Anglo welsh.

daveyboi2050

Featured Posts

Hi all....havent had much luck on the holiday front. I was looking at hiring Larch from Middlewich N.B as i have a week off starting next Sat.

But it wasnt free for a full week just the odd few days. So i have been ringing round and wanting to stay in the Cheshire area

most places were to too expensive. But today on the off chance i rang Anglo welsh`s head office and they have some great

deals on which are not advertised on the website. Most of the boats are less that half price for a week. It isnt just from there Trevor or Bunbury bases its all off them.

Ive booked a 6 berth boat with fuel stove onboard from trevor should of been £715 +£50DW and got it for £400.

just thought id let you no incase anyone was looking for a good last min deal.

Sadly we have already booked our boat for this year from Anglo Welsh.

Second time with them for us, went from Trevor last year and going from Great Haywood this year.

Good on you for finding such a good offer

Aww right yes i have always wanted to start from Trevor. I do love the Llangollen.

Ive been through Great heywood. Nice round there.

I see a fellow Scouser too!

Black Prince do "bouncers" where you book well in advance but dont know where you go from till 14 days before holiday, basically they give you what available, if not just ring them and see whats available short notice. We first went with them when we trailed all the way to Norfolk Broads expecting a weeks holiday to find that the boat was a dinosaur and not as advertised, so we refused the boat and got a refund. Spent 30 mins in a layby phoning narrow boat companies and got a weeks holiday from Acton Bridge and went to Chester and back, this was booked in less than 24 houes notice. If you dont mind where your going from ring their booking office and see whats available, we got a massive discount and a free upgrade.

Hi all....havent had much luck on the holiday front. I was looking at hiring Larch from Middlewich N.B as i have a week off starting next Sat.

But it wasnt free for a full week just the odd few days. So i have been ringing round and wanting to stay in the Cheshire area

most places were to too expensive. But today on the off chance i rang Anglo welsh`s head office and they have some great

deals on which are not advertised on the website. Most of the boats are less that half price for a week. It isnt just from there Trevor or Bunbury bases its all off them.

Ive booked a 6 berth boat with fuel stove onboard from trevor should of been £715 +£50DW and got it for £400.

just thought id let you no incase anyone was looking for a good last min deal.

That sounds like a great deal you got there mate. I like black prince too.

never heard about that type of offer and have booked many holidays starting within less than 24 hours!

I understand what you mean about the Norfolk Broads crusiers thou

I do like the broads but the state of some of the hire craft!

leaves a lot to be believed!

Well had a great few days up to now. Been up to Chester & heading back through Bunbury & head up the Llangollen for a day or to. We have moored at the shady oak tonight but its closed so not happy. It was open when we moored up a 4.15 but when we walked over at 8ish it was closed. Never mind a few drinks onboard & an early night. We had a late night out in chester last night.

Well had a great few days up to now. Been up to Chester & heading back through Bunbury & head up the Llangollen for a day or to. We have moored at the shady oak tonight but its closed so not happy. It was open when we moored up a 4.15 but when we walked over at 8ish it was closed. Never mind a few drinks onboard & an early night. We had a late night out in chester last night.

GREAT TRIP FULL STORY POSTED SOON.

GREAT TRIP FULL STORY POSTED SOON.

Hi All hope your all well. I thought it was about time i posted my report from my great trip with Anglo Welsh.

At first we booked merlin from Trevor but after booking the head office called to say that it wasnt yet ready for the

season & we could have an upgrade but i wanted a boat with a stove on with 2 fixed beds without using the dinette.

& they didnt have a boat like this at Trevor. So they suggested Emerald from Bunbury. which is a strech of Canal i have never been on so it turned out quite well.

On arriving at the base the boat wasnt quite ready but the staff were great. Whilst i was boat nosing i watched the staff hose down the boat with washing up liqud and its looked great afterwards which i have never seen any base do before.

On setting off from the base we decided to head to Chester, our first overnight stop was the shady oak pub. had a great meal in there followed by a great night.

Next day we set off early and headed into Chester arriving after Dinnertime. We moored closed to the winding hole by bridge 32 as we didnt want to go up the staircase locks. Was abit unsure about were we moored but soon enough a few boats turned up and turned out to be ok.

Had a great night out in Chester with people off the boat behind.

Sunday morning again we left handy. We had to be back at Bunbury base Monday morning to pick a relation up who would be joining us for the rest of the week. so we decided that we would again moor at the shady oak Sunday night.

Mon we set off and picked our relation up at the base. We also had to have the Fridge changed onboard as was faulty & had a slight problem with the gas but was sorted straight away and we was off up the Staircase locks at Bunbury and headed for Nantwich.

I loved the mooring here great spot yet close to the town.

Tues we headed off to Audlem we moored just below the locks here in order to turn around the next day. We was planning on heading up to Wrenbury but i decided that as we always do the Llangollen we would infact do the Audlem/adderley flight and head to Market Drayton on Wed.

Thurs we left Market Drayton & headed back down the Adderley & Audlem locks though Hack green & and arrived at our destination of Barbridge Junc 8 hours later our Longest cruisng day ever.

As we had a few problems onboard the base said we could return the boat for midday. So after a night of cleaning/packing and drinking the remaining drinks. we potted back to Bunbury. And i must say this was one of the best holidays we have had on the canals. The weather was stunning and i got slighty sunburnt. The boat was great & we covered new cruisng ground.

hopefully back afloat next month.

