Why is my mobile broadband so cr*p?

starman

Featured Posts

A few months ago 3 Network sent me my new improved 'faster' dongle and very good it was too. I could stick it out the back door of the boat and watch live tv and iPlayer quite happily. But of late it's just slowed to walking pace. Same mooring, same computer, same set-up. I've just given up watching Waking the Dead in a series of stuttering 10 second starts and stops.

Any way I can improve matters or do I just shrug and say it's one of those things?

A few months ago 3 Network sent me my new improved 'faster' dongle and very good it was too. I could stick it out the back door of the boat and watch live tv and iPlayer quite happily. But of late it's just slowed to walking pace. Same mooring, same computer, same set-up. I've just given up watching Waking the Dead in a series of stuttering 10 second starts and stops.

Any way I can improve matters or do I just shrug and say it's one of those things?

mmine is really variable, one day i can watch an entire football match with no delays, and then another like today, the signal keeps dropping, and it takes 5 minutes to load each page. :angry:

Maybe lots of other users have discovered how good it is, too. They're loading up the infrastructure and suddenly it's not so good anymore. I blame Steve Jobs for selling all those iPhones......

MP.

I think I read somewhere that the signal strength is reduced outside of business hours

Also the signal strength is not the key - if many users are connected to the same cell, the signal strength may be strong but the download speed can be poor

Why don't you go to the local pub that has WiFi, download the programme you want to see on BBC iPlayer and then go back to the boat and watch in comfort at broadcast quality with no signal issues ?

Its very simple, more users now, best to get 3 dongle with aeriel socket and get it on the roof, i notice it all the time on weekends etc it gets heavy useage, so its slower..during the day its brilliant, evening not as good..its all about how many users there is..

A couple of months ago 3 discontinued their 2g roaming back up from Orange so everything is now concentrated on 3g, could that be slowing things up? Also 3g isn't as good indoors as 2g. Though 3 now have the best 3g coverage things will get better as they, hopefully, increase the number of their 3g transmitters. They had over 4000 in 2007 when they switched to Orange backup but now have over 12000.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I had connection problems using Orange 3G. Crap connection even when showing 5 bars signal strength. I purchased an external antenna from Panorama http://www.panorama.co.uk/uk/products/mobile_broadband_directional.html and this made an amazing improvement. Set up on roof about on a 1 meter pole and pointed at local mast. You can locate the local mast using where am i on Google maps but first switch off GPS. You then get a fix on your position shown as 'withing x meters of' the mast you are connected to.

Works a treat.

Martin

the signal strength is not the key - if many users are connected to the same cell, the signal strength may be strong but the download speed can be poor

Finally watched Waking the Dead perfectly at midnight. So that's the answer - wait until everyone else has gone to bed. And for live football: go to the pub!

AS they occasionally say = SH1t happens

have you talked to others on what systems are also used locally? )assuming that yr not on a penalty to move)

other than that the IT dept used to cite the ID 10T situation....

(i already have my coat handy)

I used to have a 3 Mobile dongle before I went over to the Dark Side and bought an iPad (which, incidentally, I have already discovered doesn't like being inside a steel narrowboat.)

I found this fix to be incredibly useful. Can't remember where I found it, but it worked for me:

right click on the network icon (two little flashing computers in the bottom right hand corner of your screen) and click on connect to a network. Click on the 3 usb modem but with the second button and click on properties. In the window that pops up, click the configure button and another window will pop up showing the maximum speed. Sometimes the maximum speed has been set to the default value of 115200 which will cause your modem to be slow. If this is the case change it to 921600 and click OK.

Having said that, I Googled 3Mobile and couldn't believe the number of dongle customer comments rubbishing the company: slow speeds, poor customer service etc etc etc. Apparently it has all gone tits up since last summer.

I used to have a 3 Mobile dongle before I went over to the Dark Side and bought an iPad (which, incidentally, I have already discovered doesn't like being inside a steel narrowboat.)

I found this fix to be incredibly useful. Can't remember where I found it, but it worked for me:

Having said that, I Googled 3Mobile and couldn't believe the number of dongle customer comments rubbishing the company: slow speeds, poor customer service etc etc etc. Apparently it has all gone tits up since last summer.

Google the other providers (Vodafone, Orange, ...) and you'll get the same thing. So many people (thousands) have had poor connections and even worse response and sevice from the various providers. It can literally take months of phone calls, emails to sort out problems ... or not. I've found even managers of high profile outlets in London don't even understand various aspects of their USB modem packages and will tell you anything to sell you one (or save face!). I think the whole area is thick with thieves.