Delivery trip

Slim

Featured Posts

Just had a phone call to see if i would be interested in moving a 62' NB in a couple of weeks from Newbury on the K&A to the top of the Llangollen. Since I'm fed up with decorating at home I'm very tempted. Can anyone suggest the best route/? (in 15 years of owning a NB circumstances have meant that I've never been north of Braunstan). I will be single handed and in no great rush.

Many thanks

Frank

Can I suggest finding out if the boat has been up the Llangollen before? The bottom two locks at Hurleston are a real pinch point, over the years we've met several boat owners who got to Hurleston and couldn't get any further. Seems a shame to come all that way and fall at the last hurdle.

Mike

Can I suggest finding out if the boat has been up the Llangollen before? The bottom two locks at Hurleston are a real pinch point, over the years we've met several boat owners who got to Hurleston and couldn't get any further. Seems a shame to come all that way and fall at the last hurdle.

Mike

Unless it's a historic boat that has 'spread' I can't see a problem.

Any NB (without fenders down) will fit --- unless it's the one featured in the court case not so long ago that was built too wide.

I'd go up the Thames to Oxford, then via Braunston Warwick Lapworth (North Stratford) and Birmingham to Wolverhampton before the Shroppie.

Others may have different preferences

Did you mean Napton rather than Braunston?

As the OP will be single-handed I reckon the easiest route would be:

Up the Thames to Oxford

Oxford Canal to Hawkesbury

Coventry Canal to Fradley

Trent & Mersey Canal to Great Haywood

Staffs & Worcs Canal to Autherley

Shroppie to Hurleston

Up the Thames to Oxford

Shroppie to Hurleston

I agree, nice run.

Up the Thames to Oxford

Shroppie to Hurleston

Yes you're quite right, I meant Napton.

Thank you for playing this week's game of "Spot the Deliberate Mistake"

Up the Thames to Oxford

Shroppie to Hurleston

Sorry,pressed wrong button !!

Decided to go the long way around as suggested above.

Many thanks for all the advice,

Frank

Unless it's a historic boat that has 'spread' I can't see a problem.

Any NB (without fenders down) will fit --- unless it's the one featured in the court case not so long ago that was built too wide.

I know of at least two non historical ones that got stuck - one so tight that he finally unplugged, shot across the basin and destroyed his prop and gearbox on the shelf. The other sued his builder.

I know of at least two non historical ones that got stuck - one so tight that he finally unplugged, shot across the basin and destroyed his prop and gearbox on the shelf. The other sued his builder.

Yes, I presume that the one that sued the builder was the one that I mentioned.

I was replying to post#5 & the suggestion that the OP finds out whether the boat had been up the Llangollen before.

I would have thought that any boat no wider than 6'10" will go through & if in doubt, measure it.

When we went up Hurleston some years ago, the modern boat in front of us got stuck, and was only freed with lots of flushing and heaving on ropes. We then followed in Fulbourne (allegedly 7 ft 1/2 inch wide) without any problem! I think it depends just where the wide bit on your boat is.

David

When we went up Hurleston some years ago, the modern boat in front of us got stuck, and was only freed with lots of flushing and heaving on ropes. We then followed in Fulbourne (allegedly 7 ft 1/2 inch wide) without any problem! I think it depends just where the wide bit on your boat is.

David

Certainly true of one hotel boat butty that sticks in the second lock up and not in the first regularly. I saw it manage this once and was told it does it on most trips but not all depending on the levels in the pounds.

Up the Thames to Oxford

Shroppie to Hurleston

For what it's worth i agree as well.

Martyn