We did Aqueduct Marina to Chester and back in September last year and the year before onwards to Boat Museum at Ellesmere port. It's a lovely run I think and what's more you moored exactly where we did (although we winded at the winding hole in Chester and backed up under the bridge to be away from the noisy pub there.

Shady Oak has been closed on Monday's during quiet periods since September last year - not sure about the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe we need a meercat boat hiring website?

http://meerkat.comparethemarket.com/specials

Tone

I see they twinned with Market Harborough and not Market Drayton - shame!

Hi we are off on holiday next month for 2 weeks, we are taking over Silver Dusk at Tardebigge.

So many options to choose from any advice or helpful tips would be apreciated.

Do the Avon ring anti-clockwise and don't forget to ask for an anchor and long ropes for the river.

I see they twinned with Market Harborough and not Market Drayton - shame!

Do the Avon ring anti-clockwise and don't forget to ask for an anchor and long ropes for the river.

Thanks Tiny for the tips. Should I be concerned about the flow of both rivers and the tidal heights?

Hi we are off on holiday next month for 2 weeks, we are taking over Silver Dusk at Tardebigge.

So many options to choose from any advice or helpful tips would be apreciated.

Hi.

We hired from there a couple of years ago and had a fantastic time. Did the flight on the first day/afernoon! Well knackered at the end of the day but found the energy to walk back down the flight to the pub.

We then went on to Stratford and down the Avon. From Tewksbury we did the Severn to Stourport in one day. Not that enamoured with rivers really, due to lack of moorings and prepondarance of willow masking any view.

We then went into Birmingham and through Gas street, then down and back to the base traversing the flight for the second time.

Wonderful. Easily achieved in two weeks albeit with some long days cruising. But hey, thats what we enjoy.

Have a great time which ever way you wander.

John. :rolleyes:

Thanks Tiny for the tips. Should I be concerned about the flow of both rivers and the tidal heights?

They are non tidal on the parts you use. If they are in flood you don't go. The Severn (which you head down) tends to flood over a number of days after rain in Wales but on the Avon, which is smaller and more cozy, levels can go up and down overnight and has boards at locks indicating water heights.

The Avon also has two lock keepers who will advise you, these being at Tewkesbury (where you leave the Severn) and Evesham. The Tewkesbury keeper also has moorings available (at a small overnight fee) if you want to visit the town. He will also sell you a licence for the Avon. Once on the waterways a map will show you where the moorings are. There are moorings at towns and near villages on the Lower Avon and at those places plus at many locks on the upper Avon. Upper Avon lock gear is French made and a class above other stuff.

The current on the Avon at normal levels is not that much but give yourself time to enjoy the river and stop en route as you please. Likewise the Stratford canal is very pretty until Shirley lift bridge. The W&B the other side of Wast Hill tunnel is nice to but a little less cozy as it dives down the hill towards Worcester where, if mooring, many prefer to moor on the river above the main town bridge, upstream of where the canal comes out.

They are non tidal on the parts you use. If they are in flood you don't go. The Severn (which you head down) tends to flood over a number of days after rain in Wales but on the Avon, which is smaller and more cozy, levels can go up and down overnight and has boards at locks indicating water heights.

The Avon also has two lock keepers who will advise you, these being at Tewkesbury (where you leave the Severn) and Evesham. The Tewkesbury keeper also has moorings available (at a small overnight fee) if you want to visit the town. He will also sell you a licence for the Avon. Once on the waterways a map will show you where the moorings are. There are moorings at towns and near villages on the Lower Avon and at those places plus at many locks on the upper Avon. Upper Avon lock gear is French made and a class above other stuff.

The current on the Avon at normal levels is not that much but give yourself time to enjoy the river and stop en route as you please. Likewise the Stratford canal is very pretty until Shirley lift bridge. The W&B the other side of Wast Hill tunnel is nice to but a little less cozy as it dives down the hill towards Worcester where, if mooring, many prefer to moor on the river above the main town bridge, upstream of where the canal comes out.

Thanks Tiny and all for being so helpful. Hopefully there won't be any rain in Wales before we start our cruise but if there is we will find somewhere else to go probably another ring? By the way should you see us on Silver Dusk next month say hallo. You never know there might be something left in the bottle!!!

Andri

The Avon also has two lock keepers who will advise you, these being at Tewkesbury (where you leave the Severn) and Evesham. The Tewkesbury keeper also has moorings available (at a small overnight fee) if you want to visit the town.

Tiny, just to update that information, Evesham lock no longer has a lock keeper (from 11 April until further notice) and boaters will need to operate the lock themselves.

The notice regarding this can be downloaded from the Avon Navigation Trust site here:

http://www.avonnavig...2003%202011.pdf

Very helpful information you have given in this post. We have had to change from the Warwickshire Ring to the Avon Ring thanks to the closure of the bridge on the Oxford Canal in May. Need to do some fast learning about this ring! :rolleyes:

Stewey

Tiny, just to update that information, Evesham lock no longer has a lock keeper (from 11 April until further notice) and boaters will need to operate the lock themselves.

The notice regarding this can be downloaded from the Avon Navigation Trust site here:

http://www.avonnavig...2003%202011.pdf

Very helpful information you have given in this post. We have had to change from the Warwickshire Ring to the Avon Ring thanks to the closure of the bridge on the Oxford Canal in May. Need to do some fast learning about this ring! :rolleyes:

Stewey

Thanks for the info Stewey, my doc says I've to lose weight anyway so whats a problem with one more lock. Like you all relevant info about the Avon ring will be useful.

Andri