List of the most buzzing places

DeanS

Featured Posts

I can't help thinking you're missing the point here.

The most excellent aspect of boating is turning up in some half-forgotten village somewhere and then getting unexpectedly involved in the most massive piss up ever.

The last time this happened to me was in the George & Dragon in Arlewas, which I heartily recommend. But of course you could turn up on a night when there's two blokes and a sheepdog in there, who knows? That's all part of the fun.

The other thing to remember is that, in times of boredom, you can always summon up a decent party crowd by declaring a CWDF banter. Just remember we're travelling by boat, so a bit of notice is handy.

I think there's a difference between going out on a bit of a canal holiday, turn around and go home at the end...a few pubs along the way...away from busy life etc....to living on the canals permanently month after month, without aiming for hubs of some activity. I think one of the points of boating is to get somewhere at your own pace, enjoy the trip, but ALSO the destination :)

but yes...those unexpected small village Sat markets, are the best....

Edited by DeanS

If you are looking for buzzin' (horrible phrase) you need to consider events to add spice to the visit. You mention Stratford on Avon, visit when the river festival is on and its great fun :cheers: You will neecd to plan if you take this route and possibly pre-book moorings, but can be great fun fitting in events.

If you are looking for buzzin' (horrible phrase) you need to consider events to add spice to the visit. You mention Stratford on Avon, visit when the river festival is on and its great fun :cheers: You will neecd to plan if you take this route and possibly pre-book moorings, but can be great fun fitting in events.

:) buzzin........a made up word to describe the difference between the Scarborough sea side compared to Redcar beachfront. (Google:)

Yep, if anyone knows dates of events, that would be great. All this info is going on a mega Google earth map I've created. Does anyone know how it's possible to then save a Google earth map so it can be shared with other boaters. My map currently has layers for all the Tesco,Morrisons, aldi, Sainsburies, ATMS, Free museams, police stations, canal network, Nandos, Macdonalds, pubs,KFC, libraries, hospitals, B&Qs and more.

I'd be happy to keep building it and share it on a website.

How come all the pics I see of Gas street basin in Birmingham have no people in them.....

They were either taken years ago, or in the middle of some miserable weather, I'm thinking ?

It is fairly unusual for there not to be a hoard of people around the Gas Street Basin area.

I know many lament the loss of the old Brum, around that area, but I love the teeming vibrant area around there, and being able to moor up, and go straight into the city.

The climb into Brum up through the Farmers Bridge flight fascinated me when I first did it in the 1970s, and still gives me just as much of a buzz now.

They were either taken years ago, or in the middle of some miserable weather, I'm thinking ?

It is fairly unusual for there not to be a hoard of people around the Gas Street Basin area.

I know many lament the loss of the old Brum, around that area, but I love the teeming vibrant area around there, and being able to moor up, and go straight into the city.

<snip>

I can't think of anywhere more 'buzzin' than Broad Street on a Saturday night

Richard

Edited by RLWP

How come all the pics I see of Gas street basin in Birmingham have no people in them.....I'm looking for places like Stratford upon Avon, where the marina is a central part of the town.......I think some of the enjoyment is mooring up knowing you're a little bit of a spectacle..... ..;-)

There were plenty of people there when we moored in Brum this summer. And bustling bars, nightclubs, restaurants, shops, sea world centre etc all within a few steps. Or moor in the centre of Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, London and a host of other places where the canal and the canal users are part of the spectacle. And where every sort of happening event - including some you might not appreciate like middle of the night drunks - are at hand. You won't be in a marina though but on the canalside (or in the docks at Liverpool).

Can I add Milton Keynes? Often derided, it has a great array of restaurants, bars, pubs, theatre, red light district, all of which can be reached with a short uphill walk from the canal.

Fenny Stratford, just to the south, has a number of gay, lesbian and transgender clubs within close proximity.

Take your pick.

Edited by Dominic M

Liverpool is fab by boat.

Manchester (mooring by science museum) is faberoonie and if you like parades then try the Manchester pride (aug bank hol) family friendly.

Runcorn boat club (bridgewater motor boat club). Down the Runcorn arm on bridgewater. Nice friendly boat club with good facilities.

My favourite place is stone in the staff and worcs. Or hold on I like Market drayton on the shroppie too.

Wolverhampton at Compton is pretty.

The list could be endless.

I liked Leeds and York and shipton as a kid bur haven't managed to get there on my own boat as an adult yet.

Like the wides on t and m near near northwich and if you are that way then you must go on the weaver.

