Can You Identify A Boat Declared As Having No Home Mooring From it's BW Licence.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Absolute 100% certain!

GG-001-004 Aqueduct 1, River Frays

GG-001-006 Bridge 1, Trout Lane Footbridge

GG-001-007 Aqueduct 2

GG-001-010 Aqueduct 3, River Colne

GG-001-015-L Embankment 1

GG-002-001 Aqueduct 4, Colne Brooke

GG-002-002 Court Lane Road Weir 1

GG-002-003 Bridge 2, Reeds Bridge

GG-002-008-L Cutting 1, Thorney Lane Cutting

GG-002-009-R Cutting 2, The Ridgeway Cutting

GG-003-001 Bridge 4, Meads Bridge

GG-003-005-L Cutting 5, West Concrete Works Cutting

GG-004-003 Bridge 6, Hollow Hill

GG-004-007-R Cutting 6, Parsonage Farm Cutting

GG-004-009-R Embankment 4

GG-005-001 Aqueduct 5

GG-006-001 Bridge 8, Trenches Footbridge

GG-006-003 Bridge 9, St Marys Road

GG-006-004 Bridge 10, Middlegreen Road

Ive never noticed these numbers before, Ill check whats on our disc when I get home tonight, So im expecting Highline to be GG-004-003

Ive never noticed these numbers before, Ill check whats on our disc when I get home tonight, So im expecting Highline to be GG-004-003

The mooring code may differ in the last digits, because that code refers to the bridge, and the mooring probably has its own code.

Interesting!

CE is the code for Clarence Dock.

I realised that today. We are at winter moorings in Clarence Dock but on my licence application in December I declared as a CCer. Obviosly BW don't take any notice of the application form but look at their records so even though the mooring is only until 31 March, although we have given notice that we are leaving next week, they assume we shall be here for the year.

I realised that today. We are at winter moorings in Clarence Dock but on my licence application in December I declared as a CCer. Obviosly BW don't take any notice of the application form but look at their records so even though the mooring is only until 31 March, although we have given notice that we are leaving next week, they assume we shall be here for the year.

More interesting is the fact that, if the patrol officers use these codes to establish your mooring status, they will assume you are not a ccer and, therefore, assume that there is no requirement for you to indulge in "bona fide navigation".

On the mounting "evidence" I think all I'm now prepared to say is....

If the licence bears a "BW-xxx-007" code, then the likelihood is that it's owners have declared themselves as not having a home mooring.

BUT

The reverse does not always seem to be true, perhaps because of laxness in the procedures when a boat first moves into that situation, when it has previously had a home mooring.

Unless someone can prove otherwise, I'm inclined to think it is reasonably safe to assume "BW-xxx-007" means no home mooring declared, (and that BW-007-xxx means something else!!), but not that this is a way of identifying every boat with a CC declaration.

That said, it does seem to have been pretty reliable for 21 boats out of 21, but perhaps I just got "lucky"!

Today's dog walking was Hemel Hempstead, Apsley & Nash Mills.

So despite the comments I got on the forum yesterday, I decided to see if there was a similar pattern of codes on the boats down there on visitor moorings.

I didn't count exactly, but at least 20 boats carried the BW-065-007 code.

Curiously, like yesterday, just one that had another BW-xxx-007 variant - in that case BW-013-007.

I'm fairly convinced now that it is more than a trend.

As an aside, for anybody who remembers Nash Mills, other than the shell of the "house" part in the middle, it is now no more than lots of heaps of rubble, which the demolition people are steadily working their way through with the big crushing machine.

Like Apsley before it, Nash is going to look remarkably different in a couple of years time.

As an aside, for anybody who remembers Nash Mills, other than the shell of the "house" part in the middle, it is now no more than lots of heaps of rubble, which the demolition people are steadily working their way through with the big crushing machine.

Like Apsley before it, Nash is going to look remarkably different in a couple of years time.

Have they left the one builing in the middle of the site standing Alan ? When I drove pat a few days ago it was desolate apart from the one structure that seems to be left along. I wonder what the story is ?

Les

The whole thing was built around what I believe was actually called Nash Mills House.

I think it was once the Dickinson family home, but at some stage got taken over as offices, (and possibly the labs, I'm not sure ?).

Presumably as part of the new housing development that is to be incorporated ?

