Moving BW Mooring

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

Hi All

I am considering moving from my BW mooring to another BW mooring. From reading the mooring agreement I have to give (and pay)two months notice. My question is if I were to bid on another BW mooring and be successful would I still have to pay the notice fee? The new mooring agreement will start approx two weeks after the end of the auction. Any body got any experience of moving BW mooring?

Regards

My understanding is "yes, you would have to pay for the notice period on your current mooring".

Not that unreasonable, I'd suggest, as if they just ceased getting revenue from it from the moment you left, they are not going to get any from anybody else until it has been advertised, bid for, and taken up by someone else, which will probably take most of the time of your "forfeit" period.

I asked bw at wigan what the score was if i moved from bw mooring to another bw mooring a few mile away and they said it would just mean an adjustment at months end to cost of the seperate moorings .

errrrrrrmmmm! I wonder if BW would have the answer?

Sounds like they may have (two) different answers at least.....

1) What a current mooring agreement terms and conditions says

2) What the BW office at Wigan said.

A call to the central moorings team, telling them exactly what mooring you currently have would be best bet, I guess.

There are different terms for those who have held a mooring under the old arrangements from those who have won them under tender or auction, I believe - but check!....

I ahven't done it, but don't forget to factor in (and check with BW when you speak to them) that if you leave a tendered mooring before 3 years are up you will be owed a rebate. Although you'll need to wait for it to be processed, it will come to you, and may help ease the pain :)

I ahven't done it, but don't forget to factor in (and check with BW when you speak to them) that if you leave a tendered mooring before 3 years are up you will be owed a rebate. Although you'll need to wait for it to be processed, it will come to you, and may help ease the pain :)

The rules for an auctioned mooring are quite clear.....

37. You may terminate this Agreement at any

time except within the first six months by giving

two months written notice of termination to our

local waterway office.

38. If you terminate this Agreement by giving

notice, we will credit full, unused months

providing you write to us enclosing both copies

of the mooring permit. Credit will be calculated

pro rata where the monthly fee is one thirty-sixth

of the total fee payable over the three year term.

So, if you knew you were moving to another mooring in more than two months time, then you can in theory give sufficient notification, and not have to pay any "exit forfeit".

The problem is that if you are moving to another auctioned mooring, you usually get occupation, and have to start paying for it only two weeks after bidding has ended. So, if you want to be safe, and know you still have your current mooring, in case you are outbid on your potential new one, then you can't give notice on the old until you have won the new

Hence, actually, on considering it again, I believe in this case you would have to pay for both moorings not for a two month period, but would have to for 6 weeks.

[i have an auctioned mooring and wanted to bid on another mooring on the same canal,the local moorings person leanne pendlebury was not available so I rang watford and was told I would have to pay for the 2 months and to confirm this when leanne was available she contacted me and gave same information.

I feel they want too much as I would still be a customer in a mooring not far away.

Before the auctioned mooring I had a BW mooring for 9 years I asked if I could swop locations but No I had to take part in the auction process.

Edited by buccaneer