Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering 9th-10th july

giveitsomeoil

Featured Posts

Just a note to all,

Traditionally in recent years a collection of Historic Narrowboats normally decends upon Alvecote in the weeks running up to the Braunston Rally! However this years early IWA National being in Burton upon Trent, puts Alvecote as a useful midway for those attending both rallies! For those who are unaware we offer a free mooring for Historic Passing Craft and are always keen to accomodate boaters in our pub the 'Samuel Barlow'.

This year due to the lack of historic boat events in July, we are holding a summer fayre in aid of local charities at Alvecote. A good number of Historic boats have already expressed an interest in attending. We hope to extend the invitation to all boaters with Prime moorings and boat parade for historic craft! There will be events on site all weekend, live music Fri, Sat and Sun Upstairs in the Barlow which will be a Reasonably priced Boaters Bar with plenty of loacl Ales from the Keg! open mic also so bring your Instruments!

We hope this to capture some of the spirit of boat gatherings of years gone by which can be somewhat lost with many events today!

No Need to book and moorings will be on a first come first served basis. With all historic craft taking the waterspace outside of the pub.

No entrance fee

Fri 8th eve, Sat 9th , Sun 10th JULY

Hope to see many of you once again this Year :cheers:

For details Contact the Marina 01827 898585

We will be there with both Nuneaton and Brighton open to the public - so we could do with a bankside mooring please. We also hope to have members available to help over the weekend as required.

And no, we won't bugger off like we did last year, promise.

Hello!

I'm not lucky enough to have a working boat, but just wanted to say thanks.

My mate Dan and I turned up late one evening, last summer. Managed to squeeze my 40' boat in side-on at the end of all the working boats, and had an excellent evening in the Samuel Barlow. Everyone we met was really nice and I reckon if there's anywhere capable of having a good old fashioned knees-up it's probably there.

Hope to make it back somewhen this year.

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

The plans for this event are coming together nicely, so I thought I'd just bounce it back up the list to remind people. I'll leave the Alvecote people to do their own publicity but I know Caz and Paul at the Samuel Barlow are working hard to make it worth a visit by water or road.

• 3 months later...

I got the impression from Martin (Kestrel) and Sam (Verbena) that it is certainly going ahead, and what's more it looks like we'll be there, following a snap decision at the weekend to take Chertsey over to Alvecote for Martin to paint it.

Should look well then, what livery have you chosen?

Won't be there as I have other commitments on the Leicester line. Hope you all have fun.

You'll have to wait and see... I've told quite a few people now but I'm not going to post it on the forum til it's done!

• 2 weeks later...

I went for a stroll along the towpath this morning, and despite the heavens opening, it was nice to see the working boats in the Marina.

IMG_5735.jpg

Unlike this chap, I neglected to bring my brolly.

IMG_5728.jpg

Since I have been lurking on the forum I have read many posts about BW's "authorative" approach to rules and reg's, but this is taking it too far ;)

IMG_5733.jpg

A few pictures from today:

IMG_0455-600x450.jpg

Best seen as a slide show (Button top right)

Enjoy

Tim

Nice set of pictures Tim.

Its amazing how many boats are going back to what they assume are correct liveries.

Is the livery on "Darley" supposed to be accurate? If so then it strongly contradicts the front cover picture of Dec 1949 "Lock & Quay"

Nice set of pictures Tim.

Its amazing how many boats are going back to what they assume are correct liveries.

Is the livery on "Darley" supposed to be accurate? If so then it strongly contradicts the front cover picture of Dec 1949 "Lock & Quay"

Oh boy are you going to have fun with mine then Laurence.

But what you/we mean by correct and accurate? Would you insist on a livery that the particular boat has actually worn? (I have no proof and these is little likelihood that Chertsey has ever been painted as I am currently having it painted). Would you insist on it being contemporary with other aspects of the boat, such as a replacement cabin or engine( (so no pre-1960 livery on a boat with a 1960 engine - I'd be forever condemned to wear the blue and yellow). Or do you simply mean a livery which the boat could conceivably have had (in which case I'd be OK).

Having in my pre-ownership days been a bit of a stickler for not only accuracy but consistency, I realise now that the latter at least is a lost cause. My boat's hull (1930s), cabin (1970s/80s) and engine (1960s) all represent different periods of its life and that in itself is enough coherence for me. If I were to paint it in its 1980s colours it would look awful (no signwriting for a start) and would mean very little to very very few people.

I hope however that the scheme I have chosen is at least internally accurate (based on photos of other GU boats). I have chosen it partly because the idea tickled me, and partly because I like the colours.

The main rival scheme was the 1937 two blues, as Chertsey is one of the few boats to have worn the Fenchurch Street address (which I believe was only in use January - April 1937). Not only does the very un-1937 cabin kill that, but I really don't like the turquoise!

Oh boy are you going to have fun with mine then Laurence.

But what you/we mean by correct and accurate? Would you insist on a livery that the particular boat has actually worn? (I have no proof and these is little likelihood that Chertsey has ever been painted as I am currently having it painted). Would you insist on it being contemporary with other aspects of the boat, such as a replacement cabin or engine( (so no pre-1960 livery on a boat with a 1960 engine - I'd be forever condemned to wear the blue and yellow). Or do you simply mean a livery which the boat could conceivably have had (in which case I'd be OK).

Having in my pre-ownership days been a bit of a stickler for not only accuracy but consistency, I realise now that the latter at least is a lost cause. My boat's hull (1930s), cabin (1970s/80s) and engine (1960s) all represent different periods of its life and that in itself is enough coherence for me. If I were to paint it in its 1980s colours it would look awful (no signwriting for a start) and would mean very little to very very few people.

I hope however that the scheme I have chosen is at least internally accurate (based on photos of other GU boats). I have chosen it partly because the idea tickled me, and partly because I like the colours.

The main rival scheme was the 1937 two blues, as Chertsey is one of the few boats to have worn the Fenchurch Street address (which I believe was only in use January - April 1937). Not only does the very un-1937 cabin kill that, but I really don't like the turquoise!

The reason I noted "Darley" was that that boat was painted in I think a unique BTW livery which the owner may have tried to copy. There are some very good B/W photos of that boat at Gloucester and the livery is not as depicted on the boat at the show, The Cabin sides were seperated with a pronounced black line from the yellow panels, also the liner funnel is not as in the photo.

With all old boats it is a matter of compromise, almost all are varied from the original build and cannot without immense expense and effort be returned to "as built" state. What I do not like is mis representation depiceted as "original", ie a FMC boat in red, yellow & green livery with a decorated deck board, or roses on the red cabin panels. Our own boat follows the basics of BW traffic livery but is changed to suit our odd height cabin and our name. Museum boats are the most important to be accurate, but private owned historical boats are just that, private boats to which the owner can do as they wish.

Then there are the frauds about ...... so called "replicas", modern boats carrying old company names, and of course a wooden flyboat which definatly is not 100 years plus old and also not only the survivor!!

Has anyone been brave enough yet to painy a GUCCCo motor or butty in the 1953 "Coronation Livery"?

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Well you may not approve of Chertsey then. It will by and large, as far as we can manage, be an accurate representation of a particular livery - BUT there will be little touches reflecting later stages of the boat's life - a heart on the cabin slide is one of the later additions I wish to retain, as a sort of homage to its later ownership, and in the same vein I did consider roses on the deckboard, which it certainly had from the 1970s onwards.

It would therefore turn out as a kind of pastiche (in a non pejorative sense) but is a pastiche of different periods *within* the paint scheme any worse than the naturally occurring pastiche of different periods comprised by the boat itself?