Anyway good luck and happy cruising x

This suggested topic isgreat for all us relative newbies and would be interested in his maps if he can find a way to save & publish

I think I've found a way. Try download this kmz file in your browser, and then go file...open...in Google Earth, and let me know if it gives you all the data. When you close Google earth, it should then prompt you to move it from a temp layer to a permanent one.

http://www.imagestorage.info/canaloverview.kmz

If it does, I'll set up an official site with a list of layers added etc.. I need to say that all of the data is a collection of layers provided by many others, and just added on one kmz file. (about 3.5megs at the moment)

Edited by DeanS

Does anyone know if arriving in popular places needs pre-booking for moorings. I'm still a little confused about "visitor moorings", which I believe are provided by BW, as 24, 48hr moorings.... and 14days on towpaths..... but lets say we were travelling towards Birmingham or some popular place, and we wanted to stay a month, with elec....would that be something we could arrange....simply by phoning any marina in the area ? Is there specific terminology.?

Keep this thread on top.....Im copying peoples comments onto Google Earth marker descriptions.

Can I add Milton Keynes? Often derided, it has a great array of restaurants, bars, pubs, theatre, red light district, all of which can be reached with a short uphill walk from the canal.

Fenny Stratford, just to the south, has a number of gay, lesbian and transgender clubs within close proximity.

Take your pick.

A great theatre! 

Regards

Dan

Does anyone know if arriving in popular places needs pre-booking for moorings. I'm still a little confused about "visitor moorings", which I believe are provided by BW, as 24, 48hr moorings.... and 14days on towpaths..... but lets say we were travelling towards Birmingham or some popular place, and we wanted to stay a month, with elec....would that be something we could arrange....simply by phoning any marina in the area ? Is there specific terminology.?

Keep this thread on top.....Im copying peoples comments onto Google Earth marker descriptions.

BW visitor moorings are on a first come first served basis on the whole. No pre booking just turn up and hope there is a space or someone willing to let you raft/breast up where permitted.

If you want to stay somewhere for a month you would have to find a marina/private mooring. BW allow upto 14 days on the towpath but after that time you would have to move on. Visitor moorings have set time limits.

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Bristol Floating Harbour.It's the buzziest place i have been to on the system. It's great fun, with a variety of moorings allowing you to be in the middle of the bars and clubs, or in slightly more quiet areas.

Its close to the town centre, and with lot's of attractions right on the waterfront.

Phylis's post is spot on. You would be termed a Continuous Cruiser and there are conditions applied to that licence, see the following page:

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/license-it/licence-terms-and-conditions

The relevant section is this copied below, but it might be worth you reading through the whole thing just so that you are more familiar with the terms and conditions before you get involved.

2. Use of the boat

2.1 The Licence allows you to use the Boat in any Waterway including mooring for short periods while cruising. 'Short period' means up to 14 days or less where a local restriction applies. The Licence does not permit mooring for any longer period.

HTH

Roger

Phylis's post is spot on. You would be termed a Continuous Cruiser and there are conditions applied to that licence, see the following page:

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/license-it/licence-terms-and-conditions

The relevant section is this copied below, but it might be worth you reading through the whole thing just so that you are more familiar with the terms and conditions before you get involved.

2. Use of the boat

2.1 The Licence allows you to use the Boat in any Waterway including mooring for short periods while cruising. 'Short period' means up to 14 days or less where a local restriction applies. The Licence does not permit mooring for any longer period.

HTH

Roger

If you are a continuous cruiser, are you allowed to arrive at a place and decide to pay a local marina to remain there for a month (elec hookup), before returning to continuous cruising again (self elec generation). eg, let's say we are crusing from Dewsbury to Bristol....are we allowed to stop at a private marina near Coventry for a month, and then continue. (It's not our plan, but I'd like to know)

If you are a continuous cruiser, are you allowed to arrive at a place and decide to pay a local marina to remain there for a month (elec hookup), before returning to continuous cruising again (self elec generation). eg, let's say we are crusing from Dewsbury to Bristol....are we allowed to stop at a private marina near Coventry for a month, and then continue. (It's not our plan, but I'd like to know)

Yes that is perfectly acceptable. You can also rent BW visitor mooring spaces during the winter months. Many CCers take advantage of this during the colder winter months.

Yes, yet again Phylis has beaten me to it. You will find that in the summer marinas often have spaces available for temporary moorings because some of their regular moorers are out cruising. They will offer temporary moorings to you but you pay a bit of a premium for them because you are temporary. In the winter it is more difficult to get a space unless you book well in advance.