It looks fairly desolate, without windows, I think, and open at one end too.

But I guess that's the plan.

Unless it conveniently manages to collapse without explanation of course, when I imagine they could make even more profit out of the land it currently occupies.

I last worked for Dickinsons almost exactly 30 years ago, when Nash was still a thriving board mill, and it was systems for the paper and board side of the business I was concentrating on at the time I left.

It seems strange to think that soon only a couple of buioldings will be all that remains here, and at Apsley. Still rather more trace than there is now of Croxley Mills, though!

EDITED TO ADD A COUPLE OF PICTURES.

Sorry about quality, it was a rainy horrible day, and the dog kept pulling on his lead making photography a pain!....

Nash_Mills_House_1.jpg

Nash_Mills_House_2.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

BW have just announced that the purple ones were not made with waterproof ink. So, you may have an invisible licence soon.

waterscrape quote:

Colour doesn’t matter!

The BW licensing team is turning over small as well as large stones in its quest to cut costs without detriment to customer service. A recent slip up in a print specification resulted in purple becoming this year’s colour of choice for licence disks. Unfortunately, the purple ink turns out not to be waterproof. In actual fact, now that enforcement checks look at the boat index number rather than the disk, the colour is immaterial and once stocks of coloured stationery are exhausted, disks will become black and white. For the next few months, boaters can expect disks to be red or green. The only thing that’s important is that you continue to display your disk as that’s what gives other paying customers the confidence that they’re not subsidising others.

Tone

The only thing that’s important is that you continue to display your disk as that’s what gives other paying customers the confidence that they’re not subsidising others.

Do I sense a need for even more popcorn!.......

The only thing that’s important is that you continue to display your disk as that’s what gives other paying customers the confidence that they’re not subsidising others.

So they're finally admitting that the only use, for the licence disk, now, is to satisfy the needs of the curtain twitcher.

busybody-edna-birch.jpg

So they're finally admitting that the only use, for the licence disk, now, is to satisfy the needs of the curtain twitcher.

busybody-edna-birch.jpg

Which is bizarre, as we have had people like Harecastle tunnel keepers insist on reading the detail from ours, saying they are not issued with any other way of checking the licensed status of a boat.

Arse and elbow, one imagines!

(Should one have any idea who the lady is who appears to be sucking a wasp, as I'll admit I do not!....)

Edited by alan_fincher

Which is bizarre, as we have had people like Harecastle tunnel keepers insist on reading the detail from ours, saying they are not issued with any other way of checking the licensed status of a boat.

Arse and elbow, one imagines!

(Should one have any idea who the lady is who appears to be sucking a wasp, as I'll admit I do not!....)

The Patrol Officers are issued with the tablet thingies. My licence was tucked safely in my wallet, if anyone else from BW wished to have a look.

It's the busybody from Emmerdale, btw, can't remember her name...Betty?

ETA - Just checked the url of the picture. It's Edna Birch.

Edited by carlt

It's the busybody from Emmerdale, btw, can't remember her name...Betty?

ETA - Just checked the url of the picture. It's Edna Birch.

That's a relief - I would have been quite worried if I did know who she was then.

hi All,

To hopefully clarify things a little, the format for BW Functional Locations goes like this:

First two characters identify the waterway .e.g GU = Grand Union, GA = Grand Union Aylesbury arm, TM = Trent and Mersey etc..

Next set of three characters identifies the kilometre length, so 01 is the first, 025 is the 25th kilometre and so on.

The next set of three characters pertains to an asset on that kilometre length, these can be things such as a bridge, a lock, a pump-out station and a whole host of other things.

For auctions, there will often be another two digit number which is the mooring slot at a particular functional location.

Codes starting with 'BW' would I guess, be related to licences as there is not a waterway assigned to the code 'BW'. I'll see if I can find out when I'm back in the office later in the week.

@Alan

What did / do you make of all the trees felled down by Fishery Inn? I was a little put out at first, but I like it now, you can see the river much better, and the free wood was good :)

Cheers,

Paul

So... if BW denotes not having a mooring on BW waters, what does BW-010-007 denote?

(Mine)

Tone

(I have this on very good authority - honest!.....)

It's a special code reserved only for people who see no urgency to renew their BSS until their next license actually becomes due!