Gas Safety Certificate

Featured Posts

So just because they're fussy doesn't necessarily mean they're drumming up trade - all of the above work was at their cost.

But they were creating work for themselves, thus keeping themselves in a job at the expense of their employer and therefore everyone who has a maintenance contract.

each engineer that's come has criticised the work done by previous engineers to the extent that in the last two weeks we've had...

Tony

When I was CORGI registered as a one-man-band emergency plumbing and heating engineer a lot of my work was putting right what gas board installation 'engineers' had got wrong.

I don't know if it's the same now with Gas Safe, but in those days, only one person at each depot needed to be CORGI registered and that was probably the manager. The level of skills, care and workmanship of those on the road varied greatly.

Tone

When I was CORGI registered as a one-man-band emergency plumbing and heating engineer a lot of my work was putting right what gas board installation 'engineers' had got wrong.

I don't know if it's the same now with Gas Safe, but in those days, only one person at each depot needed to be CORGI registered and that was probably the manager. The level of skills, care and workmanship of those on the road varied greatly.

Tone

Well, I'm certainly more impressed with the latest guy than any of the others. He's the one who said "Where's the fire stop?". He's the one who said "Why aren't these flue pieces screwed together, only clamped?".

He's the one who got most upset when I asked him "So how long have you been a plumber then?" ;)

Tony

My mum just had her gas fire serviced with identical observations, however the conclusions were different.

The examiner cut the gas pipe going to the fire and capped it. He also put a warning notice across the fire to the effect that it mustn't be used. he also handed her a sheet of paper which stated the same.

The only difference is that she lives in a council house, so all the scaffolding and cowl removal will be done at great expense to the council instead of to her.

Tony

My mum had a service contract with BG which she paid for by DD the only problem I could see was that they came every 13 months to do the service. Do 11 services and get paid for 12

But if he is not Gas Safe registered he would be breaking the law even doing that because if he isn't registered he can't legally crack the test point blank.

Tone

Tone

that was the point I made in my penultimate para. When invited to put the point (re requiring registration to break into the test point of a private boat) to law, HSC& CORGI declined.

Paul M

We have a gas safety cert (Gas Safe) done each year because we like to be safe. You don't have to do one. The BSC examination is NOT a full gas safety certificate and you only get an 'Appliance Record'.

It is correct that all rented property, houses, flats etc, have by law to have a valid gas certificate done each year. It is also correct to say that all hire boats have to have a full gas check each year. As an opinion only, I would like to see all boats fitted with lpg having a full Gas Safe check annually in tandem with the licence renewal. This is for the benefit of the boatowners and the wider publics safety. Would not like to be moored near to an unsafe boat that wen't bang. Have seen to many boats on the cut with gas installations that are severe hazards to say the least. Before someone says 'nanny state thinking', some regs are there for a reason.

PS: Not a gas engineer.

Surely you've contradicted yourself? Yes some regs are there for a reason, and the regs state that LPG systems on privately owned boats are tested every 4 years as part of the BSC.

Bubble tester are fine, but I have seen them fitted the wrong way round, no fluid in the bowl and the wrong size tester fitted for the size of the system.

Do bubble testers come in different sizes for testing different size systems? I have only seen one size of Alde bubble tester with either 8mm, 10mm compression fittings.

http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=53

Or is there another brand of bubble tester which comes in different sizes that I am unaware of?

Edited by blackrose

The one aspect of all this is, can I, as a boat owner, but not Gas Safe registered, do my own soundness test on my boat's gas system at my own risk and demonstrate to a BBS SS fuhrer that it's OK?

Can't find anything that prevents me doing it so far.

Tone

The one aspect of all this is, can I, as a boat owner, but not Gas Safe registered, do my own soundness test on my boat's gas system at my own risk and demonstrate to a BBS SS fuhrer that it's OK?

Can't find anything that prevents me doing it so far.

Tone

Tone

as you know, if your boat is "private", within the meaning of the GS(I&U)R's, there is no requirement to be registered. You should of course be competent to carry out any work on your gas system, and be prepared to prove that competence should an accident occur.

As to you demonstrating a soundness test that would be a matter between you and your examiner.

BTW what is a "BBS SS fuhrer"?

Paul M

But if he is not Gas Safe registered he would be breaking the law even doing that because if he isn't registered he can't legally crack the test point blank.

Tone

Can someone please point me to the the legislation which states that someone who is not GS registered can't legally crack the test point. Not arguing one way or the other but would be interested to know.

Thanks

Can someone please point me to the the legislation which states that someone who is not GS registered can't legally crack the test point. Not arguing one way or the other but would be interested to know.

Thanks

Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be competent and a Gas Safe Registered engineer [3].

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/gas_law.htm

Tone

Tone

as you know, if your boat is "private", within the meaning of the GS(I&U)R's, there is no requirement to be registered. You should of course be competent to carry out any work on your gas system, and be prepared to prove that competence should an accident occur.

Tiz still as woz then.

As to you demonstrating a soundness test that would be a matter between you and your examiner.

BTW what is a "BBS SS fuhrer"?

Paul M

Any examiner far more full of his own piss and importance than common sense. I've had the misfortune to meet a couple.

Tone

Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be competent and a Gas Safe Registered engineer [3].

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/gas_law.htm

Tone

But under 'General interpretation and application' of the The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations it states that nothing in these regs shall apply in relation to....

"(5) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting on—

(a)a self-propelled vehicle except when such a vehicle is—

(i)hired out in the course of a business; or

(ii)made available to members of the public in the course of a business carried on from that vehicle;

(b)a sea-going ship;

©a vessel not requiring a national or international load line certificate except when such vessel is—

(i)hired out in the course of a business;

(ii)made available to members of the public in the course of a business carried out from that vessel; or

(iii)used primarily for domestic or residential purposes;"

Therefore the only BSS examiners that need to be GS registered are those that work on hireboats etc and residential boats - which is what the BSS requires. Or have I missed something?

Edited by Speedwheel

But under 'General interpretation and application' of the The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations it states that nothing in these regs shall apply in relation to....

Therefore the only BSS examiners that need to be GS registered are those that work on hireboats etc and residential boats - which is what the BSS requires. Or have I missed something?

Since when was a boat a vehicle?

tone

There is no reference to a boat being a vehicle. 5(a) refers to vehicles. 5© refers to vessels not requiring a national or international load line certificate i.e. boats.

Edit too slow.

5 c (iii) would prove you right. Thanks for the correction.

However, doesn't this also mean that all gas safety regulations themselves don't therefore apply to leisure use narrowboats?

Tone

5 c (iii) would prove you right. Thanks for the correction.

However, doesn't this also mean that all gas safety regulations themselves don't therefore apply to leisure use narrowboats?

Tone

I don't know if it is right - there may well be something I have missed or misunderstood.

The thought that all gas safety regs might not applying to leisure boats did cross my mind too. It would certainly explain one or two of the 'professional' installations I have seen.

• 6 years later...

The requirement for a Gas Inspection on a boat is simply broken down as below:

Privately owned and operated boat (Live-aboard or not) with LPG - Only requires a Gas Tightness Test as part of the BSS Certification every 4 years (but would benefit from an optional annual inspection).

Privately owned and rented out (Live-aboard or not) with LPG - Requires a Gas Safety Check annually for all appliances & Landlords Certificates..

Privately owned under 3rd management (shared Owner) with LPG - Requires a Gas Safety Check annually for all appliances & Landlords Certificates.

Hire Fleet Vessels - Require a Gas Safety Check annually for all appliances & Landlords Certificates.

Hope this helps.

Steve Williams - GSR Engineer (marine LPG)