As Phylis has also said you can get BW turning some 14 day moorings into long term (about 5 month I think) winter moorings (they do so here in central Skipton for example) but they probably won't have electricity and you might have to move to a local BW facility to get water/toilet disposal. That can be a problem if you get weather like we are experiencing at the moment. Winter moorings can be a balancing act between cost versus available facilities.

One possible ray of hope on the horizon for you is that, I believe, the supply of marina spaces seems to me to be outstripping the demand from boaters (for various reasons but that is another debate). This might mean that over-winter moorings are more readily available and cheaper but we will have to wait and see whether that really happens.

Roger

some places you can book and stay at -

I can't recommend this place enough - we had an excellent week here last year, was about £7 a night (including electricity) The Saltisford Arm, Warwick Lots to do in Warwick, very good pubs near these moorings as well.

you can pay to moor here Sherborne Wharf in the centre of Brum.

My favourite places I've been so far?

Well, on the River Lee, you can moor near Waltham Abbey, that's a pretty town, with a market, good pubs.

Ware, again small town, quite well to do - we usually moor just outside, by the nature reserve (after Hardmead Lock no. 3, about halfway before the first footbridge), then Hertford, the visitor moorings are really nice, if they are full, moor next to the cottages and use pins (I've checked with a resident, she said they welcome boaters as long as they're not drunken hirers lol) theres nice pubs, a market and a castle in Hertford.

On the Stort - I love Sawbridgeworth, best place to moor is above Sawbridgeworth Lock, just beyond the big house, you can use chains as it's piled. The village is pretty but my main reason for stopping there is five enormous old maltings buildings full of antiques and bric-a-brac all at reasonable prices, any kind of junk you want, including vintage tool, wartime stuff, books, china, costume jewellery, the lot.

Bishops Stortford - it's better to moor either side of the winding hole, not near the bridge, if you want a quiet night, but again you are right in the town.

Other places I loved:

Another vote for Birmingham

Leeds city centre moorings - there are gated ones (access with bw key) just before office lock on the Leeds and Liverpool if you are travelling West to East (I'm writing this from memory - if I'm wrong someone correct me) also more visitor ones with mains hook up in Clarence Dock.

Whilst we're talking about the Leeds and Liverpool, Skipton is a must for us to visit and also I love Saltaire, you can moor right outside Salts Mill

Hebden Bridge on the Rochdale canal is lovely, another vote for Nantwich.

Then what about the Thames and Oxford, (which we did this summer), you are spoilt on the Thames - most towns are really quite special. We liked Walton, Eton and Windsor, Eynsham, Oxford (you moor right in town and the moorings are really peaceful) and Lechlade is a real treat at the end (we moored outside the pub - free mooring, free wifi, but there are field moorings nearby). On the Oxford Canal you've got Banbury, Cropredy (v. jealous of cotswoldsman being iced in there, loved that place so much) and Napton is only a small place, but really liked it.

oh and Paddington Basin /Little Venice in London.

Edited by Lady Muck

Yes, yet again Phylis has beaten me to it. You will find that in the summer marinas often have spaces available for temporary moorings because some of their regular moorers are out cruising. They will offer temporary moorings to you but you pay a bit of a premium for them because you are temporary. In the winter it is more difficult to get a space unless you book well in advance.

As Phylis has also said you can get BW turning some 14 day moorings into long term (about 5 month I think) winter moorings (they do so here in central Skipton for example) but they probably won't have electricity and you might have to move to a local BW facility to get water/toilet disposal. That can be a problem if you get weather like we are experiencing at the moment. Winter moorings can be a balancing act between cost versus available facilities.

One possible ray of hope on the horizon for you is that, I believe, the supply of marina spaces seems to me to be outstripping the demand from boaters (for various reasons but that is another debate). This might mean that over-winter moorings are more readily available and cheaper but we will have to wait and see whether that really happens.

Roger

Many thanks. We'll be needing a good winter mooring for Oct2011-Feb2012. I'll be looking out for locations :)

I believe, the supply of marina spaces seems to me to be outstripping the demand from boaters (for various reasons but that is another debate). This might mean that over-winter moorings are more readily available and cheaper but we will have to wait and see whether that really happens.

Roger

I met a boater at puddlebanks when we were there in October, he says he just goes to a half-empty marina and haggles the price down, if he wants a winter mooring.