Looking out for Each Other

PatM293

Featured Posts

I've just been reading the Regrets topic,and agree that preperation is everything. The reason I'm stuck in the House is that my boat is still being converted and prepped for Long term use (ex hire )Even after reading the horror stories of surviving the harsh winters, I still believe that this is the life I want. I know that the boating community are a close knit crowd and willing to help each other out, so I was shocked to read these stories 'Boater Dies in Canal' & Dogs left to starve on board' on NarrowBoatWorld. A sad case indeed.

Keep safe & warm out there, and look in on a neighbouring Boater. Best Wishes to you all.

I've just been reading the Regrets topic,and agree that preperation is everything. The reason I'm stuck in the House is that my boat is still being converted and prepped for Long term use (ex hire )Even after reading the horror stories of surviving the harsh winters, I still believe that this is the life I want. I know that the boating community are a close knit crowd and willing to help each other out, so I was shocked to read these stories 'Boater Dies in Canal' & Dogs left to starve on board' on NarrowBoatWorld. A sad case indeed.

Keep safe & warm out there, and look in on a neighbouring Boater. Best Wishes to you all.

There is no mention that somebody died? The dogs were left to fend for themselves by the owner with no food left out. It was boaters that raised the alarm.

Paul

Edited by pandajulienne

There is no mention that somebody died? The dogs were left to fend for themselves by the owner with no food left out. It was boaters that raised the alarm.

Paul

Sorry it says 'Man was in water several days'think you should read again. I do understand that some boaters just want to be left alone, and would get upset if any busybody interrupted the peace & tranquility they'd found. Sign of the times I guess. The owner of the dogs! what happened to them ? Hospital,lost or just a case of cruelty & neglect ?

We lived on a boat through last winter (first time) and found it fine. Was glad of having over boaters round and we all helped out when need be. Was very fortunate to be moored near the guys that we were.

Not on boat at the mo as are waiting for our new shell to be finished but desperate to get back on the water.

Cheers

Frank

Sorry it says 'Man was in water several days'think you should read again. I do understand that some boaters just want to be left alone, and would get upset if any busybody interrupted the peace & tranquility they'd found. Sign of the times I guess. The owner of the dogs! what happened to them ? Hospital,lost or just a case of cruelty & neglect ?

This is the article that I read on Narrowboat World YesterdayMy link

This story was posted today My link

So I read the article correctly THANKYOU

Paul

Edited by pandajulienne

<snip>

so I was shocked to read these stories 'Boater Dies in Canal' & Dogs left to starve on board' on NarrowBoatWorld.

<snip>

Paul

To be fair to PatM293, I think they were referring to two different stories, not that a boater died and consequently the dogs were left to starve. I think that the three (!) single quotes were meant to indicate that

More to the point, I've now visited the Narrowboatworld site TWICE by following the links. I feel all dirty now...

Richard

This is my favourite time of year on the boat. The only (working) heating I've ever had is the Boatman stove and it's right down one end of the 65ft boat, and yet every winter I'm cosy and happy and adapted to the nuances of heating a long thin space (and wearing jumpers and having hot water bottles at strategic times if necessary!) very quickly. I love the winter on the boat - way better than the summer with creepy crawlies, and too many people about, and too hot in the sun. This is winter number four for me (and mine's an ex hire boat and the only tarting up it's had is the Boatman stove!)

Paul

Sorry Paul, wasn't getting at you, my fault for incorrect punctuation etc, still, it shouldn't happen in this day & age.