Maureen Shaw - Wardle's Lock

Doorman

Featured Posts

I came across this photo of Maureen Shaw at Wardle's Lock cottage, taken in summer 2009.

As Maureen's health was quite poor at that time, I wonder how she is doing now.

14dlzme.jpg

Mike

We saw her last summer, when she was recovering from treatment for Bowel Cancer.

I came across this photo of Maureen Shaw at Wardle's Lock cottage, taken in summer 2009.

14dlzme.jpg

Mike

The other half had a good natter with her last october ..whilst passing through . :)

Following this request for information I contacted a friend who lives in Middlewitch to see how she is getting on.

It is not very good news unfortunately and I dont think be seeing her at the lock cottage again, hopefully we may see her at the lock occasionally.

I have copied his reply below.

Hi Brian, Maureen has had a really bad year, as you may know she had a large operation for cancer early last year and it was taking her a long time to recover. She couldn't walk well because her knees are bad and need replacing. The medical people would not do her knees until she had made a better recovery from the cancer op.She has since been in and out of hospital with various complications. Her daughter Sharron (who lives in Thailand) came back over in November to stay with Maureen while she continued to recover.

Just before Christmas when Maureen & Sharron were preparing to go away for a few days Maureen fell and broke her hip. She was taken to a hospital in Chester where she still is. While in hospital she has had trouble with abscesses in her mouth and has had to have another op on her mouth to deal with the abscesses and also to have her jaw reset.

Before the hip accident, while on one of her hospital stays Maureen made the decision that she could not go on living in the cottage on her own so Sharron has been sorting out alternative accommodation for her and when she comes out of hospital she will go into sheltered accomodation. It is an excellent place on St Anns Rd, Middlewich with as much (or as little) help as she needs and not too far from people she knows.

Following this request for information I contacted a friend who lives in Middlewitch to see how she is getting on.

It is not very good news unfortunately and I dont think be seeing her at the lock cottage again, hopefully we may see her at the lock occasionally.

I have copied his reply below.

Hi Brian, Maureen has had a really bad year, as you may know she had a large operation for cancer early last year and it was taking her a long time to recover. She couldn't walk well because her knees are bad and need replacing. The medical people would not do her knees until she had made a better recovery from the cancer op.She has since been in and out of hospital with various complications. Her daughter Sharron (who lives in Thailand) came back over in November to stay with Maureen while she continued to recover.

Just before Christmas when Maureen & Sharron were preparing to go away for a few days Maureen fell and broke her hip. She was taken to a hospital in Chester where she still is. While in hospital she has had trouble with abscesses in her mouth and has had to have another op on her mouth to deal with the abscesses and also to have her jaw reset.

Before the hip accident, while on one of her hospital stays Maureen made the decision that she could not go on living in the cottage on her own so Sharron has been sorting out alternative accommodation for her and when she comes out of hospital she will go into sheltered accomodation. It is an excellent place on St Anns Rd, Middlewich with as much (or as little) help as she needs and not too far from people she knows.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply!

Is Maureen in the Countess of Chester hospital? If so, we'll try and find out what ward she's in and send her a 'get well soon' card. She will be missed at the cottage and hopefully she'll find comfort in her new home.

Mike

The dog is no longer alive.

Sue

Hi Sue,

sad news about the dog, although the one in the picture belonged to a boater who had just stopped to have a chat with Maureen.

Mike

Is Maureen in the Countess of Chester hospital? If so, we'll try and find out what ward she's in and send her a 'get well soon' card. She will be missed at the cottage and hopefully she'll find comfort in her new home.

Mike

Hi Sue,

sad news about the dog, although the one in the picture belonged to a boater who had just stopped to have a chat with Maureen.

Mike

I did wonder if it had changed colour :unsure:

Sue

We are sad to hear that Maureen's health has deteriorated. As many will know, Maureen is one of life's characters and we will miss her whenever we go through "Maureen's Lock." Who will tell 'em off now? :)

Edited by Guest

Mike

Sorry I don't know

Had a few rollockings of Maureen in the last few years for opening the paddle too quickly..

As we are moored relatively close to there, it has been a pleasure to see her take control of the situation on many occasions when the numerous hire boat yards in the area are trying to get half the population of the UK and Scandinavia to Langollen in a 4 day window..

Will miss you around the Wardle Maureen as will my wife..

Edited by sam pig

• 2 months later...

14dlzme.jpg

We passed through this week and spoke to Maureen's neighbour and also to some friends of hers. She is in sheltered accomodation, recovering from her broken hip. In the meantime, we note that the brasses have been removed from the door of Wardle Lock cottage, suggesting that we have seen the last of Maureen canalside. What a smashing lady!

Mike

Edited by homer2911

The latest I've heard is that the cottage has been emptied by the daughter, all of Maureen's posessions have been moved into storage.

Unfortunately Maureen's condition is not good, apparently she beleives she is on a boat and doesn't really know what's going on around her.

Very sad news.

I truly enjoyed being rollocked by Maureen, it made me and the missus take very special care going through in case we fell foul of her!

We got a nod of approval from her - B)

Ok - nothing to do with me - my partner does have skillz for winding in tricky places, all those years of Pirate Club boating around Camden might have something to do with it.

The latest I've heard is that the cottage has been emptied by the daughter, all of Maureen's posessions have been moved into storage.

Unfortunately Maureen's condition is not good, apparently she beleives she is on a boat and doesn't really know what's going on around her.

Very sad news.

Sad for those of us who have enjoyed Maureen's company over the years, but for Maureen herself, if she thinks she is on a boat, she will certainly be a damn site happier than thinking she is in a hospital!

• Greenie 1

Sad for those of us who have enjoyed Maureen's company over the years, but for Maureen herself, if she thinks she is on a boat, she will certainly be a damn site happier than thinking she is in a hospital!

Agreed.

Agreed.

Me too. Very sad that Maureen's condition has deteriorated, but as Dave says, if she thinks she is on a boat then I'm sure she will be happy.

Edited by Guest

I`m very sad to read of Maureen`s bad health and just hope she recovers soon and is able to visit the canals that have been her life.

I`ve had some good evenings in the pub with her in the past and i`m sure like many others enjoyed her company and stories.

Very sad indeed.

Yet another canal character who will be greatly missed and the only compensation is what Dave rightly said, is that Maureen now believes she is where she belongs, on a boat!

Mike

Always good to meet Maureen as we pass through her canal. In 2005 Starling and Ethel passed the cottage and worked down Middlewich locks and Maureen worked some gates. It wasn't an everyday experience, it seems, as she brought her camera. In addition to picture below, there are more of the boats and some of Maureen here

ADDED an afterthought: Maureen's Waterways World Article has some fascinating recollections and photographs: WW April 2002 p87: link to WW article search here and a viewable copy for WW subscribers here

L1126_20050707_0088.JPG

Edited by PeterScott

:closedeyes:

Always good to meet Maureen as we pass through her canal. In 2005 Starling and Ethel passed the cottage and worked down Middlewich locks and Maureen worked some gates. It wasn't an everyday experience, it seems, as she brought her camera. In addition to picture below, there are more of the boats and some of Maureen here

L1126_20050707_0088.JPG

I love the phrase 'as we pass through her canal' - very, very, fitting!