Mooring around Wolverhampton

kbarber

Featured Posts

Does anyone have experience of mooring in the Aldersley/Autherley areas please? Our planning suggests we'll need to leave the boat somewhere in that neck of the woods for a fortnight in July (within reach of Wolverhampton station). Are we likely to find a boat still there when we get back? Alternatively, are there reasonable bus services from the towns/villages just south of there? (We'd arrive up on a Sunday evening, which I know isn't the best time to find a bus anywhere outside a big city.)

Any experiences gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Hi

I suggest that you contact Oxley Marine and arange a temporary mooring. They're a yard on the Staffs and Worcs within 100 yards of Autherley. Wolverhampton station is prbably a couple of miles away. Don't think I'd leave my boat on the towpath for over long unattended, tho' I don't want to add to the paranoia about bandit country. PM me if I can help further.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Back again

Oxley Marine..01902 789522

Dave

Are you heading north or south on the S&W ?

Our usually "dumping ground" is Compton, south of Wolves a couple of miles. It's generally OK here either above the lock, (you do sometimes have to fight for spaces with the CC'rs) or below the visitor moorings .

Does anyone have experience of mooring in the Aldersley/Autherley areas please? ....

Hi

How about Brewood - a few miles up the Shroppie with extensive 48 hour visitor moorings, but plenty of towpath moorings to the north.

I had to leave a boat there last January due to the ice and it easy to reach by bus from Wolverhampton bus station (20 mins) - there are various routes and operators but the Arriva 76 from Wolverhamtpon to Stafford via Brewood was the one which operated on Sundays and evenings, so you should be OK (please check for up to date times tho!). Wolverhampton bus station is right outside the railway station - maybe 200 yards walk.

I also found Compton OK for mooring - couple of miles further down the Staffie. There are buses to Wolverhampton but if I remember correctly they weren't good at night or Sundays.

Cheers

I also found Compton OK for mooring - couple of miles further down the Staffie. There are buses to Wolverhampton but if I remember correctly they weren't good at night or Sundays.

Are any buses good on Sunday, generally find legs work best on the weekends :(

Are any buses good on Sunday, generally find legs work best on the weekends :(

How about the new "Police" site - it shows incidents of reported crimes by area - a quick look at the areas around us seem to confirm "local knowledge" - I thought it quite good....

www.police.uk

Nick

i always found that there was a few moorings just after the boatyard on the shroppie (may have changed now ) as for buses what was WMPTE/westmidlands travel/whatever they are now operate into the estate on the north side of Autherley Junction. the worst that has hapeened to me was being set adrift at Brewood and having to climb over someones garden gate to recover the boat!!