Qualified RYA Helms instructor

Jim Jam

Featured Posts

• 1 year later...

You'll be limiting your options I think if you insist on a boat mover with RYA Instructor qualifications.

I'm guessing that many of the "usual suspects" do not have this.

As has been said, Nigel Carton on the forum does boat moves, (I have no idea if he holds certificates, but he moves an awful lot of boats!), as does Denis Boyle, who used to post on ghere as "DenBoy" but I don't think is still active on the forum.

There are some others on here who have done it occasionally, I believe.

EDIT:

By coincidence, I noted this thread is also reactivated today.

Another name for you there, (but it seems James has got his mobile no wrong - so you'll need to PM him!....)

Edited by alan_fincher

You'll be limiting your options I think if you insist on a boat mover with RYA Instructor qualifications.

I think rambling ruby simply reactivated an earlier thread from February 2011 to put her request for help with moving her boat. I don't know that being a RYA Helmsman Instructor has a lot to do with ability to steer a boat though - it certainly doesn't figure in the RYA's requirements for becoming one. . :rolleyes:

Edited by Tam & Di

• 3 weeks later...

I think rambling ruby simply reactivated an earlier thread from February 2011 to put her request for help with moving her boat. I don't know that being a RYA Helmsman Instructor has a lot to do with ability to steer a boat though - it certainly doesn't figure in the RYA's requirements for becoming one. . :rolleyes:

One or two boat movers in the Links Directory under 'Other websites', including me!

Strikes me that you would be in safer hands woth an experienced boater rather han someone with a bit of RYA paper. Some of the things they teach are plain stupid, like you cannot "work" the helm to assist turning and staying a set distance from the towpath even on bends. I would like to see one of their tutors on a full length working boat (but not mine)!

Strikes me that you would be in safer hands woth an experienced boater rather han someone with a bit of RYA paper. Some of the things they teach are plain stupid, like you cannot "work" the helm to assist turning and staying a set distance from the towpath even on bends. I would like to see one of their tutors on a full length working boat (but not mine)!

I did the course in 2006, and one of the things I learned was that pumping the tiller helped to turn the boat. I presume that's what you mean by "work" the helm. Don't recall having to stay a set distance from towpath either. Perhaps different instructors have different interpretations.

• 6 months later...

As said above, I have been playing on boats for 30 years, and well as 10 years on narrowboats, looking for anyone who would like help moving boats, delivering them etc, pm me

Hi JimJam

My husband and I live in South Africa and our narrowboat IMVUBU (54 ft)is in Marple. We are looking for someone to move it South - to Coventry for the end Aprilor beginning May. We are wondering how this normally works and if you would be interested.

Hi JimJam

My husband and I live in South Africa and our narrowboat IMVUBU (54 ft)is in Marple. We are looking for someone to move it South - to Coventry for the end Aprilor beginning May. We are wondering how this normally works and if you would be interested.

Hi OP - - and welcome to the forum :)

You may also like to get quotations from Matty40s and Nigel Carton (both on this forum) - they are both experienced boat movers