What the opinion on the rope cutter things

Biggles

Featured Posts

Getting down the weed-hatch to clear rope, weeds, plastic bags, mattresses, 'phone pole stays, bike frames, shopping trolleys is one of the joys of boating. Just think what you would miss if you installed this expensive bit of kit. And ... would it deal with 'phone pole stays, bike frames or shopping trolleys? Don't do it!

No experience of it but I would wear a chain mail glove when going into the weedhatch.

Hi.

Quite liked the idea of one of these, but have decided against for the same reason as above. Theory great, but on the cut removing items from the prop with a sharp stainless steel blade on the shaft may prove a tad tricky/painful.

If you do decide to go for one, this company is little more reasonable price wise.

www.jimsengineering.com

John.

All the devices attached to prop shafts for cutting ropes etc are really designed for sea going vessels. For canal use, don't touch them with a barge pole ............ or maybe I should have said ONLY touch them with a barge pole?

The thought of clearing a prop with a cutter attached is an open invitation for a dose of Weil's disease ......

in 46 years on the cut i have only once had a foul so bad that i had to drain the water between two locks to saw off the offending tyre and mattress!!

don't like the idea of a razor sharp edged cutter that is submerged in water that you can't see!

My worse foul was a spring mattress too. It took three hours up to my neck in cold water with bolt croppers on a Sunday morning to get it free.

Blade cutters wouldn't have prevented that.

Tone

I have toyed with the idea of a 'cage' over the prop to prevent large items getting caught up on the prop - like mattresses. The trouble I can foresee is more plastic getting caught on the cage instead, but that might be easier to clear than from the prop. Has anyone had any experience of such a contraption?

The 'rope cutter' idea I have discarded for the reasons given in the above posts, after thinking it a good idea when I first saw them advertised.

John

Looks like that will be a NO then.

It would be interesting to see how it dealt with anything other than the bit of rope demo.

I hadnt considered the cutting myself aspect either.

Biggles

I am wondering if these are worth fitting seeing as how expensive they are.

Prop Protector

Biggles

Hi, having 1st hand experience of a prop protector on two boats for over 4 years I can definitely recommend them.

They shift all the run of the mill stuff, bits of rope and twine, plastic bags and weeds are dealt with easily.

Of course they would be no use with the larger items in some of the posts above but I very rarely have to go in the weed hatch.

One memorable episode was to untangle razor wire from round the prop. Incidentally I always use and recommend the wearing of

heavy duty pond gloves whenever going down the weed hatch.

As for them being dangerous, its nonsense, they are tucked away behind the prop and as long as you have the intelligence to remember

it is there or read the warning sign on the weed hatch lid then they present no problem.

I have just fitted one to my new build, I don't know how well they work but for the sake of about £50 I thought it worth a go.

I have mentioned this on the forum but regarding getting down with your hands to clear stuff, you don't need to do this if you take a mop/brush handle and attach one of those pruning saws that fold out from its handle, attach to the handle with 2 jubilee clips and away you go. Total cost about £12. When you need to clear the bags/rope from your prop saw them off without getting your hands wet, either the stuff falls away or you can hook it out with the saw and toss it onto the tow path or wherever you want

Charles

• Greenie 1

I dont have one of those blade devices fitted, but in the last five years I have had only two prop fouling incidents that actually required a weed hatch dip. Perhaps I am lucky or my boat is set up such that it is not prone to picking things up. I wonder though if I did have a blade device would I be posting here about how wonderful they are and how I have only ever had two foulings in five years because of it!

I do have a Bargee-Bill medieval mace though - brilliant!

I dont have one of those blade devices fitted, but in the last five years I have had only two prop fouling incidents that actually required a weed hatch dip. Perhaps I am lucky or my boat is set up such that it is not prone to picking things up. I wonder though if I did have a blade device would I be posting here about how wonderful they are and how I have only ever had two foulings in five years because of it!

I do have a Bargee-Bill medieval mace though - brilliant!

Prop fouling has to depend upon how much boating you do and where you do it, of course. I also suspect that those who cruise as fast as they can are more liable to pick up rubbish on the blades than those who take their time.

I've has some interesting foul-ups on the BCN and on the Rochdale in urban areas. Picked up a nice pair of trousers and a canvas roadworks sign on the Chesterfield, and a lamb's tail on the Caldon. The Pocklington can be particularly bad with weed, as was the Bradley Arm.

The L&L, K&A, GU (apart from a whole keep-net including fish), Oxford and Huddersfield Narrow remained pretty clear for me, and I've never yet had a foul on a river (touch wood).

Tone

"Prop fouling has to depend upon how much boating you do and where you do it, of course. I also suspect that those who cruise as fast as they can are more liable to pick up rubbish on the blades than those who take their time."

I am perhaps one of the faster cruisers (lol), I am high mileage and I like to go everywhere that I can find enough depth - so thankfully my placebo cutter is doing a brilliant job! :-)

How about one of Bargee Bill's prop clearers?

size002.jpg

Anyone ever tried one? http://www.bargee-bill.co.uk/propcleaner.htm

Tony

I made my own out of a long handled machete type thing (cut and ground to shape) bought from one of the countryside outlets (can't remember the name now). It was very useful to be able to stand upright and get a good pull on the offending material as the sharpened hooked blade cut through it. IMO the BB product might be a bit wide for easy access and the hacksaw blade, not being tensioned as in a hacksaw, can't be too useful.

Roger

I made my own out of a long handled machete type thing (cut and ground to shape) bought from one of the countryside outlets (can't remember the name now). It was very useful to be able to stand upright and get a good pull on the offending material as the sharpened hooked blade cut through it. IMO the BB product might be a bit wide for easy access and the hacksaw blade, not being tensioned as in a hacksaw, can't be too useful.

Roger

I've found the saw blade of a Swiss Army Knife works well.

Tone

• 2 months later...