fishing

Featured Posts

A Rod Licence costs £23 - which is for the season April to April (2004/5 Prices).

There is no part fee for a part season so if you buy now it will still cost you £23 but only last until April.

This is the fee for "Coarse" fish and "non-migratory trout" (whatever they are!).

If you want to fish for "Game" fish like Salmon, then the fee is more - but you shouldn't find many Salmon in the Coventry Canal!

If you head onto the canal you will sometimes see lengths which are reserved for some Angling Club or other - these clubs will have purchased fishing rights for their members from BW and then charge the members a fee for club membership.

Sometimes day tickets are available for these stretches which you can buy from the club or sometimes a local tackle shop.

If the length is not "owned" by a club, then you can fish there FOC.

Obviously you are not going to be popular with boaters if you fix your peg to a visitor mooring or too near a lock!

Hope this helps!

Again there seems to be two very simillar threads running.

"I have always understood that you are permitted to fish off your boat anywhere on the canal system, provided your boat is fully licensed etc. I have seen it in in official BW documents but I can't remember where".

I and a friend have been fishing off our boats for 20 years, we've never been challenged once.

John Squeers

Hmm - perhaps the converse is worth a try?

If I buy a rod licence for £23, can I cruise my boat for free so long as the rod is out and the hook is dangling in the water?

I would be interested if you found where you saw that information John - I have never been challenged either, but then again I have never seen a bailiff!

Hmm - perhaps the converse is worth a try?

If I buy a rod licence for £23, can I cruise my boat for free so long as the rod is out and the hook is dangling in the water?

I would be interested if you found where you saw that information John - I have never been challenged either, but then again I have never seen a bailiff!

If you use your noodle and fish out the side door with a short rod who's to know.

PS For best results make sure that your side door is on the water side, there ain't many fish on the towpath. B):o:o:o

Edited by maffi mushkila

Maffi: There are little fish on the tow path side......brown ones :o

Hardly worth getting the rod out for though :o

Maybe a small spade.

sorry couldn't resist that...... lol

Repeat after me

I must try harder I must try harder I must try harder I must try harder

A man calls the vet out to see his rabbit and the vet says im'e afraid it is dead sir.

No says the man it can't be i fed it this morning.

No said the vet it is definatly dead.

No no i can't believe that i want a second oppinion.

Ok said the vet.

five minuits later a labrador came in and sniffed it ,poked it with its nose and walked out.

Then a few minuits later a cat came in pawed it and sniffed it ,and left as well.

Right said the vet it is dead and that will be £300 .

What said the man £300 what for and im'e still waiting for the scecond oppinion!

Well what more do you want said the vet, you have my personol diognocis , youve had a lab report and a cat scan the rabit is dead.

As I was walking along the K&A the other day I noticed a lot of people fishing. I guess that there was some kind of event on. I am a sea fisher and fly-fisher and so I know what coarse fishing is but never actually seen anybody catch anything. However, these guys were catching quite a lot. I was amazed to see that the fish they were catching (on their many-hundreds-of-pounds-worth of rods and tackle) were no bigger than a [very small] fishfinger! I must say that I can't see the point. To me, fishing is great when you go out with a minimum of equipment, catch some nice tasty trout, salmon, etc, and then head home to barbecue them or roast or whatever takes your fancy and have a delicious meal. It seems a bit pitiful to spend all day catching these poor little tiny piddlers only to chuck them all back at the end of the day.

Still, each to their own...

This baffles me too - there is the occasional competition running in the cutting by us and all they catch is tinies - but then they use such small hooks.

Personally, I use a big hook with a good sized bait - and catch good sized fish.

Last week's 2lb eel was delicious apparently!

Personally, I use a big hook with a good sized bait - and catch good sized fish.

Last week's 2lb eel was delicious apparently!

Ah, a man after my own heart. I used to catch eels in the stream round the back of my house. Just put a bit of catfood or rabit guts in a fishing net, waiting for them to come, and then scooped them into a bucket. Brilliant. :o

Didn't know you could catch decent sized fish in the canal. What kind of thing can you catch, and what bait? etc. ...

I have no idea what some of the fish are!

I have caught many of the flatter silvery fish - but wifey says these are too boney to be worth the effort.

Better are the Bream which you can see coming - intermittent bubbles give their location away as they sift food from the bottom.

There are others which I understand to be Roach/Bream hybrids - tasty and not too bad to bone given a decent weight of fish to start with.

My largest "regular" non-eel fish weighed in at just over 3lb but last year some lucky young lad pulled out a Carp at Norbury well into double figures.

Never caught a Pike although I once saw something suck a duckling from the surface on the Llangollen near Ellesmere.

Eels are fun to prepare for the pan.

A boater friend recommended nailing them through the head to a fence post for skinning and although I haven't tried this myself (I don't have a fence post!) I can vouch for it being tricky.

First stun your eel - if you stun it enough, the chances are that it will be dead, but the eels' nervous system won't give out for a good half hour - even if you have killed it.

Slit through the skin just behind the gills.

One person now holds the eel by the head - wrapped in newspaper as they are slippery - while the other takes a pair of plyers and starts to pull back the skin in the same sort of way that you use to open a corned beef tin - winding the skin onto the pliers.

Eventually you will have enough skin loose to be able to grasp it in newspaper and both of you pull in opposite directions.

The skin then comes off.

Gutting is exactly the same as for other fish after removal of the head.

Note to the squeemish....

Eels are difficult to convince that they are dead.

Even after the head is removed, they continue to squirm and wrap themselves around your arm.

Pointing the head at the severed body doesn't seem to convince the animal either.

Once prepared, they can be dropped into a pan of boiling water to poach - but make sure the lid is heavy so they don't escape!

• 4 months later...