suspect the lack of creature comforts and general condition of the boat would have caused a mutiny, and we'd have been demanding quite a lot of money back.

P.S. I agree Aqua Narrowboats are superb. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

We also hired from Anglo Welsh last year and were very happy with the boat we had (Golden Eagle). The problem we had was with the itinary that should have been on the boat, a number of items were missing and one or two things needed replacing and cleaning. If we had checked the boat over properly at the start we probably would have had these items replaced we didnt because we had become to complacent having hired now for many years and had on the whole good service from many companies. We blame the paticular boatyard and ourselves for allowing that to happen and not Anglo Welsh. So we are again hiring a boat from the same company this year only from another yard.

If we had checked the boat over properly at the start we probably would have had these items replaced we didnt because we had become to complacent having hired now for many years and had on the whole good service from many companies. We blame the particular boatyard and ourselves for allowing that to happen and not Anglo Welsh. So we are again hiring a boat from the same company this year only from another yard.

I don't agree at all that you were in any way at fault - it is clearly the boatyards responsibility 100% to do this - that is the service you pay for.

I don't agree at all that you were in any way at fault - it is clearly the boatyards responsibility 100% to do this - that is the service you pay for.

Perhaps your correct but i still think it is wise to check the inventry before you leave the boatyard.

Perhaps your correct but i still think it is wise to check the inventry before you leave the boatyard.

Possibly - but if I hired and anything that was stated to be on the boat that wasn't (only happened once when we had a hair drying emergency!!!) I called the hire co. and asked them to meet us and bring one - which they duly did.

Possibly - but if I hired and anything that was stated to be on the boat that wasn't (only happened once when we had a hair drying emergency!!!) I called the hire co. and asked them to meet us and bring one - which they duly did.

Point taken. I'll hope for better this time round. We are now at the "What have you not got packed stage" and "does it need washed". Ah well soon be on our way.