Steam Cleaning

Featured Posts

I have had a diesel spill in my engine bilge. The spilt diesel has been removed, leaving a very powerful stink of diesel. Is it possible to get a narrowboat engine steam-cleaned in situ?

When I was (much) younger the steam cleaning of car engines was common in conversation but I've not heard much of it these days.

I am afraid that I cannot help with the steam cleaning query - but - when we had a diesel spill in the bilge (about 20 litres) we pumped most of the diesel out then with bucket after bucket of VERY HOT soapy water - mopped and mopped for a few hours and hey - no diesel - no smell!

A long ardous job - and we wish you good luck!

I have had a diesel spill in my engine bilge. The spilt diesel has been removed, leaving a very powerful stink of diesel.

When it happens on mine, I vacuum & mop and then pour freshly boiled water with a drop of washing up liquid over the engine &/or affected area, followed by more freshly boiled water and then vacuum & mop all that up and leave the deck boards up to ventilate for a while. SWMBO then has a sniff & (usually) declares it to be a no whiff zone again.