Wide Beam

rog guiver

Featured Posts

While we are talking about tunnels, could you possibly get someone at BW to explain BW's involvement ( and the cost) of the appalling (my opinion) light show in the North Oxford's Newbold Tunnel.

I never seen said tunnel.

- But ive often wondered why there arent lights in our tunnels.

- I would seam and obvoulsy step into the 19th century, and relatively easy and inexpesive.

Daniel

Ten groups of red, blue and green floodlights have been installed in the Newbold Tunnel on the Oxford Canal, in Rugby, to create the effect. The lights are being switched on as part of the town's Diwali, the Hindu festival of light, celebrations, but will remain for some months. British Waterways and the borough council funded the £195,000 scheme.

Eugene,

While we are talking about tunnels, could you possibly get someone at BW to explain BW's involvement ( and the cost) of the appalling (my opinion) light show in the North Oxford's Newbold Tunnel.

Thanks

Hi Roger (and everyone else)

Hopefully the following will help explain what's happened at Newbold Tunnel and address some misperceptions! Sorry it's taken a little while, I have other things on my plate too :)

The lights are switched on between the hours of 0800 and sunset, rather than at night. I noticed one poster wondered why they were on when he passed through; they should be! Obviously, the best illumination effects from the lights would be during the hours of darkness, but firstly there aren'tthat many boats that ventire our after dusk, secondly it could have the effect of attracting unwanted anti-social behaviour and thirdly, we can't forget the bats that use the tunnel and would (rather obviously!) be inconvenienced by the lights.

As many of you will know, Newbold tunnel is in the minority of tunnels in that it has a towpath. The new lights create a lighter and hopefully safer environment for all those that use the tunnel during normal daylight hours.

Granted, £195,000 is a substantial investment, but less than 20% of this money was actually spent on the lights (which cost £34.5k) – and neither did it all come out of British Waterways’ budget. The project was co-financed by Rugby Borough Council, who provided half the money and were particularly keen on funding the tunnel lighting. Going forward, it is the council that will be paying the electricity costs of the lighting – BW’s role will simply be to maintain them.

The entire project (£195k) included towpath widening, mooring improvements, drainage enhancements, refurbished signage, tunnel towpath repairs, motorcycle barriers and the lighting scheme. Without the involvement of Rugby Borough Council we could not have completed all of these improvements on the North Oxford.

Finally, I think there has been some confusion about the link with Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Light. The switch-on event, which was performed by the Mayor of Rugby, was timed to tie-in with Rugby town’s Diwali celebrations (it seemed appropriate). However, the lights are a permanent fixture!

Hopefully this helps, even if I can't change your opinion on the aesthetics of them Roger!

Best wishes, Eugene

Hi Eugene, thanks for your explanation.

The results are obviously popular in some areas; according to a friend who is moored near there, almost every day this week there have been apparently-professional photo-shoots going on. One day there was a very 'interestingly' dressed transvestite with extremely high heels, whose photogropher persuaded him to try and climb up the path beside and above the tunnel - with absolutely hilarious results.

Is BW able to collect any revenue from these activities?

Allan

The lights are switched on between the hours of 0800 and sunset.

Would it not be more sensorable to have them set up to run off a PIR system? (and a timer, so they dont come on at night)

- How many lights are there.

- They must what 15/20 each one been somthing like 500/300 watt each or more?

Daniel