it's curtains for me!

Guest wanted

Featured Posts

So, our curtains are quite frankly offensive, I can only discribe them as what I expect the inside of albert hoffmans head to look like. What I need is a cheap source of plain curtains. Or somebody who can make them? It was suggested anchor supplies but they don't have any. Ideas, contacts or offers welcome. Ta Rob

So, our curtains are quite frankly offensive, I can only discribe them as what I expect the inside of albert hoffmans head to look like. What I need is a cheap source of plain curtains. Or somebody who can make them? It was suggested anchor supplies but they don't have any. Ideas, contacts or offers welcome. Ta Rob

ebay?...find them long enough to double back on themselves and then you don't need linings and they look pretty from the outside too.

We had a sort of nicotiney...swirly pattern with flowers....

We bought some very dark blue dye...and were very pleased with the result..

You can still make out flowers..but they have become shades of dark blue...and look quite nice now..

Bob

Thats what Charlottes for!!!!!

{he said while retreating swiftly and without turning his back on the foe} :help:

I have a load of really nice brand new burgundy velvet curtains with black and gold paisley trim and lined with black fleece. The catch? They were made for portholes and measure only 2' x 1' each.

However, there are enough of them (24) that someone could stitch them together to make some bigger curtains. Otherwise I was thinking of getting them stitched together to produce a funky blanket!

Any reasonable offer accepted. If you're interested I could bring a couple over to Brentford one weekend.

Edited by blackrose

Thats what Charlottes for!!!!!

{he said while retreating swiftly and without turning his back on the foe} :help:

Hi Stuart,Charlotte here, I know where you live!

I have a load of really nice brand new burgundy velvet curtains with black and gold paisley trim and lined with black fleece. The catch? They were made for portholes and measure only 2' x 1' each.

However, there are enough of them (24) that someone could stitch them together to make some bigger curtains. Otherwise I was thinking of getting them stitched together to produce a funky blanket!

Any reasonable offer accepted. If you're interested I could bring a couple over to Brentford one weekend.

Cheers Mike, I'm after a lighter colour than burgandy, thanks though.

OOPS, suppose its no good asking how you are after your recent illness, I am but a mere mortal prone to weakness and errors of judgment :help:

I'm much better now thankyou, I forgive your weakness. You're not a football commentator are you?

Thankyou,seems I'm not the only one prone to errors of judgment. What is football? :D

Its alright Stu, I'm back in control. C has gone to do something to do with the washing! Safe for now!

Buy a sewing machine and make them yourself?

I'm sure there must be a decent textile market, in your neck of the woods and, if you can steer a jigsaw, you can steer a sewing machine.

Got an old singer under the bed(not jim Reeves) going to have a go

Got an old singer under the bed(not jim Reeves) going to have a go

Happy to give you some help might even offer to make them if you have some good boat fixing skills to offer in exchange.

It sounds like you are at Brentford and thats where I am at the moment although due off at the weekend (Hanwell locks permitting).

We have been looking at the material in Dunelm..

bit of a mixed bag, but during the sales or end of roll offers not so bad re price. plus they do lining materials for curtains, cushions and sell the sewing machines too..

so far we have (sorry I) have succumbed and bought foam sheets for seating/bed conversion and curtain material for the back wall of our bed..and a "gauze effect" for the ceiling - was having a lawrence LLewlyn moment!

You need to work out the total yardage for all the windows,including an inch & a half turn over at the top & 3" hem (you need a decent hem to weight the thing down). If you want to cut out all light, they need to be either thicker fabric or have linings (same yardage)then you add the cost of curtain tape & hooks (if going on rails)Or rings(if going on bars (we have thin brass poles)then add the cost of thread (you can get through a couple of reels on curtains)THEN decide if that & the time it takes you to make from scratch is worth it. I gave up making curtains when we had a T J Hughes open in town, I calculate the nearest size & then shorten them(last pair £90, I got for £19)I couldn't make a pair for that. Bespoke curtains don't come cheap, anywhere-unless you take up Stellar's offer of a barter.

Ready made curtains come in standard sizes 45" 54" 60" 72" 90" wide With combinations of the same sizes in depth

Once you have the yardage, have a look in some charity shops, there are some good buys to be had, & usually the sizes have been marked on the tickets. You can cut down one decent pair for a whole boat & still have some left & save yourself half the sewing time.

I'm trying to work out how to re-cover those big round trebor mints you shove in port holes, we've got six of 'em, without having to make a top, bottom & 'gusset' thingy on each one.

I do curtains. Im a boater. I make them all from the comfort of my own boat. Im also in London. Im very reasonably priced. (low overheads ya see.. low ceiling too actually)

If you are interested at all, ive got a wee website I made that has my contact details on it and a couple of examples of the curtains I've made recently.

Boat Curtains

B)

Thanks for all your ideas, and stella, sorry I missed you, if you need some help at some point let me know. I managed to get 5 pairs of curtains for £10.99 on ebay in the end. Honey rider, I love your stuff maybe I'll be recovering the seats soon? Ta Rob